Pinpointer Question

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
I'm new to MD'ing. I've read several of the pinpointer topics here and still have a question about what depth a pinpointer should give. I have an Automax Precision V4; admittedly not the best. It will not give a reading on a coin unless I'm with 1/2 to 3/4" with the probe tip. Is this normal?

Upvote 0

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
That depends on how good you are at locating the target under your coil. If you get accurate information from your detector and interpret it correctly you may seldom need the pinpointer and use it only momentarily when you need to do so.

Tape several different varieties of targets on one side of a large or several large pieces of cardboard, turn it over and try to locate exactly where those targets are under your coil. Make sure you try this starting from several inches above the targets. This will tune your pinpointing skills. Then hit the exact spot on the cardboard that you think has the target on the other side.

OP
OP
J

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
Thanks Lowbatts--
I tried the pinpointer in soil and I believe it works much better outdoors in 'real' conditions. Also, I'm gaining more experience with determining depth with my Whites Classic; the hits I was getting were deeper than I suspected.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Never used a White's machine but have seen them used to great effect many times.

Good Luck!

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow haven't got my Automax in the mail yet. Probably going to send it back. Any suggestions on a good mid-range pinpointer to compliment a Garret 250?

Opticman

Aug 10, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I am just about 8 months into detecting and let me tell you what I have learned.

As mentioned earlier, the better you get with your detector, the less you need a separate pin pointer. In the beginning, I would dig up a huge plug and half the time the find would still be in the hole. With a few months practice, plus reading my instructions and practicing, I can usually dig a small plug and the fine will be in the plug. So at that point, if I know the find is in the small plug, I may not need a separate pin pointer. It can help to verify the find is in the plug but you can also wave the plug in front of your coil and do that.

I have a whites Bullseye, the knock off version of this from Harbor Freight, and the new Pistol Probe. The Pistol probe will give you a max of maybe 5 or 6 inches. If you're waving it over some loose dirt you just scooped out of the hole, it may sound off because there's a target still in the ground 5 inches under the loose dirt you just waved it over, so that's not very helpful. But if you use a pin pointer with only a inch or so of range then you could verify a target in the loose soil you just dumped on the ground.

So range on a pin pointer depends on how you are going to use it. We dug some 6 or 8 inch holes and the pistol probe says there's still something in the hole, it could mean you've got another 6 inches to dig or perhaps you missed the target completely and it's 6 inches west of where you just dug. So greater range doesn't necessarily help you.

On coin size objects and good technique, you should just be able to dig a plug and the target will be in the plug. Small plugs are easy to break apart and find your treasure. I take the Bullseye and Pistol probe with me but I usually just end up using the Bullseye. Brown coins look like dirt so it can make it easier to find the rascal.

Optic

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
Hey go to menards or a supplier like them and check out the stud finder they are being used
with great rusults and we are only talking in the 15.00 range

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my thought on this one..stay away from the Whites Bullseye...I have one and had to fix the switch first..now the barrel is loose and gives false signals. Not worth the money.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
camperlee said:
Hey go to menards or a supplier like them and check out the stud finder they are being used
with great rusults and we are only talking in the 15.00 range
Know which one you're getting, too many stud finders work on capacitive reactance these days. No good for pinpointing. I use the Mr. Wizard II, for about 20 bucks it's a great deal. Finds a quarter about 1.5 inches, a dime at about an inch.

If you're good enough with your detector, this should be good enough to help you pinpoint.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low..do you by chance have a pic of that one. I was searching but couldn't find it.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
SC_hunter said:
Low..do you by chance have a pic of that one. I was searching but couldn't find it.
Here's the Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/Wizard-Detectors-24902-Little-Detector/dp/B00005NMUO

My bad, it's actually Little Wizard II, I'm caught up in Tutor the Turtle cartoon land again.

To turn it on, you simply rotate the dial on the side. Turn it just to the point where the lights go out and it stops beeping. Then it's ready to locate that goodie!

Attachments

• Little Wizrd.jpg
    Little Wizrd.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 239

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
I just bought a pinpointer at Harbor Frieght for $15.00 nothing fancy, but it comes with a nylon belt case. It can be used with the case on. ITEM 97245-1VGA

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
I've used the Automax for about 5 years now. I like it just fine, except I have yet to find a good way to carry it. As far as I'm concerned, it's gonna cost more then $100 to replace it. That's with a vibraprobe or Sunray.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions