Beach / Gold metal detector

lala09

Greenie
Feb 28, 2007
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
White XLT / Surfmaster PI / Vision V3
Me & the wife have bought two white xlt about two yr. ago and found out that they where perfect for coin shooting but didn't do so hot on the NC beaches (a lot of false signals and the wet sand was a nightmare) but what I need to know is what metal detector will work for beach hunting and also work for nugget hunting (highly mineralization soil) and not break the bank will more then likely look for used metal detector this time.

Thank you for any help
and good hunting

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lala09

lala09

Greenie
Feb 28, 2007
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
White XLT / Surfmaster PI / Vision V3
That was the first one I looked at but there's been a lot of them that's come up for resell cents they came out make me wonder why.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
The Garrett Infinium LS will work very well. It will ignore the black sand however it is a PI so be prepared to dig and dig a lot till you learn it :thumbsup:

Willy

Look at the MXT for top notch prospecting in bad ground and decent coin/beach performance. it also has a ton o' coils available. The White's DFX would do better on the beach (and possibly better on coins) and 'could' work as a prospecting unit.. though the MXT would be the better choice for nuggethunting. ..Willy.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did test the X-Terra 70 a little briefly yesterday and it does well, both for gold and jewellery and coins.
Excellent machine, my pal bought one.

The second choice would be the MXT which is a well proven all-round machine for coins & Relic & gold..

Regards,
Eu

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
A PI would be best for both. They can see throught the wet salt sand and were originally designed to be used as nugget hunters. Please call me and i am sure that I can help you find the right detector for you.
Tony
www.tcmetaldetectors.com
860-623
860-844-1218 or
cell 860-916-2506

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Excalibur, DFX may look at swapping in your XLT on the DFX since you are already use to the whites detector. The DFX works great on the beach. Any of the minelab Explorers are good on the beach also. Would not go with a PI for the beach unless you do not mind digging a S#1T load of bottle caps. Most of the NC beaches are loaded with them. If you like the XLT the DFX may be your best bet.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jason in TN said:
Excalibur, DFX may look at swapping in your XLT on the DFX since you are already use to the whites detector. The DFX works great on the beach. Any of the minelab Explorers are good on the beach also. Would not go with a PI for the beach unless you do not mind digging a S#1T load of bottle caps. Most of the NC beaches are loaded with them. If you like the XLT the DFX may be your best bet.

Neither of them is rather good at (natural) gold. :-\

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Eu-citizen is right: There is no machine that's going to be a decent cross-over from beach to nuggets. I suppose there are some pulse nugget machines that *could* be used for coin/jewelry at the beach. But that assumes you don't mind hearing/digging every single staple, birdshot, straight-pin, etc...

You see, the goals of each venture (coin/relic/jewelry vs nuggets) is opposed to each other. The size nuggets that nugget hunting machines are after, are teeennssy objects (pinhead sized). So the engineering of the machines and coils, from the ground up, are made to excell in those size targets. But they may not get coins and jewely that deep. Oh sure, you won't miss a teensy chain or earing stud, but you'll find yourself being outhunted on the beach by regular coin/jewelry machines that were made for the beach. Like the Excaliber, or any of various coin machines simply w/the box wrapped in plastic to keep from getting sloshed. If you've ever used a dedicated nuggett machine, and know the extreme sensitivity, you'll know what I mean.

There are some cross-over machines that can, with control adjustments, do each venue. Like the MXT. But they will excell in neither area. There will be better nugget machines, and there will be better beach machines.

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
I tried the XT70 for prospecting, and I gave up, as it drove me nuts on the hot rocks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread