Cold Weather Detecting

Opticman

Aug 10, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I am still new to detecting. Winter is arriving here in Maryland. We don't get much snow and rarely have sustained sub-freezing temps so I am hoping to be able to detect through a lot of the winter. I'm figuring multi-layer clothing, gloves and warm hat are a must. Any other tips would be appreciated. Do temps in the 40's affect function of detectors. How about the ground (not frozen) ? Changes in soil that would make things easier or harder?

Opticman

Upvote 0

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Opticman, I actually prefer detecting in the winter. Live here in north Georgia, today's high was 40. The leaves are off the trees here in the woods and makes getting around easier. I wear three of 4 light layers. Have been detecting in the snow here a was pretty comfortable. Also have more pockets to put STUFF in. Light pair of gloves and a good hat. Also find it more invigorating and less people to deal with.

jayallday14

Jul 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Minelab Excal 1000
Another benefit to cold weather detecting is that all the snakes are holed up somewhere. I live in West Texas, Dyess AFB. Sweetwater, just down the road a bit, does a rattlesnake round up every year, so there are plenty of rattlers here. So when the daytime temps are down I dont worry too much about them. Summertime is another story. I carry the Taurus Judge, 5 shots of .45 or 5 shots of .410, just in case.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in MD too, on the Eastern Shore. I have detected through 4 winters this my 5th. The only pointers I have are; batteries go quicker so keep extras around maybe in your pocket if it is real cold, wind chill will do you in plan for it, and it can and will freeze solid so live with it.

Ed D.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Temps in the 40's shouldn't have any effect on your detector...even colder.

My DFX has a setting to compensate the digital display area when it gets really cold...20's, teens...
Digital doesn't respond very quickly and fades in cold weather...very cold weather...but I haven't seen any difference down in the 30 degree range.

My 6000DI Pro isn't affect at all by subfreezing temps...all analog. :thumbsup:

Al

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Batteries do seem to go quicker............that is about the only issue I've noticed on the detector itself.............so as long as the ground is not frozen and you can detect, the most important factor is staying warm. Nothing will make it more uncomfortable and take the fun out of the hunt than being cold. My tips...........

To be warm, you need to wear alot of layers. Forget 1 sweater and a heavy coat. You're better off with three sweaters and a reasonably warm coat. In any winter hunt.........including the last one that I filmed in video #12 (It was in the low 30's.....well below that with the windchill)............I'm just wearing a very light jacket. But I have upper body thermals and four layers of sweaters under that light jacket. I also wear leg thermals with one set of sweatpants under the pants I am wearing. That is three layers for the legs. All in all.......I don't get cold.

Protect your hands............in the worst of temps, I wear heavier gloves over my MD'ing gloves. I try to do without the heavier gloves because I like to have the functionality of my fingers that I do with my lighter MD'ing gloves. Important with my machine's lack of throw or knob switches.

One thing I do in alot of outdoor activities where it could rain is bring along an extra sweater or sweatpants wrapped up in a plastic bag. If ever I were to get caught in a rain or got wet on a cold day, I have dry cloths and a rain poncho from this bag. Sometimes you can just walk back to a car or find shelter..........but if you're in the middle of nowhere, that is not always an option. Off topic, I always carry a backpack with extras.

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
bundle up.. a warm hat is key..... and gloves are a must.. i like this time of year.. as long as the ground isnt frozen.. i think the extra moisture gives u added depth

Randy

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Clean underwear is a must.
Never know when you will get hurt
or sick and go to the hospital.

have a good un..........
SHERMANVILLE

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shermanville Illinois,

Did your mother know my mother. Iv,e heard that one a thousand times growing up.

Ed D.

kool361

Nov 19, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV
I'm in Maryland also over near the Potomac. This is my first winter detecting also but have done cold weather camping layers are certainly the key. That key being if you get to warm you can always shed clothes but if your cold and your not in layers your SOL. A good warm hat is very crucial since heat rises. Ever seen football players playing in the cold on tv and their on the sidelines and the steam coming off their heads? My biggest thing now though is since it is my first winter MDing what kind of gloves are good because I really don't want to wear bulky gloves.

one eye willie

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2007
gold country california
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Opticman,
My girl friend gave me these great gloves that are mittens but the tops peel back off my fingers. Also there are gloves that have the finger tips cut off. Personally I hate the cold and only go out when the sun is out and the wind is not blowing. It is fun to go detecting no matter what so have fun.
One Eye Willie

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Instead of heavier gloves over your MDing gloves, I like to be able to still pick objects up and handle them. You CAN have just as much function and motion of your fingers and still have two layers of gloves on by using a fleece glove (very thin). They sell them in Target in the womens' glove section for $5. Just get a size that fits closely to your hand, then put your normal glove on over them. (Normal glove keeps the fleece clean.)

Regards,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread