Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What is a "Relic Machine"?

It's not that a machine is limited to one type of finds--but rather that folks will call machines by what they're good at.  I own the 1266-X (the 1270's predecessor) and wouldn't trade it for anything.  It IS a relic machine.  But its weakness is coin hunting in trashy areas (although you Can cherrypick with it, it isn't easy--and trash could drive you nuts with no ID capability except the knob). 

So it depends on what type of hunting you do, and what your preferences are.

For a good all-purpose machine, I'd suggest the Tesoro Silver uMax, Whites XLT, or perhaps a higher end Tesoro with manual GB--and all of these have strengths and weaknesses.  I'm not sure if this is your first machine or not...

Regards,

Buckleboy

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Again, Buckleboy is correct.

I have a white's DFX and it has a relic mode...along with coin, coin & jewelry, etc.

The relic mode is pretty much an all metal mode so you plan on digging a lot with it.

Why limit yourself to just one detecting field?

Al

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

deepskyal said:
Again, Buckleboy is correct.

I have a white's DFX and it has a relic mode...along with coin, coin & jewelry, etc.

The relic mode is pretty much an all metal mode so you plan on digging a lot with it.

Why limit yourself to just one detecting field?

Al

I don't think it is a limit--it's just a strength of a certain machine.

I can do just about anything with my 1266--hunt with it cranked up to the edge of instability for CW shells, coin hunt a bit, look for CW relics. I've even had it at the beach a few times. Each of these requires a different "mindset" from the detector user, and different settings of the machine. For the knob-style machine (without factory preset "modes"), this requires using the machine enough to know how to set it to get the most out of it. I've hunted with mine for 16 years straight, and I know it pretty well. :)

OP
OP
L

Lash

Nov 3, 2008
S. California

Thanks, all, for your input.

My local Tesoro dealer didn't have a Vaquero, which is the Tesoro I think would work best for me.

I bought a 1270 from my local Fisher-Minelab dealer today. (If the 12XX is good enough for Buckleboy, its good enough for me.)

It's my first machine. Hope I can figger out this contraption.

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004

Dear Lash;
If you want a REAL relic machine then I can not recommend the Minelab SD2100 highly enough, my friend. Not only does the SD2100 have incredible depth, it also can find pottery shards (no kidding) old campfires and even glass! The reason why I know the SD2100 can locate all of these items is because I have located them whilst using mine, and more than just once. I have an SD2100v2 and it's simply AWESOME!

The only two real downsides to the SD2100 is the price and the fact there it has no discrimination, which coupled with it's extreme depth means you will be digging a LOT of junk if you are detecting in a trashy area.

I also have a Minelab GP-3000 and it's actually a better relic detector than the SD-2100 BUT it's a more expensive machine and more complicated to use. For a beginning relic hunter the SD2100 is a great unit, as it has only a few, very easy to understand controls, and the settings can be learned by anyone in an afternoon or two.

For examples of various depths, I've located old steel beer cans at 16" with my SD2100 and a Coiltek 18" mono coil, bottle caps at a good foot and bits of wire at 14" or more. The best depth that I've achieved thus far has been an old rusted piece of flat iron at 20 inches. The SD2100 is also a superb gold finding machine! I've located tiny gold nuggets of less than 0.2 grams at over 12" depth and larger species at 15 to 16" depth!
Your friend;
LAMAR

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lamar,

He has already made his selection--as you can see in his reply.

Lash,

If you need any help/tips/pointers on the machine, please feel free to send me a PM. "Location" is the most important thing. It is more important than which machine you use, etc.

Hopefully you have spent some time researching sites. You will get a feel for how "off the map" the site needs to be in order to have stayed un-hunted all these years. Most of the time, the obvious ones are already hunted out. And research will show you the way.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lash, welcome aboard and congratulations on your choice of detectors. Although I have never used the 1270 I have heard lots of great comments about it. Keep us posted on your finds and have a great time.

Detect9

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2006

A Fisher 1265x , or 1266x are the best relic detectors I have used. Depth is great with both. You could use an old BFO unit for relics , but dont expect any depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions