Probe question and introduction...

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
Hi,

My name is Julien and I live in Cartersville,GA. I'm 53 and new to detecting. I bought a Soverign GT, a Sun Ray S-5 Invader 5" coil, the ML meter, and a pair of the new Sun Ray Pro headphones. I have owned and operated a pest control company in NW Atlanta and Cobb county for about 20 years and find that it opens countless doors to really good private property. I got permission to search a yard of a house in Cartersville today, the house was built in 1867. Yep, 1867! Anyway...
My other hobby is electric guitar and my wife is really glad I have picked this up because maybe now I won't be buying another amp every month, laff.

So, my question. I've been looking at the Sun Ray S-1 probe for the GT and I can't figure out exactly what it will do for me that will be worth 200 bucks or so. Is it just a pinpointer? because I can pinpoint fairly well with the GT OR... will it help me to ID a target? or what??

BTW, I found a couple of cool diecast toys today in the yard of my wife's office/used to be house. It was built in the late 40's. I found a little gun, a six-shooter about 1.5 inches long with a working trigger/hammer. It has a RR on the grip so I figure it's a Roy Rogers toy, the other one was a couple of feet away. It's a diecast Coca~Cola bottle about 1.5 inches tall, I haven't cleaned either yet.

BTW, I have had my gear for about 2wks now and am going out most every afternoon for a few hours, I am still on the hard side of the learning curve but I know that the only way around the curve is to put in the time and I am enjoying every minute of it.

Julien

Upvote 0

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That price seems way to high, A Whites bullseye pinpointer is around 50- 60 dollars. I dont use mine unless the target is under a root or rock. Or is a very small item. Good luck.l

ThomasJames

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hii jbow, yes, I agree with tsgman, the price you are telling is the way to high.

biyaa

Feb 26, 2017
Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinpointer save you time using the main detector find the target while you dig. Majority the pinpointer doesn’t have id. Garrett and Minelab one I recommend pretty good. Once you use pinpointer it hard go back using main detector to pinpoint as it can get frustrating locate target. All comes down your budget but it well worth invest to speed up your recovery time. Cheers mate

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty old post but age old question is still a common question. I have numerous pinpointers. I always bring out 2 on a hunt and carry extra batteries.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions