Greenie
May 27, 2004
Kamloops, BC
Detector(s) used
Lonestar
CCASSELL said:
Is the Bounty Hunters any good?
Clay

I'm not sure how they compare to anything else.. but I'm new to metal detecting and I bought a Bounty Hunter LoneStar. Made in USA, so its not complete crap.
I've found plenty of junk, but nothing too exciting yet. The features are great, discrimination... auto notch and whatnot.
Its not that great at identifying items. Alot of the time, it'll mix everything up (a penny is Junk, a dime is Zinc, a quarter is Iron) it never knows... but then again I live in Canada, and maybe our currency is different? So I tend to dig almost everything.
It seems to identify junk pretty well though.
I wish now I would have bought a model with a depth read-out. It is annoying not to know how deep to dig.

Overall, I'm still very satisfied with it. I'm just learning, and its exciting to hear that beep, and dig something in the ground naked to the human eye on the surface.

L

LEVERK5102

? You will probably get a lot of different responses on that question as everyone has there own preferences. I think is you go for one of the Tesoro models you will get good bang for your buck. The Compadre is $189 suggested retail. So probably drop another $20? dollars or so. Just a very easy turn on and go model.
? ?As far as the Bounty Hunters go you will get mixed reviews. Some people hate them and other really like them. I won a Bounty hunter on another forum. I tested it out a bit but was not thrilled at all with it. I would personally choose any of the major brand detectors over a Bounty Hunter anyday. Tesoro, Whites, Fisher, Garrett and a few others. Sorry if I'm offending anyone.

? ? ? ? ? ?Kerry

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
White's Classic I Metal Detector

Garrett's Predator 1 Metal Detector

Fisher 1212-X Metal Detector

all around $200. Lean towards White's if in the North and Garrett's if in the south. But any of these will do the job. All very good companies.

just checked prices on big Green's site!

B

badmonkey340

i just got into THing recently and started with a used bounty hunter, made for radio shack, pioneer 202
i think it was, for about 50 bucks not including shipping. found alot of coins in my best friends yard.
it took some time to get used to the machine. i then moved to a used whites classic id. and this also took awhile to get the hang of. gave the bounty hunter to my best friend to use. payed 250 for the whites. my best friend constantly gets more coins with th BH than i do with my whites, i believe its
because he spends alot more time using his than i have time to. best advise i can give you is go to the used detector forums and look at as many as you can. don't be afraid to ask about any machine you
dint understand. i have gotten alot of good advise from alot of people. there are alot of junk machines on the market that have names very close to good machines. have seen alot of them on ebay.
remember this, this is a hobby that we are doing for the fun of it. so no matter what brand you get and what it costs, have fun !!!!!!
good luck and happy hunting!!!
badmonkey340

R

RRey199

I use a bounty hunter pioneer as well. I wasn't sure at first, but after plenty of practice I can tell what I'm digging 90% of the time. The secret id=s always to learn the machine. Put in the time. My only complaint with the BH is the depth. It doesn't touch the big boys for depth, but I'm putting off trading up because of the necessary learning curve. :)

F

flash

I was in the same position ,couldn't afford the machines with all the bells and whistles.So I thought.I bought a Bounty hunter 202 after allot of research.$210.00 out the door at wall-mart.

I am very happy with it.It has very good target ID,depth readout and discrimination.It has all the bells and whistles and Its very easy to use .I have used a Garret 1500 before and is what I wanted to buy but could not afford.I am amazed at how well the Bounty Hunter 202 works.It will pick up coins up to "10 deep and has a 5 year warranty.You will not find any other detector with all these functions for that price,unless you buy a used machine.

Here is what I have found this year so far with the 202:

Total in clad is $39.71

1 nice gold ring wt 3 stones
1 nice silver ring wt 7 stones
1 big silver broach
1 silver cross

10 cheap rings
5 cheap charms
1 cheap necklace

2 -1943 nickles
3- pre 1955 nickles
3-mercs 1940,1944 and 1924
14 wheat pennies oldest 1914
2-Roosevelt dimes 1952 and 1963-d
2- Indian head pennies 1892 and 1902

M

mediccoin

I just bought a Bounty Hunter Lonestar for $136 from Procura.com.

F

FurBalls

I just purchased a Bounty Hunter IV from Kellyco and I am very pleased with the performance, I have only used it a couple times but I read the instruction manual like 3 times BEFORE I even got it (DL off the internet) So I was ready to go when it arrived. My main reason for getting the IV is it's one of the few ones with actual "analog" knobs and toggle switches, much easier in my opinion than pushing little plastic buttons and looking at a screen. I also liked the fact that I can buy a 10" or 4" coil for it down the road if I want. Good luck!

C

Cladbag

Try a used machine.. You will get the performance of a bigger buck.
Ebay. etc.

Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread