Pistol Probe Need users opinion

Opticman

Aug 10, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Re: Pistol Probe Need user's opinion

There are a couple of threads already going on this exact topic. I've had one for a few months now but find myself not using it as much as I did early on. It has fantastic range, no doubt. I have become better at pin pointing with my coil and usually the coin is in my plug of dirt. My Whites Bullseye has limited range but at this point, this is all I want. If you have the Pistol Probe set to max range, then when you scan your plug or hole, you're going to pick up on the stuff 4 to 6 inches on any side of your hole or even beneath your plug laying on the ground next to your hole. So that doesn't do you much good. It really has that good of range when tuned to the max.

I really dislike the ergonomics of the Pistol Probe. It has a funny shape, the button is on the top, you have to hold the thing in an awkward fashion to use it. You compare this to the Bullseye which is much simpler and better in design.

It is a "Depth Beast" which can be a disadvantage as I described. If you tune it to decrease the depth and make it more practical, then what's the point of paying the high price for it. The Bulleseye or the knock off from Harbor Freight (For less than $20) are fine. Limited depth or range to do your final localization of the target or to check the sides of your hole are all you really need.

My 3 cents worth <-- stimulis adjusted)

Optic

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac

Like opticman, I was a short term user of the pistol probe. Opticman is right on regarding the design and ergonomics of the pistol. I do not like the size of the probe, it always gets caught on my legs when I bend over. I thing the construction could be better, I was always concerned that I was going to break the pistol probe with a little rough handling.
I got a Garrett pro pointer with a new detector not long after I bought the pistol probe. I love the garret! It is built heavy duty. No fear of breaking this baby! It is smaller, about 1/2 the size of the pistol and I have no problems carrying it in my pouch with my tools.
I have no problem with the pro pointers ability to pick up targets. It does a better job than most other probes I have used.
I always mean to take the pistol and the pro pointer out and compare them side by side in the field for depth, but the pro pointer is just too convenient and I haven't gotten around to it.

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I just bought 1 from harbor freight , I want to upgrade to one of the better units but unsure of which to buy.

RLOH

Dec 10, 2005

Novaman, I bought a Pistol Probe last year and returned it for a Garrett Pro Pointer. It had fantastic depth, but sometimes that can be a hinderance. I like a pinpointer with about two inches of range. It is easier for me to find a coin when I know I am within two inches of the target, not five inches. But, the main reason for getting rid of it was it's weak speaker. Even on the high setting, I could not hear it without taking my phones off. Even then, if it was windy, I just could not hear it very good. I didn't like getting my muddy hands all over my phones every time I dug. The Garrett also vibrates, is water resistant, and has about 2 to 3 inches on a nickle or quarter. Not bashing, just trying to help you make a wise decision. R.L.

OP
OP
nova

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank You very much for all of your good advice. I think I am going to go with a Harbor
Freight Pin pointer for now. Then if it works out upgrade later on. This way I'm not out
a bunch of $$. Thanks again for all your good help and to the creator of this forum as well.

Novaman

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I think the HF one will work ok for you. I can get about 1 to 2 inches with it depending on the sensitivity adjustment. I bought 2 for 37.97 shipped.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I've read several instances where the Harbor Freight one had the cup on the end of the probe come loose, so check that and add a little glue if needed.
HH
Bill

hollywood13185

Jan 18, 2009
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett GTP 1350, Ace 250, Detector Pro Pistol Probe

I like the probe. Had to buy the thing twice! because I broke my first one hopping over a gate. Had it in the holster and it caught the gate and snapped the probe end right off. Talk about pissed. :BangHead: It is a little too long and bulky but I like the range. Its helped me find lots of stuff I would of probably walked away from.

Gettintoknowsomethin

Feb 15, 2009
Long Beach CA.
Detector(s) used
$49.99 Radio Shack

I just got 2 pistol pointers that way if I break one I have a spair! Of course I married a rich woman so money isn't a problem!

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac

dontknownutin said:
I just got 2 pistol pointers that way if I break one I have a spair! Of course I married a rich woman so money isn't a problem!

Why have a probe that you know is going to break? I will take a little less find distance and use a heavy duty probe that I know will hold up in very rugged conditions, ie: garret's pro pointer.

hollywood13185

Jan 18, 2009
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett GTP 1350, Ace 250, Detector Pro Pistol Probe

Im not sayn its fragile, its actually quite durable but when you wedge anything between a gate and a 165lbs of force down on it, its gona break no matter the brand. Operator error by me thats for sure. Im a kluts.

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac

hollywood13185 said:
Im not sayn its fragile, its actually quite durable but when you wedge anything between a gate and a 165lbs of force down on it, its gona break no matter the brand. Operator error by me thats for sure. Im a kluts.

Major klutz here. That's one reason why I leave the pistol at home and take the pro pointer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions