Whites XLT cant find gold?

Yellow Hammer

Nov 17, 2008
Anaheim Ca and Quartzsite Az
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200v2/GP4500
Whites XLT can't find gold?

Just got my wife a used whites XLT and I can't seem to get it set up no matter what I do. It will not pick up on my small nugget that I use to set my Minelab up with, but it can find a coin. Can any body help me out with this POS. I still think I got a deal on it for 400.00 with lots of goodies. If I can't get it to work it's going to be sold or traded.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Whites XLT can't find gold?

Most detectors would have trouble with responding to a small nugget or even a gold chain. If it responds to a coin or gold ring in Disc with disc set very low (Iron), it works fine. Another reason why many of us never buy used. Someone was getting rid of it for a reason and didn't want it as a back up. I'm sorry........

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have a DFX and it can be iffy on small gold...especially if you're using factory presets. I can pick up a gold ring...but not an earring... ??? ...with presets.
You have to drop your disc way down to almost all metal to get a target sound....and then it's kinda iffy.

Al

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

how small is the nugget your testing it with? If it's like a grain-of-rice sized nugget or staple thin strand or something, then you'd need to go into the prospecting mode of the XLT. But you certainly wouldn't want to hunt coins in that mode, lest you be driven crazy by every straight pin, paper clip, birdshot, etc....

If the nugget is larger, and you're using your XLT's coin/relic settings (or jewelry/beach, etc...) then what are your disc. settings? You need to have all the #'s down to negative 20 or so (which will still knock out iron), up to positive 94 or 95.

There are a lot of great coin machines that simply can't pick up pin-head sized nuggets, fine tinsel thin gold chains, etc.... They simply weren't designed & engineered to do that in the first place. It doesn't make them a "POS"! A coin/relic machine will kick the pants off your Minelab nugget machine if they were pitted against each other in a variety of coin/relic sites. You are comparing apples and oranges.

At least the XLT has a "prospecting mode", where at least you can switch over to it, if your goal was to pick up birdshot/grain-of-rice sized objects. But since it is a crossover machine (supposedly being able to switch back & forth between goals), it will not excell in the prospecting dept. Ie.: there are going to be better nugget machines, than a cross-over machine can provide.

OP
OP
Yellow Hammer

Yellow Hammer

Nov 17, 2008
Anaheim Ca and Quartzsite Az
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200v2/GP4500

Thanks guys but I could not get it to work and the screen was starting to get lines in it. The guy I got it from felt bad so he gave me my money back. She will be getting a new minelab from Robs in Az.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions