Finding Platinum and Gold

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Any of you guys take a risk on the books from the lady on ebay teaching how to get platinum from catalytic converters and cheap gold from thrift stores? This info has been around for awhile by different authors. I think the wealthy ones are the authors. But has anyone experimented with this with any success?

Darren

Upvote 0

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't waste your hard earned $ and don't get wrapped up with this kook. This lady was on this forum and eventually drove everybody crazy to the point where she was blackballed from the site. She is a know it all who will always want to get the last word in and she has at least 4 or 5 different identities. What do you think that tells you?
If you want an excellent reference on what to do or how to do it there is a guy on ebay who sells a CD. He has a step by step method on how to strip gold off of items and refine it into a nice gold button. If you find his cd on there you will know it by the fact that he actually posts the 50 or so pictures directly in his add. If I can find his cd at home I will post the info for you. His method actually shows you step by step pictures and sounds real solid.
One word of caution with any of these methods: They all create some nasty acids and chemical mixes plus some really dangerous gasses that will kill anything around as well as you or your pets, so if your serious about spending the money, do the reseach first. Check out the old TNET archives and you will find all of the info I just spoke of (except they removed all of the kook's stuff). Not quite sure where it is listed, but I would venture to say it was in the prospecting section. CS 8)

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks, CS. I happened to find some websites with more info on them. They make it pretty clear that unless you have enormous piles of computer parts (most common target) laying around, don't bother. And if you do, take it to a recycler who specialized in extraction. Honestly, the chemicals scare me and aren't worth the risk to me personally. However, you did give me an idea about my ornery old cat... ;)

Darren

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really don't need a ton of computers. I started buying the older ones for cheap and then found a website where I could solicit them for free from the local community. I got pretty good at taking the computers apart and have collected about 10 computers worth of cut up circuit boards (gold parts only), pins, memory chips, sims, etc. It's not hard to do with a good pair of tin snips.
Make sure you don't let someone give you any monitors though. This is where the hazardous wastes really are. Lead, Cadmium, Berrylium, etc.

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Okay, CS, you baited me :) What became of your efforts? Was it worth it? Are you still into it?

G

goldmann6

coinshooter said:
Don't waste your hard earned $ and don't get wrapped up with this kook. This lady was on this forum and eventually drove everybody crazy to the point where she was blackballed from the site. She is a know it all who will always want to get the last word in and she has at least 4 or 5 different identities. What do you think that tells you?
If you want an excellent reference on what to do or how to do it there is a guy on ebay who sells a CD. He has a step by step method on how to strip gold off of items and refine it into a nice gold button. If you find his cd on there you will know it by the fact that he actually posts the 50 or so pictures directly in his add. If I can find his cd at home I will post the info for you. His method actually shows you step by step pictures and sounds real solid.
One word of caution with any of these methods: They all create some nasty acids and chemical mixes plus some really dangerous gasses that will kill anything around as well as you or your pets, so if your serious about spending the money, do the reseach first. Check out the old TNET archives and you will find all of the info I just spoke of (except they removed all of the kook's stuff). Not quite sure where it is listed, but I would venture to say it was in the prospecting section. CS 8)
Yes,they all do creat nasty dangerous acids, I know of this person that you speak of,she writes books about finding fortunes in your local thrift store or other overlooked places,these books are a bunch of crap, I feel most people would find her books to be a joke, If you go to a site by Shore on the net they will give you for free all the knowledge you need to refine Au,Ag and Platinum group minerals,as for the man that sells that C.D on e-Bay he is also a shark in my own openion, I know the man that he stold that information from,The man that came up with all the recipe that has now made the E Bay man a large fortune is a computer recycler from Virginia!!!! The E Bay bandit did not steal the whole recipe but sells what he can,you will run into all sorts of trouble when using his methodes!!! I am a private gold refiner who has 26 years of precious metal refining to back up what I say and I strongly sugest yu go look at the Shore free stuff I just mentioned,save your money and your fingers, I also extract gold from scrap circuit boards,this type of gold extraction is best as a starting point,this way if you screw up you will not be loosing a fortune,most computer scrap is free,any questions or coments please feel free to reply,I am always interested in freely speaking with others on what I know,just remember to keep your money!!!!!!

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I guess when you are looking for info and someone is swearing their method works, it might or might not work, but how would you know without trying it? The guy on ebay probably didn't do anything more than we would have done, it's just that he was a true entrepaneur and took it a step futher. I must admit after viewing his method, it is crude and very dangerous for a backyard chemist. As a matter of fact if you were to use his method in CA you would probably get arrested for hazardous waste violations and Air Pollution Control District violations. Without the proper respiratory/eye/labcoat/gloves/foot (PPE) protection in place you are risking death of you and anything that gets within breathing range of this process (cats, dogs, chickens, goats or whatever).
I'm not endorsing any one method as better than another, but this guy's method certainly showed how to do it step by step with photos. I would add a bubbler on top of his "trash can" that could siphon off the Hydrogen Sulfide gas and bubble it through a neutralizing soulution to rid it of the smell and danger of that gas. If this gets out in a neighborhood, it has the most intense smell. As far as this method goes, I will probably try it SOME day. I have been gathering up spare old computers when they are available for free. They only take about 30 mins each to gut them out and it's kindf of fun to collect all the gold in them. Goldmann6 where can we locate the method that you recommend for free. If it any safer? Does it create noxious gasses and if so how are they handled? I'm still looking for a good method, but since I don't know as much about this as I'd like to , I will probably wait a while and continue to AMASS MY FORTUNE. 8)

G

goldmann6

Hello , The site that gives a large amount of information on refining is by Shor International corp, they also have a great deal of free pictures,notice how I say free, they also sell equipment for refining but mst all you need you can find cheap in your local thrift store, I spoke of the E Bay man in disapointment because of how he came about his information on this recipe for gold extraction,and the fact that he sells this incomplete recipe for gold extraction without knowing how to do it him self,yes we would all like to make as much money as he has with little to no effort but what about all the people who mght get hurt by using a systm that is so incomplete? the danger is there for death or other bodily harm, This incomplete recipe is good to start but loses are made at the half way point,with this incomplete systm you will be hastled by silver troubles and loosing platinum group minerals, Like I said before,I have refined Au,Ag and Pt group minerals from scrap computers for many years, I started out with 1 old pick up truck and a lot of dreams,most of my dreams have come true but I still drive an old Chevy and havent lost site of where I came from, Most refiners that you would send your scrap circuit boards to will by them per pound or refine it for you but will stick it to you,Is there any honest refiners out there? there are a few but hard to find, I stay as honest as a man can because I know how it feels to be short on cash and have just enough scrap metal to sell and feed your kids, I also know the pain of cutting up a fortune in scrap circuit boards to get the gold plated parts just to have a rich dishonest man take it all for cents on the dollar, No you dont need a montain of computers to make money, some parts that I process are worth an average of 90 dollars per pound, I also process gold jewelr scrap,gold ore,problem ore and other precious metal bearing materials, I have customers that I have delt with for years,there is no reason to cheat people,there is more than enough moey in this biz to go around!!!! I also do samples for free,I am not trying to sell my services by the way, I am just giving examples of how things should be.one more thing I would like to mention,thrift store jewelry is plated 10-12 gold as a norm,electronics are plated 22-24 karat gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread