Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been out prospecting for some new sites to hit while I'm waiting for some really good sites to become available this fall. Anyone ever hit the grass strips between lanes on old streets or avenues? I've been eyeballing one in the old swanky part of town. One of the very first divided avenues in the City and very narrow for a divided street. I would imagine that in the early days there was considerable foot traffic down the middle? Whadya' think? JIM

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
there post 667........WHEW! almost got jinxed!!! ive been eyeballing some of those grassy strips too but have not tried yet! if you go let me know how you do.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'v Never Tried any Yet.

The ONLY one I ever Asked About,

Was the ONLY Site i'v EVER received a VERY RUDE turndown.

They Did Calm down enough to Tell Me it was Fill, NOT THAT THAT WOULD HAVE MATTERED.

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
I don't enjoy being turned down, but people shouldn't be rude about it. Did you by chance ask them at 5am? haha -- been trying to figure out a way to get into some of those oldl yards. I was thinking about just sticking a business card in the mailbox offering an hours labor for a chacnce to metal detect. I think maybe some of those senior citizens could use a basically free hour of hard labor.

I then think back to when I was a kid in MN. Tried the shovel your sidewalk thing. I remember some lady ( a bit older than Greenspan) giving me 2 pieces of hard candy for about 2 hours of work. The snow was only about 2 feet deep.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in a Historical Society.

The Woman Who Works There is On the Town Council.

I said "I shure Would Like to Search That Strip Of Grass Out There in The Middle of The Road" WITH A SMILE I MIGHT ADD, & she Flew off the Handle, Saying She's on The Town Council & she Can Assure Me I wont? Be allowed to Do it & went on.

? I Kept my Cool, & asked About a Covered Bridge in the Township & Asked IF she Knew Who The Owner was, SHE FLEW off Again, Saying What Would You wanna Search There For, The People Around here Won't Let You do that Anyway. BLAP< BLAP, BLAP.

? Still In a Friendly Voice I said "Well, Alot Of People Realy Don't Mind Because I don't Destroy Anything & Most Of the Historical Societies Around EVEN give Me Hints on Where to Search, & I usually Donate Finds of Historical Value To the Areas To them"

Her MOUTH DROPPED OPEN LIKE "HUH" ?
So I turnd & walked out.

By the way, I have Searched The Town & Township, With Permission of Many People Over there After,
& non have Been Rude at all.

EVERYONE I met over there Are VERY FRIENDLY. Except HER

I never Did reTry to search that Strip of Grass Tho.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The parts of the divided streets I am talking about is street right of way and not owned by any individual. Unless specifically prohibited by law it is open to public access! JIM

DiggerDude101

Apr 19, 2005
Jim

The area between the back of curbs and sidewalks are good too.
They are in the City R.O.W. (Right of Way) Public property.
However, I dont usually hunt in areas that are keep up real nice. The adjacent property owners get mad.
I look for house that are for sale and empty and hunt the walk in front of them.

I'm also a City employee and deal with R.O.W. issues, so I kinda know how to talk to people.

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Heck, just put on an orange vest and go out there like you own the place. You might even put out traffic cones along the curb. No law against placing a traffic cone on the curb, and no law against wearing a orange vest. Hunt during the normal business hours. Even the cops will think that you work for the city! If anyone asks "What are you doing?" simply reply with the truth "I am trying to find a metal thing that was buried here a long time ago."

Will

By the way, how's the beach hunt going Jim?

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked for a City for 30+ years, first in LE and then in Code Enforcement so I know what's legal and what ain't! Haven't been beach hunting much except to find the mysterious skull, which turned out to be a blond wig. I don't feel safe going alone and so far haven't found a partner! JIM

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
LOL that reminds me of a funny story that happened a while back... About fifteen years ago I was out with some friends 'coon hunting. My buddy goes wondering off by himself and after a few minutes comes running back to where we were. He is white as a ghost and just terrified. He starts babbling on about a dead woman and really not making much sense. When we finally get him calmed down enough to understand him he says that he found a dead woman and wants to leave. We were hunting in a swamp near Chickamauga, Georgia and it was the middle of winter. Very cold and he is dragging us through knee deep water to the body. We get there and find that it is a mannequin that had washed in in the last flood. We were now soaked and a little more than aggravated. Later that year,for Christmas, me and a friend went back and got the dead woman's head and put it in a box for his gift. He really didn't find it as humorous as the rest of guys did!

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
By the way, that was the same swamp that is less than three miles from the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Battlefield Park. And is the same swamp that presented a 72 pound cannon ball to my father, and later on one for me. Also many many Minnie balls and best I remember a bayonet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread