Ever Had a Bad Experience With a USED Detector?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Ever Been Taken On a USED Detector?

I have never had a problem with any used detectors I have bought

I have bought 2 new detectors:
Whites beach Hunter ID ( Traded it in on the new Sovereign GT below after it leaked twice on me under warranty)
Minelab Sovereign GT. (Still own)

I have bought 8 used
Whites 6000 XL Pro (Still own)
Fisher 1235X (Still own, its my competition detector)
Whites Classic ID with Mr Bill Mod (Still own)
Sovereign GT (Still own, Custom Water Proofed, my primary water detector)
Minelab 1000 (Still own, my back up water detector)
Minelab 1000 (Sold for $75 less then i paid for it after a year)
Troy X2 (Sold)
Tesoro Conquistador (Bought it for freq shifter and sold it)

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

In my case, the only detector I got screwed on was a new one and wound up losing $200 in the process (just suffice to say I won't buy another Fisher made machine and leave it at that). However, there was a used detector, a Tejon I bought that I had to send to Tesoro because it was all beat to &#% and they reconditioned it for me and didn't charge me anything and then when I resold it I got most of my money back. Yeah, we are a niche market and we're lucky to still have a few companies with such strong customer support. I don't know how long that will last though as these companies have to be in business to make money too and the way the global economy is kicking our collective butt and smaller companies are being bought up and "globalized" I'm afraid it may only be a matter of time before all the detectors are plastic toys that manufactured in some third world company and don't last more than a few years. Support the best detector companies and buy new, we need 'em to stay in business.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

Michigan Badger said:
We're going to pretend Monty didn't say that ::)

Anyway, here's a crap machine I bought from "another respected forum member." >:(

Badger

you really didn't get that from here did you?

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Re: Ever Been Screwed On a USED Detector?

I cannot speak about any brand other than White's. I bought a used XLT. Before I bought it, I took it to White's and they looked it over for free, fixed a loose ground wire, and did it all while I waited.

Then they told me, "bring it in once a year and we will be sure it will give you good service." Since then, each year I take it in and they have done things like replace straps and scratched faceplates and even the decals that were starting to look beat up, all for free and all while I waited.

I can honestly say I have never had better customer service from anyone, ever, than I have had from White's. If I were going to buy another used detector, I would look for a White's.

PS I am not a dealer, just a very happy customer, which is a rare thing nowadays.

Mike

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh yeah, well check out the one I bought used! And man am I pi$$ed.

md.jpg

:D

Attachments

• md.jpg
    md.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 592

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Michigan Badger said:
BuckleBoy said:

Now I'm glad I didn't win that auction! :o

Badger

P.S. Do you think it really is an early Fisher F75 prototype?

All I know is that the control box says First Texas, and it has a big letter "F" on it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Badger don't know about on the Finds forum, but your above reproach here as far as I and most members here are concerned.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Michigan Badger said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Badger don't know about on the Finds forum, but your above reproach here as far as I most members here are concerned.

Thanks for the good words. After this I really needed to hear that.

I sold the guy that IIb with Whites rod modification, battery recharge pack--and even gave him my Depth Master (like $70) all for $360 shipped. Now those machines have gone up in price and he could get it fixed (if it needs it) and still make out like a fat rat selling it.

I'm really really sorry I sold it to him. Wish I could do that one over.

But like I've said--from now on, no more. You guys know I buy and sell lots of detectors every year. From now on (with a rare exception now and then) I'm trading my used machines into a dealer. I don't need this stuff.

I know for sure my next Nautilus IIb won't got to a THer. Too many people just can't understand the coil balancing process.

Badger

That's it. You should only sell Nautiluses to Electrical Engineers from now on--they're the only ones that can figure out how to use 'em! :wink: :D

The guy should get over it. For that price, you practically gave the machine away.

-Buckles

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21

mrs.oroblanco said:
I'm still awe-struck that Monty can remember back to 1956 ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :thumbsup:

B

Seems like yesterday!!!! ??? :thumbsup:

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Treasure_Hunter said:
I have never had a problem with any used detectors I have bought

I have bought 2 new detectors:
Whites beach Hunter ID ( Traded it in on the new Sovereign GT below after it leaked twice on me under warranty)
Minelab Sovereign GT. (Still own)

Sovereign GT (Still own, Custom Water Proofed, my primary water detector)

How about some photos of the GT and some info about how you waterproofed it?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EpsilonMinus said:
BuckleBoy said:

THAT is awesome. I wonder what the headphones look like.

The headphones were earmuffs with a phone cord and 1/4 inch jack attached. :-\

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
........Buying a used detector from a complete stranger should always be done with "BUYER BEWARE"......................but even after saying that ....do not let that stop you!!.....some detectors are rare and the only way to buy one is off EBAT.......or one of the detector Classified Forums........Most Vintage detectors that I purchase ....I know will have problems so I kinda limit my self on how much I will spend!!.........One way to really avoid all of the problems is just to look for non working detectors.....they are a lot cheaper and I have a local repair technician who can fix most of the name brands for a very reasonable price!!.......

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
No

Bought 1 from a member here (Johnnycat) and was extremely pleased with transaction.
Was leery of sending straight money, but he has been here a good while and went for it.
Was all he said it was and am very happy.
Bought one from ebit and that was OK but a visit to factory a couple hrs. away and that DFX was like new even though it was way past warrentee. Free. Cannot say enough good things about their customer service.

I had (still do) a coil for sale and someone with less than 10 posts wanted me to send it and they would send me the money.
I don't think so.
There are great folks on Tnet. I trust them.
(and if they fail, I know someone near them that will make it up.) LOL

Grey

bushlight

Aug 24, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Ace 250 hanging on the wall,Whites mxt,garrett at pro that the girlfriend uses now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep i have ! I just bought this used mxt. Been out with it a few times. And all it wants to find is.Penny's,nickles,quarters,pulltaps guess it dont like dimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread