New Ace 250 Arrived and first finds from Yard

T

trojan

Well I picked up the MD and had it together in about 5 minutes, my boy and I spent 3 or 4 hours in the yard and in the beggining we started to dig every bond,bing,ching and chang,,,this tactic proved to be very time consuming and after pulling up some rather large pieces of metal we decided to set it up for coin mode with the sensitivity on about 4 or 5 bars.

The findings for he day are as follows,

6 penies 1 US (1950) and 5 Canadian, nothing very old.
1 house key to my parents house that my sister lost
2 square nails
1 ring with Opal???? ( wife seized )

Some of my neighbours saw me in the yard and they all want me to do their yards next and my little boy thinks this is great fun, so it appears that this could be a great hobby for the whole family.

I have some questions on the DISC settings?

1) it has settings from the far left to the far right, so where should it be? below the little icons above the moving indicator?

2) Sensitivity, should it be about 4 to 5? and I tried it at full and it didn't seem to get "chatty" so,,,if it doesn't act up can I keep it at full sensitivty??

3) Should I only dig targets that ring when I sweep from more than one direction?

4) Is it normal for MD to make clicking noises?

I probably will have many more questions but for now I have to try and get all this dirt of of me and my kid.

Thanx for all the great posts about the Ace 250 it really helped on my first day.

Troy

Attachments

• Picture 047.jpg
    Picture 047.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
ill try to answer your questions but i dont really understand the first one. there are little blocks at indicate which metals are being detected (iron/foil-gold& bronze-pulltabs ect).if you move the curser that is over top of these bars with the discrim button you can choose which metal the detector will ignore by getting the curser directly over the notch for the chosen metal and pushing the elim button. when you are in coin mode for example, the factory has already chosen which metals to ignore.your question of where it should be (if i am understanding you right) is kinda hard to answer as it depends on where and what you are hunting for and which metals you dont want to be bothered by.sometimes what i will do is.......say you are digging tons of pulltabs. scan a pulltab and the machine will light up the icon under pulltab. while the icon is still lit,push elim and you will"notch out" pulltabs so that the machine will not detect them anymore.keep in mind that more than just pulltabs can be notched out by doing this because some metals such as gold share the same conductivity as pulltabs,so if you want to find it all you have to dig it all!

question 2-sensativity is kind of another term for depth. you should try to use the highest sensativity setting you can, while still keeping the machine stable. if the machine is set with too high of a sensativity setting it will chatter and give off false readings.when it does this, just back the sensativity down a notch untill the machine runs stable.different locations will require different sensativity settings as the soil minerilation is different at each location.

question 3-most of the time, when the machine only rings in one direction it is junk (in my expieriance). however......NOT ALWAYS!! if a coin is sitting on edge, or is otherwise hard for the machine to get a solid "read" on the target, it will only ring in one direction and the target id will bounce all over the place.my best advise would be to get into the habit of digging these erratic targets. 9 times out of 10 it will be junk,but that 1 time..........it could be something awesome!

question 4- the machine is probably "clicking" or "chattering" because the sensativity is set too high and it is not running stable.just turn down the sensativity a notch or so.

good luck with that new ace,and dont forget to post your finds!

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Trojan,

a ring on you first time out with your new 250; enjoy that machine, nice finds.

have a good un............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

OP
OP
T

trojan

Thanks for all the feedback guys, now I am out to dig some of those good and loud one way signals. Last night I also quickly checked a neighbours yard and got some great indicators but it was too dark to dig and I couldn't see the MD's panel (backlite needed). The yard has had some archaeological digs done on it in the past by the museum but only near the shoreline where a native encampment was found. I believe the rest of the yard has not been touched so it has lots of potential, only problem is the owner won't let me keep what I find,,,O well, it will be interesting anyways.
The History of the property is that it was used as a watering and trading location for old square rig ships way back in the 1800's and the property next to it was a seaplane base in the early 1920's (owner of this one will be difficult to get permission from).......So within walking distance of my house is some great spots, can't wait to find my first silver coin, my father was always checking his change when I was young and when he found a silver dime or quarter he would educate me on the value that they would posses in the future because the didn't make them anymore.

I will post my finds or lack of finds tonight.

Troy

:-X

OP
OP
T

trojan

End of the second day with the Ace 250 results.

I only got about 2 hours to search today, having 3 kids makes it a bit hard to find some time but I did get my middle daughter (13) to go out with me for a bit. She only pretended to not be with me when a car went by, so it wasn't as painfull for her as I thought it might be, she actually got right into it once the bells and whistles started to happen.

Searched a new playground (peagravel) and didn't find one item, I guess the kids are all packing plastic now instead of change. I noticed that there was an old tree with some natural cover under it so I went and tried there and right away I found a small cache of pennies (8) none very old but the idea that some little person hid some money there was kinda cool, now I just have to find the tree where the adults/teenagers took refuge (SEX) and the finds should increase in value. Well for my first cache what can a guy expect on his second day.

Problem I had was Roots and more roots, had some great signals but they were under some good size roots, which makes me believe that they could have been there for awhile. The area I was working was a bit to public to start major excavation but I did take note of it for another time.

The pennies I did find were no older than 1961 so I won't include a picture.

I will keep you all posted, hopefully I can use my detector at work tomorrow when no one is looking.

Troy

Slug Hunter

Oct 16, 2005
Tennessee
trojan said:
I believe the rest of the yard has not been touched so it has lots of potential, only problem is the owner won't let me keep what I find,,,O well, it will be interesting anyways.
I would say ignore that guy for awhile, perhaps wait til he /she is out in the yard and maybe go out in your front yard to "practice" a little. Seeing you MD'ing and ignoring this person will eat at them until they decide to cut a better deal with you, 50/50 is good. Truth is, there are too many places to have a good time with a detector to do all the work for some jerk and just turn over all the loot. They will come around...they always do, lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread