Newbie with Eagle Spectrum needs HELP!!!

nofoolin

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2008
NOT OF THIS WORLD
Detector(s) used
White's Beagle Spectrometer
Hello, I am new to this forum and website, as well as brand new to MDing. I have bought a used White's Eagle Spectrum that appears to be working just fine, but i just seem to find garbage and can't seem to locate anything good. From what i've read and heard this is a good machine, and i have the standard Rainbow coil it originally came with as well as a Blue Max 800 which i have not used yet. I live close to the beach and thats where i have tried, seems i should be able to find something there. Need some tips on adjusting the best tone to search at so that i can differentiate between different metals without constantly looking at the screen. It seems to me that all hits makes the same noise, is that normal. I am using the beach and jewelry program.
The rechargable battery pack is shot and the other one i put in rechargable c cells but it seems not to be working well either as the batteries read 5.3 volts when i check them with a voltmeter and when i put them in the machine it reads 4.7 volts and after 30 minutes was giving me a low battery warning. Any tips on what kind of alkaline or nicad batteries are best or should i just splurge on a new rechargable pack? Has anyone ever used the new c cell NiMH rechargables, are they any better??? ???

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'll let someone else answer the battery question. But as to the rest, you say you're: "brand new to MDing". As such, stick to the factory presets. Too often new hobbyists get dazzled by all the user adjustable options, and simply *must* fiddle with them "lest they be missing out". Then they get it all hot and maxed out, and wonder why it blares off everywhere.

If you don't like referring to the screen to see where a TID has fallen, then you can just go to tone ID mode, which should be fairly simple to find in the menus. Whether by tone or screen, the info will be basically the same though. Ie.: neither method is going to tell you "trash verses goodies". They are simply telling you the conductivity, not the composition. Unfortunately, a lot of trash shares the same conductivities as goodies. Gold vs aluminum for instance, when relative sizes are compared will be similar in TID's. Or a brass car key and a copper penny can read the same, etc.... If you're getting too much junk, raise your disc level, but of course, a nickel or gold item could read that low. But silver & copper will still come in :) Or simply pick a less junky spot to hunt, or feret out sizes and roundness, etc..., dig only deeper (potentially older) objects, or whatever.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet and if you send me your email addy I will send you a pdf file on the eagle spectrum. It is a great machine but hard on batteries..no matter what kind you use.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I don't where your detecting at, but, I'd go someplace other than the beach, probably been hunted pretty good.
try a couple of playgrounds and most importantly DIG everything until you get used to the sounds of what's under your coil

good luck Sniffer

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I realize this is a very complicated detector, many adjustments, some of which may interact. I can hardly imagine trying to figure it out without a manual, but can tell from your comments & questions you are good at figuring things out & agree you're probably having malfunctions from low batteries.

It is a very good detector, I've read some reports claiming White's deepest. It should find plenty in any area where it was lost, if it wasn't just gone over by an expert.

I have not used the C size NiMH batteries, but use the D size in one of my fancy radios. The ones I got are green with no brand, bought directly from Hong Kong. I've been using them about 3 years, so I have faith that the Chinese make very good NiMH batteries. At that time, I paid about $20 for a slow charger.

If you go to eBay, type in C NiMH under their batteries section. Besides feedback, the best way to tell you are getting good batteries is to buy the highest rating mah that are listed. They keep finding ways to increase capacity, so the ones with higher mah ratings were likely made recently. The higher the milliamp hour rating, the longer you can go between charges. So, yes, rechargeable batteries have gotten better and can allow many hours of detecting.

When NiMH batteries are getting weak, they go from good to no good really fast, regardless of mah rating or how new they are. So, unless you want to buy 2 sets of NiMH batteries, you might want to carry some alkalines. NiMH batteries will save you money if you detect frequently.

Also, if you click on the White's logo on TNet, there is a forum specifically for White's (and info to contact White's). HH, George (MN)

OP
OP
nofoolin

nofoolin

Tenderfoot
Dec 2, 2008
NOT OF THIS WORLD
Detector(s) used
White's Beagle Spectrometer
Thanks for all the great help!!! I went out again with new alkaline batts and found it to be working a lot better, seems the batts were the problem. Still it really eat up the batts no matter what kind.
Still trying to decide if i should buy a new 4.8v rechargable or go with nicad c cells or the newer NiMH c cells.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread