Gold Bug 2 problems

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was given a gold bug 2 by someone to whom it was also given by the person who used it I think. I was told it just needs a new coil but I want to make sure that's the case. It doesn't seem to really be working right but I don't know how to use a detector yet either. I can't see anything on the outside that would suggest that the coil is broken.

[video]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/WIzwHi_pjSyZUuPjVtJZ93wvKfEvI27x9v9Ypt6aEiOBoRpVQl sd5poBT21Doxug2GRdVRrwNcIk4f4Z8L0xBPC_O94oxEa1mRcn KXx4aYtM_r-poNSoxAoYmttyJiQyPPNJ2z-f1d6SxVcfHWJuPcHoPwQvOSfxcLK-tjvH5ZwQ0dodX6za__GTieVXN7YGTUSJBGChVFxemlbHQQRvgx cjnBZ6G1728p5kyI_PMsEuBGHuQzkYERkjLA3YUsEYJblkAnuV T5DyRWoTRKTZAtPyRsZQg6U-uS2m6Xd6wL8pgodTW3JL8u-npkXiRBps9oyiQDSOZdgXsyu2KIQiQLE2pROw9C0Gx26VZSTp5 UfGk9A3ipnL91x_Ua90P-0ylnEjjAklb-Clj0DbBnlQmBjr0LuSZAzjnNX4kRlAzaqX0EElk-A6QSqJERGyofBTpn6JNsc85o42IYzH1Pc9rEdcM0qkMMa2EJzj eEBOsjKpRdCLExLVr3ChO4MzZ3Fyh_w_GgW2Ij_RkZplc_LANY f9l2iifnzZAzrGp-I5f-ezHL8_BOEWkBIGVEWw6z1yPa5mYxP-syG_NBDT90qCZgyZs0hxtGTtydqu8m_9BISSj2rCE9IPSwqBLL jAINtf8iS-s7z9Bgfgk3GyAUzKnHFXyGrSUmIW3iWs02N5zgVxSeQjBvuItz I-1t3u3g=m15?cpn=qAvVzoXDrgmapToG&c=WEB_EMBEDDED_PLAYER&cver=20200814[/video]

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a really sensitive machine and is sometimes hard to keep ground balanced on really hot ground. Anything you put that coil over, and I mean sub-grain on up - from 2"-8" deep, is in your poke. Took a lot of placer gold out of Arizona mountains and deserts with the GBII.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What coil does it have on it? Your link just takes me to a google log in page..

#1 is it a legit Fisher GB2?
#2 fresh batteries?
#3 can you get a threshold tone?
#4 does the battery check give you a nice loud loud high pitched squeal?
#5 have you re-wrapped the coil differently?
#6 have you checked the contacts where the coil attaches to the head? It should push on with just a little resistance. Take batteries out and clean both sides with electrical cleaner.
#7 do you have a detecting buddy in your area that has a GB2 that will let you test a coil for a couple minutes?

If it’s all silent, be sure and run it over a coin to see if it’s stuck in iron ID mode.
I’ve never had any troubles over the 12 years I’ve been using one...just several coils and a few more switches. Piece of cake to do yourself.

Otherwise ship it to the factory. It’s worth having it repaired.

OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I tried starting up following the procedure in the user manual. I’ve gone through your list, IMAUDIGGER, everything seems good except I don’t have someone around here to test their coil. I wrapped the wire up higher on the stick. I assume you want as little as possible near the coil?

I went outside and passed it over a quarter as well as a vial of gold. Maybe with the sensitivity all the way up there is a slight deviation in the threshold but not really.

The battery test sound is there but it’s not what I would call loud even at full volume. I can make the threshold tone very loud though. At certain settings the tone gets a little crackly and if I switch to iron disc the sound is very broken.

I tried fiddling with all the settings but it’s just not picking anything up really. Passing over large things like my car or chunks of steel give a very faint signal.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Time to send it in to Fisher. :dontknow:

OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So you don’t think there’s any reason it could be a coil problem? I can try to find someone with another coil to test it on but I guess what I need to know is do the coils have problems occasionally or is that not likely the problem?

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
If there is a problem with your unit , WHY RISK someone else's coil ? Like Terry say's , send it to Fisher to get it checked out and repaired and maybe there's a update that can be installed in your MDer !

OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
russau, would plugging in a good coil to a bad machine ruin the coil?

I'm trying to see about sending it into fisher but their website has not been responding at all today.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Goldbug 2 is an analog type machine as far as I know. No software updates.

Personally...I’d take the risk of plugging in another coil.

Fisher can tune the detector.
I’m pretty sure for a flat fee they will diagnose it and provide a quote.

Every time I’ve had a coil go bad, it simply got to the point it would give a false reading every time it got bumped or moved quickly. I keep threatening to take one apart to see what’s going on. I suspect the wire windings get stretched and start bouncing? I don’t think they are epoxy filled coils.

I’d also pull the case off and make sure the inside isn’t all corroded up either from water damage or leaking batteries. It’s pretty easy...just take off that large diameter nut on the back of the unit. It slides off with the controls still attached with wires. Pretty easy to take a peek without opening a can of worms.

Maybe you will see a connection that came loose.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Good replies ! I think your always better off asking before doing if you just don't know ! ESSPECIALLY, here with people of various ability's and experience's !

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course who knows what's going on with the virus...been waiting for a shipment from new York for almost a month!

Sending it in might mean having to wait a couple months.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Owen, hope you find a fix soon so you can get out detecting, lots of fun hunting for nuggets.

All the best,

Lanny

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Owen, maybe if you know someone else with a GB2, ask them if they know what could be wrong...maybe with the right prompting it will be their idea to try their coil out on your machine.........?

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good to know you're getting somewhere with your detector.

All the best,

Lanny

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sent it to fisher. They said the coil is fine but they’re replacing the circuit board. $115

If I had a used GB2 getting worked on at Fisher, I’d have them replace the iron ID switch and possibly the headphone jack at the same time.

The switch for sure! Ask for the old one back. If you use this detector you will not regret it. The switches are about the only thing that wears out.

OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I had a used GB2 getting worked on at Fisher, I’d have them replace the iron ID switch and possibly the headphone jack at the same time.

The switch for sure! Ask for the old one back. If you use this detector you will not regret it. The switches are about the only thing that wears out.

Well, I already got it back. Haven’t got a chance to use it yet though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread