Ga - Young Harris / Hiawassi area

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
I was walking along the Hiwassee river afew years ago and I remeber seeing thin yellow flakes underwater and on top of the sand...fool's gold, that is what I thought.

OP
OP
bradyboy

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can anyone tell me your thoughts on this?
Fools gold?
I wonder why so many veiwers but no posts to this question.
I could really use your help on this - please?

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
I live in Cleveland, Ga and have gold in my creek. Most of the rivers that run south out of Blairsville and Hiawassee have gold in them. Most of it is flour gold. A sluice works nicely for this. If you are on the south side of the Continental Divide you should have some luck. The gold belt runs right through Dahlonega and heads northeast towards Virginia and southeast into Alabama. If you have some specific names of rivers I can probably give you more specific info.

OP
OP
bradyboy

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for your reply
Ive been disappointed with the lack of response

OP
OP
bradyboy

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm actually trying to work backwords and looking for advice on rivers in my cabin area.
can you help?
Also, do I need a permit or somthing?

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
bradyboy said:
I'm actually trying to work backwords and looking for advice on rivers in my cabin area.
can you help?
Also, do I need a permit or somthing?

I would think so. There are active claims staked in that area, so be sure to find out where you can safely pan without trespassing on one.

I'm not from that area, so there are likely others that could offer more assistance closer to home. But, try this Google search and see if you come up with anything:
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q="gold+panning"+"Lake+Chatuge"&btnG=Search&meta=

Good luck!

F.

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Bradyboy, all rivers and creeks in the state of Ga. belong to the property owners to the center of the creek or river, unless it can be navigated by a commercial vessel. Screwed up I know, but you need to have permission from the land owner to do some gold mining. In the National forest you can pan, but you need to go talk to the local ranger first. I have found that in metal detecting the folks around here are pretty suspicious of everyone and it is hard to be accepted. I was taking to the ranger that gives the talks at the Dahlonega mint last year and he was telling me that you can gold mine under the state and county bridges as the county owns 25 feet in each direction from the center of the bridge. And as far as the state roads go you can mine 50 feet in each direction of the center line of the bridge. Keep in mine that you cannot undermine a bridge piling to do this. Also most farmers have their property fenced into rightaway of state owned property, which could lead into a missunderstanding or you looking down the barrel of a shotgun. I am kinda running 50/50 as far as getting permission here. Not too long ago I was able to hunt a property in Dahlonega that has an open gold mine to it and plan on returning. The Gold and Gem mining company in Cleveland offers all the gold mining you can stand. If you need more info let me know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread