At what point does one decide to replace an XLT battery pack?

hoosierfinds

Dec 14, 2005
Richmond Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I bought my XLT through Kellyco in July of 2003. I have only used the rechargeable battery pack, not the pack that uses AA batteries. Didn't get out much this last Summer and when I did start getting out a little during the late Fall I found the battery pack wasn't as strong. It only charges up to about 9.3 Volts and gives out after two hours or less. I had thought of buying a new one, but continuing to make use of the old one as primary until it gives out completely. A second choice would be to use the AA pack as a backup on each MD trip until the old one gives out completely.

Also, maybe it's just me but the reliability of the detected items and the depth and pinpointing seems less accurate with the battery even when "fully" charged at 9.3 volts.

Has this old one had a good life or should I have expected more?

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have gotten 5 years from it. I say it is about time you bough a new one. My was only 3 years old when it quit working for me.,,,Matt

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is time to bite the bullet and replace the rechargable battery pack. I personally don't like to use them and prefer the AA batteries. I like to use Costco's Kirkland batteries as they are cheaper than what you get at the drug stores, etc. I may be backwards as I use the rechargables as a back up.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My battery pack only lasted 2 years but I was using it about 10-15 hours a week. I am an Electronics Technician and was able to replace the batteries or rebuild the battery pack for the cost of 8 rechargeable batteries. I would replace it ASAP and save the frustration of low batts. HH, Mike

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know about your XLT but this is hard to believe .I bought a Sovereign in 1992 it had a NiCad rechargeable battery with it. I bought this Sovereign XS about 5 weeks ago and found this battery from 1992.Well i put a charge on it just for fun and it took the charge and runs my Sovereign XS and i used that battery pack a lot back then.And the only detectors that battery will fit is the First Sovereign and the Sovereign XS. Yes it is hard to believe but here is a picture of that superman battery.

Attachments

• 100_1562.jpg
    100_1562.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 178

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
I think your battery pack has about had it. it needs charging when it gets down to 8.0 volts and will charge to 12.0 volts when good
personally I like the replaceible batteries I get them at the dollar store and they seem to give me excellent service. Lee

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I have to agree with the others and say it is time to purchase a new pack.

My pack died, but I have a technical backround and had no problem removing the old batteries and replacing them with new rechargeable ones.

Afte you check on the price of an new rechargeable pack, you may decide to go with the AA replaceable batteries. The new rechargeable packs are a bit pricy.

Good luck in your decision.

Ray S

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my xlt battier pack for 3 years and only used it maybe 4 times.
Like other have said. It's "pricey"to replace.
I go to the dollar store and buy batteries there. I also bought rechargeable Alkaline 1.5 volt PURE ENERGY Rechargeables
they work 10 times better then the NiCad battery pack.
use the money and buy dollar store batteries. 8 pack for $1.00 gets you 10 - 20 in clad back

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread