Ive got a river spot. What detector would you recomend?

tutorus

Tenderfoot
Dec 4, 2007
I've got a river spot. What detector would you recomend?

My friend and I found 3.3 grams of nuggets in a river close to Los Angeles after a full day of panning in a black sands area. The biggest one is about 1.65 grams, there are 2 smaller ones and rest is like dust. we spent a full day, and even though the experience was rewardable, we've kept on wondering ourselves if a gold detector may be a better option.
Is there a not expensive detector special for small rivers? Do they work better than panning and hurt our backs joints?
We are willing to come back to that place before they close the area, a mining company started to built something no too far away of that spot. Coincidence? i don't know , but I hate those with their big money that always come after one found something worthy.
Sincerely,
Tutorus

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I've got a river spot. What detector would you recomend?

If they have the ability to close,you shouldn't have been there in the first place. GB2 or Tesoro Lobo Supertraq won't bankrupt ya like some brands and ya don't need to be a rocket scientist to run. Tesoro has auto,GB2 is manual GB.John

Willy

Garrett Infinium. If you're going after nuggets that are abt. 3 grains and over, in mineralized ground (and in the water), there's basically nothing out there that will match it. It's a ground tracking PI with a workable disc. that will, basically, blow away any of the VLF's out there. I was up in Alaska's Brooks range, with an MXT, while my buddy had an Infium.. he spanked me hard; it was really frustrating seeing him pulling up the deep nuggets from places I'd hunted with the MXT. I've read, on another forum, that some prospectors rate the Infinium as being the equivalent of a Minelab SD2200 for depth and sensitivity.. with better ID, battery utilization, ergonomics, and waterproof to 200'. ..Willy.

OP
OP
T

tutorus

Tenderfoot
Dec 4, 2007

Thank you very much. i'm going to check the brands and models you have
recommended.
First of all, the place is a national park 50 miles away from LA. When my friend first found the spot, nobody was building or searching over there. I don't understand how come, out of the blue, they started building an small complex close to the river. Fortunately the river comes all the way from the mountain top out of the boundaries of this construction. so, we got plenty of spots to start with.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wait a minute I am lost.....A mining company in a National Park????And like Jon said if they have the ability to shut it down,ie,a claim(which they probably do if they are putting up a building)you are claim jumping and can go to jail!!!!!Second no part of getting gold is easy! ;)

Willy

I didn't think that a person COULD mine or anything at a National park, but I'm from Canada so there. As for working ground that's claimed, if it's a hard-rock claim a person can still work the placer and, indeed, even overstake it with a placer claim AFAIK. ..Willy.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No you cant mine in a park of anykind,and I dont think you can remove any mineral from a claim,placer or hardrock.

Willy

If a person has a hardrock claim, he/she has no rights to the placer and vice-versa. If both the hardrock and placer are claimed.. then you're outta luck. ..Willy.

OP
OP
T

tutorus

Tenderfoot
Dec 4, 2007

Sorry people,
I've been wrong all the time. My friend just told me that the river where we found these nice nuggets is not in a national park but in this place close to the big bear mountains about 60 miles east of los Angeles CA.
Right now the mountains are covered by snow which is going to start to melt down this coming March. When the snow melts down the river is going to be like roaring rapids. i think that we need to wait until settles down to a small river in order to start our panning or may be using a detector in case I find the proper and convenient priced one.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

YEEEEEZ-HOLCOMBE VALLEY ain't no secret-I sold many 1,000's a books onthe area and just about everyone in LA has beat it to death. Gem Guide books are the source. Still tiny areas of interest-OC 49ers used to have huge claims up there too.Tons a au 2 u2-John

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.

Groundshaker said:
By the looks of his posting..I dont think he wanted it known (even though its popular) so i just said "H" valley etc to be polite. some people like to keep their locations private LOL (im not gonna tell you any secrets) LOLOL

Did someone utter the words HOLCOMBE VALLEY ... HOLCOMBE VALLEY ... HOLCOMBE VALLEY ... HOLCOMBE VALLEY ... HOLCOMBE VALLEY ? :D

F.

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B

And here I thought he was talking about the East Fork,San Gabriel Canyon. OOps did I type that outload dhoo.

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B

A detector will help you find mineralized soil and increase your chance of finding high grade areas to pan or set up that highbanker. Shoveling can be just as back breaking as panning especially if there is little color to show for it. It's part of the quest, if it was easy everyone would do it and it wouldn't have the same value. You don't have to find nuggets to make the detector usefull. Finding iron rich ground means you've found were heavier material has concentrated. Iron or black sand like gold is heavier than normal dirt and one is often in the same hole as the other.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread