A Friend needs Help with Garrett Seahunter 2

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
A Friend needs Help with Garrett Seahunter 2

A friend of mine has a Sea hunter 2 like all pi machines he has a lot of trouble with iron and needs an experienced user to help him in setting it up in such a way to avoid iron and still be able find the good targets.What settings should he be using on his discrimination . He also has a big coil which he is having trouble pin pointing any useful tips would be well appreciated . He is not sure on the discrete and standard trash elimination modes, which is the best to use?
Hope someone can help him out Seeya Neilo

Upvote 0

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Re: A Friend needs Help with Garrett Seahunter 2

From what iv heard you have to dig everything with a PI unit :-\ But i could be wrong! wouldnt be the first time ;)

Cfm

Jan 15, 2005

I don't own a Garrett PI, but I have a PI and I have found the best way to pinpoint is to slightly lift the coil and run it over the target on edge and as soon as you hear the sharp tone, thats where you dig and just about everytime its right-on... With a PI you dig it all, well at least for me and it doesn't bother me one bit... I have had my PI for just about 2 months and have found 25 rings so far... Does your friend have a big scoop for detecting in the water? That helps to :)

OP
OP
neilo

neilo

Aug 23, 2005

He has a good stainless steel scoop with long handle and has dug some huge holes in the passed. Thanks for the tip on the pin pointing I will pass it on. We were down the beach yesterday and he was having a lot of trouble with all the iron signals, I use an excalibur and have no trouble sorting out good targets from the iron junk targets. The sea hunter is supposed to have an good discrimination set up but being new to the machine he is having some problems sorting things out. That is what prompted me to ask for help for him through the forum
Thanks again seeya Neilo ;D

Cfm

Jan 15, 2005

Neilo

Sometimes a PI can pick up a salt deposit and when you dig a scoopful of sand the target vanishes... Or if the target was old iron it could be just a halo of what once was there and again it goes poof when you disturb the sand. Your friend could be finding small eyelets as well and those suckers as well as staples and little pins fall right through the scoop holes... Patience and good things will be in his scoop sooner or later :)

ozdrew PI dig all

Mar 20, 2005
Australia

hi neilo ,
I HAVE A SEAHUNTER MK2 ,for 3 years and i dig all targets on the beach.
Rusty iron give a hi treble sound, practice and you can pick it, (i still dig them)

Bobby pins/hair clips give a beep beep as you pass over them. When they are long way to the sweep of the coil,
New Bottle tops are like 20 cent coins, rusty bottle tops you can pick them, if not dig away.

Because i dig every thing you soon learn the sounds , but the other day i had a $2.00 coin at 6-8 inches and it sound like a rusty bottle cap , but i dig every thing.

Most coins will give a solid tone. I have been detecting the local beach on the dry sand, wet sand and waste height.
with fair results , works about 5.00 and hour tax free ....best coin depth was a $2.00 at 15" face up.

Changing the discrimination will lead to loss of depth , but i tried it and found very little stuff, i then went back to no discrimination got great depth and lots of rubbish , now the beach stays clean and all goodies are taken home for the wife inspection.....

I have been detecting the local beach on the dry sand, wet sand and waste height.
with fair results , works about 5.00 and hour tax free ....

Hope that helps

Next MD might be an Quattro or exp II
Neilo have you had any or know how the Quattro performs of do i just buy a EXP II????

Andrew

OP
OP
neilo

neilo

Aug 23, 2005

Hi Andrew thanks for the info I am in Sth Australia where are you. The Quatro I will probably upset someone now. According to a Minelab technician a friend they are 20 % less powered than the Explorer.With cheaper screen and components and lack a lot of the Explorer features. I have had people using Quatros alongside of me going over my targets which I have picked up and they havent been able to hear them. Recently a friend and myself were both using Coiltek Platipus coils machines testing them out there was no doubt which machine was better.
As I said I have probably upset someone now Seeya Neilo

ozdrew PI dig all

Mar 20, 2005
Australia

Thanks Neilo ,
I live on the sunshine coast in QLD , Thanks for straight up Answer to my question, I will now save my dollars and get EX II .I always wondered why there was a $400 difference between the Quattro and the EXII now I know. Thanks heaps !!!,

If any one gets up set from you telling the truth, from personal experiences, well I ask the Question not them, so its up to other to make an informed decision on what they read or hear and then spend there money on.

This forum is a collective of minds that participate in the good of all even with different opinions. Any way thanks again and I hope you don?t cop to much flak.

Thank Andrew

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now you got me upset!? Smithers, release the dogs!? Just kidding!? I have a Sea Hunter, haven't had it very long, but you're friend will be digging everything as I see it.? The discrimination is not very useful and if turned up too high will cause him to miss a lot of good targets. I'm working on learning the tones and the discreet feature is just another channeling of the tones as far as I can see.? Can't afford the " big boys" and I hunt only fresh water beaches so I don't see a lot of the problems associated with salt water.? I have read many really excellent reports of finds with the Sea Hunter and that was most of why I wound up with it .....putting the cost aside.? Hope your friend is wealthy.? I just corresponded with a mate down under who said a common Bounty Hunter runs near a thousand dollars U.S. and there is a 100% import tax on electrical equipment in Aussie land.? And I thought things were bad here!? Good old US of A..... the Star Spangled Banner playing in the background!? Monty?

OP
OP
neilo

neilo

Aug 23, 2005

Monty I think your mate might have exaggerated slightly bounty hunter Quick Draw 2 are $ 425 aust. and Sharp Shooter is $660aust, Aussie dollar worth about $ 0.75 American.
I think our tax is 20%.

Andrew pleased to help. I went to a school today found an old chinese coin and what looks like a very old celtic coin Looks like some body took them to school to show them off and lost them I found them both with my Explorer 2 they were down about 10 inches so they must have been lost years ago. My oldest coin found was a portugese reis early 1700 I think the celtic one is a lot older.Looks like I am going to be doing some research and see if I can get a date on it.
seeya Neilo ;D

Daniel Montes

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2006

In case he gets frustrated with the pulse induction machine, I am willing to buy it. Pulse induction detects all metal and does not discriminate. Its a true saltwater machine. Let me know. Daniel Montes, 682-429-7421, [email protected]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread