New Pistol Probe Owner------Questions ???

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
I received my new Pistol Probe yesterday. I went hunting for a few hours to try it out. According to the manual, "The red LED will light up when you get near a target(in all operational modes)." The red LED on mine only works when in the silent mode. Also the best I can get on a coin is about 3". That's with a slightly crackling threshold.

Is this what other users have experienced or is mine defective?

Upvote 0

Opticman

Aug 10, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
OK, I got my last week and have used it once in the field. I have a post at the end of theread about the Pistol Probe Video someone did. It details my thought so far.

I dont have my manual handy but I just fired mine up after reading your post. One of the knobs allows you to set it on one of 4 modes

Always on
Hi
Lo
LED Only ( by inference, "silent")

LED lights ONLY in the LED Mode. Mine does not lite when you are in one of the audio modes. Don't know what the manual said.

Mine air tests a solid 6 inches ONLY if you are pointing the tip at the metal object. If you come in from the side of the probe, the range is NOTICABLY reduced to maybe "3 inches". Try setting threshold to just the right spot to get maximum range and experiment in the air, pointing probe at target and come in slowly from about 10 inches towards the target and you'll get your 6 inches. Then try it again using the side of the probe remembering that only the first 3 inches or so (I forget exactly) is actually sensitive. You'll notice that range is much less coming towards target from side of probe. Good pick up on that ... I had not noticed or thought to look at.

I can't explain the difference in the detection range when comparing pointing at the target vs detecting to the side. Someone on this forum or someone from DetectorPro may be able to explain this. Be sure to find my message on the other thread with my comments about the probe. Granted, I've only used it once but I am still figuring out how I feel about it.

Of course air tests are just that, "air tests". Real life is a different story.

I will post more updates , hopefully get a chance to use it again this weekend. I hate winter and early sunsets.

Opticman

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
If any one has a pistol probe would you give some input here??

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Member blklab who I have hunted with has one and he loves it.It does get about 6".I'm sure he can give you some input,however,I know he is not available tonight.Maybe if you pm him,he will see it tomorrow.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw on the Compass forum were a member had his off on switch break when he first used it . it broke on the carrier they have with it he had a picture up on how he fixed it so it would not break again but i can not find the picture now.....................==Jim_K==

Old Relic

Oct 21, 2005
North Prairie, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 Minelab Advantage Tesoro Eldorado µMAX Tesoro Silver µMAX
The on-off pushbutton is susceptible to damage as it is proud of the top of the probe. If the PistolPROBE electronics were contained in a Pro-Pointer housing it would be perfect. I wish it didn't resemble a pistol. That's why I won't wear it on my belt, especially in a park or schoolyard; I keep it in my possibles bag, instead.

Relic

Opticman

Aug 10, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
OK , I got a chance to got out this weekend and take my second run with the Pistol Probe. These are my updated comments:

The activation button is located on top side of probe which is VERY awkward to use.. I am using it with the cover on which makes it harder to push on the button even though it has a hole thru the cover for the button. This hole is not big enough and the metal grommet doesn't allow enough clearance from the button to get through the hole easily.

I am using it to pin point and I like that VERY much. Dead on , right on the target before digging. I had posted on another thread some comments about range and the seemingly "directional" characteristics of the pointer. I know in real life it is not directional but it seems like it so I can see that characteristic being helpful.

I agree with the earlier poster that the shape of this thing is kind of crazy. Like I said, it would probably win an award for a design competition for it's modern progressive design and shape but on a practical basis it sucks.

And, as I said on my earlier post, the length of the probe is too long. 1 or 2 less inches would have been better. I am somewhat paranoid with the "pistol appearance". I was detecting in a field yesterday outside of a bank and I was wondering if the drive in teller was looking at me out in the field with a gun like object pointing out of my hand and saying "I wonder what he's doing?".

By the way, I found my third obvious "pocket dump" yesterday (6 dimes , 2 pennies). I love those.

Optic

OP
OP
dkw

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm not worried about the LED only working in the LED mode. Apparently there is a discrepancy in the manual on that.

I went out for another hunt to play with it some more. I took my measuring stick with me. I'm still only getting about 3" on an air test. I managed to dig a silver dime that was stuck to the bottom of the plug when I removed it. It measured 5.5" deep. The Pistol Probe did pinpoint this target before I cut the plug. I also dug several wheats at "estimated" depths of 3 to 6 inches. The Pistol Probe located every one before I dug. With this real world test, my worries are gone.

Opticman

Aug 10, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Next time you play around with it, see if the range is larger if you point the probe at the target ( like you're going to shoot it). In my air tests that seems to give longer range than coming in from the side of the probe. Seems almost like it's directional though it can't be I guess.

I'm not sure if it has a role in my regular detecting as I prefer shorter range, smaller size pin pointer to check the hole. Just used it twice in the field but will keep working with it.

Optic

Attachments

• Optometrist-Giclee-Print-C12551695.jpg
    Optometrist-Giclee-Print-C12551695.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 353
Nov 20, 2008
Southern New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70 and E-Trac
The cover that came with it is for storage. The reason its so difficult to operate with the cover on. The cover was made to protect the button from accidental depression while stored. I carry mine in an old tape measure pouch that I cut a slit in while detecting. Works great. And yes, very good range (about 3 inches) depending on the ground and the size of the target.

Opticman

Aug 10, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
The cover that came with mine is not for storage. It has a hole cut out for the button and a loop for your belt. It's more of a holster for the thing.

I hope to use it over the weekend again and will post more notes then.

Optic

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
thedeserttortoise said:
The cover that came with it is for storage. The reason its so difficult to operate with the cover on. The cover was made to protect the button from accidental depression while stored. I carry mine in an old tape measure pouch that I cut a slit in while detecting. Works great. And yes, very good range (about 3 inches) depending on the ground and the size of the target.
I thought it was to be 6 inches not 3 inches ?????

Opticman

Aug 10, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Jim_K said:
thedeserttortoise said:
I thought it was to be 6 inches not 3 inches ?????

Mine does an easy 6 inches in air. Not sure about the above comments on 3 inches. I used mine again today and I am getting used to it. The design is really bothering me with the button on top and the shape of the thing. It would have been much better to just design it like the Bullseye, just a square box with a shorter probe. The button is very awkward to use. The cover is hard to pop open to get to the controls. It was barely 28 degrees this morning when I was out and taking my gloves off to pop it open to tinker with the controls was a pain.

Optic

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread