Cleaning Clad

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a cheap tumbler I bought at the flea market for 5 bucks..I did use it but didn't hold many coins at one time.. I got the idea to stuff the coins in a sock and put it in the washing machine..Darn thing worked pretty good...Oh, I did it while my wife was at Wal Mart.. :thumbsup:

deathhare

Dec 29, 2008
Nashville, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water only.
I could care less if theyre tarnished. I spend em anyway and have never had any issues with it. Money is money.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For 5c,10c,25c, and the occaisonal half I use the cheapest vinegar available with a liberal dose of salt. It will go from being black to gray in about 30 minutes. I did $40 in dug quarters this weekend. I used up about 1 quart of vinegar, and about 1/4 a round box of salt in 3 different batches to clean up 160+ quarters. I put the coins in a quart jar, and turned it every few minutes to make sure the coins got even exposure. Don't mix copper or zinc pennies in with your silver, it will turn everything pink, OMG! The coins come out a dull gray that is spendable, but a little polishing would make them blend right in without arousing any curiosity.

S

seger98

I tumble my nickels, dimes & quarters in my rock tumbler, with a little sand & some dawn dish soap. they come out pretty decent & then I take to the bank, cash them in & buy silver coins with it. The pennies I do seperate, they turn the other clad copper color

Oh, I do put about 25% of the money into my granddaughters savings account!

Chris

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Get about 3-4 lbs of coin done at a time in my old Thumblers Tumbler. Takes 45 mins a load if they're really nasty. Don't care what color they come out, they're going into a coinstar or the kids piggy banks.

Idaho hunter

Jan 2, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350- Ace250- 10X WORKHORSE - GARRETT PRO POINTER - Mighty AP digger
I use a Lyman rifle shell cleaner with crushed gravel and vinegar and a little salt, run
for about 1 to 2 hours, rinse with clear water and they turn out good.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Here is the recipe that I use:
Hand full of coins
sand and gravel.
A few drops of liquid dish soap.
A splash of ammonia

I usally tumble this load for about 1/2 hour they usually come out pretty good. When I take them out, I let them dry on a towel.

Hope it helps.

Ron.

vanoldschool

Dec 1, 2005
Port Orchard, Wa
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VINAGAR AND BAKING SODA, OR COKE, OVEN CLEANER AND NOW I USED WIFES JEWLERY CLEANER, WORKED REAL GOOD ON A 48 WHEATIE IF FOUND TODAY...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread