food for thought on new ones wanting to hunt in arizona

al-nm

May 8, 2008
new mexico
Detector(s) used
6000xlpro
Kind of mixed feelings on some posts i have seen regarding people asking about nugget hunting in arizona. I see some say join a club like GPAA and others saying dont waste your time its hunted out. Don't know about others who hunt in arizona but everyone i know there has filed claims on areas. And not one person do i know who doesnt pack a pistol. After all its legal in arizona to pack heat. For the most people are nice and will either invite ya to join in or invite ya to leave in a fast pace. Don't forget there are also those who dont like anyone. And the desert is a lot of territory to try to find someone if they disappear. For begginers i personally do recommend GPAA they are always opening new areas. And at least you have others close by in case your bitten by snakes or scorpions or any other things that like to share your sleeping bags. Guess all i am saying is do some research and asking first. Also you can be standing in a low area there and sun be scorching you, but off ten miles away is a cloud. Next thing you hear is a rumbling. If you hear it your probably to late. Get to high ground. More people loose lives or camps and cars due to flash floods. Could make your trip a lot more pleasant to be around others familiar with things there. In any case i wish ya all the luck on finding a nugget.

Upvote 0

fubberbud

Greenie
Feb 25, 2005
Des Moines Eastsider, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eureka Gold, Tesoro Lobo ST
I can see your point. Hi everyone, I have a gold claim SW of Wickenburg and I use a Minelab Eureka Gold and just bought a Tesoro Lobo. Both are excellent in black sand and I suggest you take a MD that will work well in highly mineralized soil or sand. What I really want to say to you is this; there are a lot of varmints and plants in AZ that can make your day pretty miserable IF youā€™re not paying attention to what youā€™re doing, but depending on where you go in AZ it can lead to a great adventure! If youā€˜re going to be down south around the Mexico border then you could possibly see a few illegal or drug runners. I suggest you donā€™t go out in the desert without a little info about the area and a buddy to watch the back. I carry a pistol myself and recommend you do the same. Not just for bad boys but varmints like Javelina, rattlers, and coyotes. Iā€™ve been going to the desert a long time and havenā€™t run into to many bad people. Thereā€™s plenty of public land in AZ that you can use your MD and find gold if youā€™re persistent enough, mind you, there are a lot of gold claims also but most claim owners will tell you to leave or good luck. You need to read up a bit on how to recognize a gold claim. Itā€™s pretty simple, if you see posts or PVC in the ground out in the middle of no where itā€™s probably a gold claim. Anyway good luck and have fun.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
fubberbud said:
I can see your point. Hi everyone, I have a gold claim SW of Wickenburg and I use a Minelab Eureka Gold and just bought a Tesoro Lobo. Both are excellent in black sand and I suggest you take a MD that will work well in highly mineralized soil or sand. What I really want to say to you is this; there are a lot of varmints and plants in AZ that can make your day pretty miserable IF youā€™re not paying attention to what youā€™re doing, but depending on where you go in AZ it can lead to a great adventure! If youā€˜re going to be down south around the Mexico border then you could possibly see a few illegal or drug runners. I suggest you donā€™t go out in the desert without a little info about the area and a buddy to watch the back. I carry a pistol myself and recommend you do the same. Not just for bad boys but varmints like Javelina, rattlers, and coyotes. Iā€™ve been going to the desert a long time and havenā€™t run into to many bad people. Thereā€™s plenty of public land in AZ that you can use your MD and find gold if youā€™re persistent enough, mind you, there are a lot of gold claims also but most claim owners will tell you to leave or good luck. You need to read up a bit on how to recognize a gold claim. Itā€™s pretty simple, if you see posts or PVC in the ground out in the middle of no where itā€™s probably a gold claim. Anyway good luck and have fun.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:..fubberbud were did you get that handle at i like that fubberbud ya....

AZ-Mtnman

Jul 25, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Since I live here and been nuggetshooting for years, I'll add my 2 cents. If I were in your shoes, I'd use the X-Terra with either of the 18.75 khz coils. I've done some testing with it when it first came out and it handled the minerlazation really well. I just picked up one of my own, so I'll really be putting it thru it's paces soon. I'll send you some info on it about looking for gold. If you're only going to be coming out every once in a while, don't waste your money joining the GPAA. They want their dues whether you're swinging or not. If you want to join a club with the best chance of finding something, join the Weaver Mining District out of Congress, AZ. The dues are only $25 a year and they have some really nice gold on them. That applies whether you're talking about big, or just alot of character. There's alot of speciman gold in that area that could be missed by the PI's, so it may be worth your while to swing there. I've found gold there before with other VLF's, so it can be done. I mostly hunted that area with a Minelab PI, tho. If you're serious about wanting to find something, I can turn you on to some good areas that are open if you have a vehicle that can make it there.

Randy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
AzSports said:
Still around Gadabout - Jim?

Perhaps your in Az by now.
For whatever it's worth, I live here in Tucson and would strongly suggest bringing that pulse Infinium to AZ. This is the environment that detector was made for, and it functions great. The vlf's just cant get through the iron the way that Garrett can.
I'd also say join the goofy clubs. Gold is found where the gold is. If your not living in the area, a local club like DGD or the GPAA chapter is a great place to get started. You'll get maps and someone to go with if inclined. At 30 -70 dollars a year for dues, honestly, how much of a rip off can that be?
Az is a great place to prospect. Come for the fun, not as an investment. Flash floods, the heat, snakes and all that are easy to overcome if you do a little homework or just ask someone still chasing the dream.
This is what makes my mind go crazy...Bigjeff says no one in Az uses a Garrett in Az. they are no good in Az. then others tell me they are good out there!!! then i am told that you can find gold with any detector??????????????/

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Az-mtman ...... So you are saying that of all my detectors it is the X-Terra 70 that will do better in Az........do you know if any one uses the Minelab Sovereign for gold nuggets?.

AZ-Mtnman

Jul 25, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Jim, I don't know of anyone here that uses a Soverign for nuggets. They are a great machine, but not made to handle the minerlazation in the patches. Of the detectors you have, the X-Terra would be my choice, unless you happen to own a Minelab PI unit. You can find posts here and other places about gold being found with everything from a Bounty Hunter on up, but that is more luck than anything else. Your best chance of hunting without it becoming an exercise in frustration would be the 70.

Randy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
AZ-Mtnman said:
Jim, I don't know of anyone here that uses a Soverign for nuggets. They are a great machine, but not made to handle the minerlazation in the patches. Of the detectors you have, the X-Terra would be my choice, unless you happen to own a Minelab PI unit. You can find posts here and other places about gold being found with everything from a Bounty Hunter on up, but that is more luck than anything else. Your best chance of hunting without it becoming an exercise in frustration would be the 70.

Randy
AZ-Mtnman... well i will keep the 70 i am surprised the Infinium does not do well in AZ,,,,,,,,,Jim

AZ-Mtnman

Jul 25, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab
The Infinium was designed as a beach hunting machine, so it does well in that enviroment, but natural iron drives it crazy. I've used one in several of the patches around here, that's why my choice would be the X-Terra.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
AZ-Mtnman said:
The Infinium was designed as a beach hunting machine, so it does well in that enviroment, but natural iron drives it crazy. I've used one in several of the patches around here, that's why my choice would be the X-Terra.
Thanks for the info i just took it for granted that a PI detector would be good for nugget hunting...Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread