Any one heard anything on a new high end whites detector to be released.

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have we heard any results on this machine yet?

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a Field Report on the White's site, but it's too long to post... so here's the link:
http://whiteselectronics.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4723&Itemid=86

I think a few people here on T-Net has also chimed in with their synopsis of the performance of the machine as well.
Outside of the fact that it's lacking a digital display like the other White's machines, I heard it's the top performer for all landscapes and conditions.

Bran <><

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
The TDI is the White's version of a Ron from Surfscanner's custom PI machine.
Look like a killer on depth, but again it's PI so you'd want to understand the learning curve involved.

OP
OP
Jason in TN

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
No I knew about the TDI but was wondering about a new VLF detector from whites. With Minelab coming out with the E Track you would think that White's will be releasing a top end VLF soon.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is interesting, I wonder if Garrett will step up to the plate next?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
No matter who makes the next hottie machine it will require lots of learning to master because VLF has reached its maximum potential. Now the big power VLF machines are all struggling for that last inch of possible depth.

PI still has way too many issues to make for a good backyard coin hunter.

We need something really new--but what?

MB

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
I checked a TDI at White's main plant more than 2 months ago.

The balance is real good and the air depth was 13" on a nickel. The balance made it seem lighter than it actually was. It does have a rather unusual discrimination method though, but I didn't really get into that portion of it, mostly because it is a beach and nugget hunter and not necessarily made for inland coin hunting. A teardrop sized nugget read about 8" in the showroom but i didn't try it outdoors. It had substantially more air depth than the new dual coil Surf PI OR (8-9" air depth) the Beach Hunter ID at 11" air depth. In fact the two latter ones made me feel like I had a cheap Minelab in my hand, you know, the bottom of the barrel Minelab Eureka Gold piece of garbage, the one that really sucks. You know, the one that only gets 8-9" in an air test on a dime and less than half that on a 3 gr nugget.

I put those other two White's down and recomposed myself like the true refined and sophisticated gentleman that I care to be.

The TDI was a whole different animal, a truly elegant and refined piece of depth-monster equipment - instead of the baseball bat that the other two White's and 4 pound plus brute Minelabs that have been produced the last few years. I gave it a 5 out of a 5 just because of it's raw depth, but there are better detectors to just hunt coins with, that's for sure.

Badger in Eastern Europe and Germany they are working on both magnet Spectometers and Ground Penetrating Radar devices that can now find targets as small as a can of Coke. In a short while they will have both devices finding coins, etc. We just don't know when.

LL

OP
OP
Jason in TN

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Michigan Badger said:
No matter who makes the next hottie machine it will require lots of learning to master because VLF has reached its maximum potential. Now the big power VLF machines are all struggling for that last inch of possible depth.

PI still has way too many issues to make for a good backyard coin hunter.

We need something really new--but what?

MB

Hey badger the new E Trac is a great vlf and out does better than any other out in my opinion. Have heard wispers of a hot new VLF from white's and can not imagine that it will be long comming as the E Trac is a hot seller. I do not think the VLF has reached its max as some of the guys working for whites have said 2ft on a coin with a VFL is no problem but the detector would work well in some places and not at all in others. Just going to take some time to work out.

Hope there is a great new whites detector on the way guess we will have to wait and see just wondering if any one had heard any thing on a new high end VLF from Whites.

There was a mention of it on a interview of some of whites tecs called project V.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Gotta wonder what value coin depth is regards detection ability. Would you dig a 2 foot deep coin? The oldest coins I've dug are on those "native dirt" sites. Places where things happened 150 or more years ago and where the dirt has been relatively undisturbed. Given the geology here in Northern Illinois, coins in such dirt are unlikely to "sink" more than a couple inches.

If you're digging a foot or more for a coin, you are usually digging in dirt with some manner of disrturbance or fill. Just as likely to get a wheatie as LC.

On the other hand, phase shift through mineralized soil and through loss of signal might be greatly approved in the top end VLF's as technology improves. Given better target indication at depth would greatly improve performance, me thinks.

No experience with the big PI machines but I'd like to add one to the gear and give it a whirl one day. More likely a few months though, it'd require a shift in hunting ability also.

Lucky Larry,
Would that TDI have a big learning curve, in you're opinion.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Lowbatts, yes & no: in some sites, additional depth is not the answer. In some sites, as you say, coins aren't necessarily more than a few inches. The issue there may be iron and junk masking.

But I can think of turf sites (at least in my state), where more depth would indeed open up more oldies. Some parks are perfectly stratified: 40/50s losses at 6", 20/30s losses at 7 " 00s to 10s at 8 to 9", etc... And even though we know for a fact that these parks were HOPPING in the 1880s (based on old photos, the park history, etc...) yet barbers and worn seateds are the most anyone can manage. It "stands to reason" there is another deeper layer just out of reach of current depth technology.

So for some hunt types, I would not knock additional depth :)

OP
OP
Jason in TN

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
There are guys that dig huge holes at hut sites for a couple civil war bullets and buttons. There are guys who dig 8 to 12 feet in old privis for bottles.
Would i dig two foot for a coin or a civil war bullet. You bet I would.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
The deepest coins I've ever dug were done with an old Garrett Deepseeker. They were in soil that was a real disgusting mixture of 10,000 year old glacial compounds. On top of that they had a salty brine in the soil and were found on the beaches at Tahuya State Park in Tahuya, Washington (State). Most were found from 10-13", in all-metal. The old Fishers though could get another inch over the old Garretts. The coins were mostly really rusted and corroded, sometimes partly broken up copper wheatbacks, but some were steel.

I have never seen another detector to date that could outdo the old Fishers and Garretts for all-out all-metal depth in really bad soil, but the 80's Compasses came close and so have some of the CZ Fishers. A person would be wasting their time in bringing along ANY Minelab vlf (this includes their multi-freq machines) or any OTHER brand detector too- to try to find anything any deeper than that in that very same soil. And yes, even though digging in that mess wasn't fun I would gladly do it again, even if the coins were as deep 2 feet.

Opinions about the TDI? Hmmm?

It's just a well-engineered (by Erik Foster himself) PI being sold with White's name on it with an operating method a little dissimilar in setting up and using, that's all. It is easier to use than a Garrett Infinium and a lot more practical than any other PI I've ever seen. Some people do like their various Minelab PI's but to me the TDI is a better deal and a whole lot cheaper too.

No, I wouldn't say it is difficult to learn, and it at least does have some reasonably effective discrimination plus a ground balance control to boot. It's a lot easier to use than a DFX or SE or Explorer II.

BTW, I see that on Metaldetectorreviews.net the last 3 out of 4 people have been fairly disenchanted and disgruntled with the new ML E-Trac.

Note: PI's ALWAYS go deeper in the ground than they do in the air.

LL

OP
OP
Jason in TN

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
I read today where whites had TWO new detectors to be released in the coming months but still no details. Some one out there has to have a idea on what is coming. My bet one is a top end VLF something in the price range of the E Trac. I do have the E Trac and love it. Still waiting to see what whites will bring to the table though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread