Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
What If You Found A REALLY Big Treasure?

Would you report it, seek all necessary permits, etc., or would you subtly attempt to remove it and keep your mouth shut?

Please tell all.

Okay, I know I'm asking too many questions on here so this will be it for a while. But seriously, I've wondered about this one for years. What if I knew where a Treasure Galleon was sitting on the bottom in 25 foot of water? What if I knew there was a pot of gold buried on Harold?s farm land? What would I do? What would you do?

What say ye?

Upvote 0

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Report it, and they will take it........nuff said there! There was a large cache of gold coins found in an abandond mine here not too many years ago, and by the time all of the government agencies were done, the lucky finder ended up with nothing. Two years ago, a man a few towns away found a dufflebag with over $200,000 in it in his front yard one morning. He reported it to the sherrif's department , and after no one claimed it they refuse to give it to the finder claiming that it "May" be drug money . I would keep it to my self, maybe sell a little off here & there to buy more toys.

Paul

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree. I do not like the idea of being dishonest, so I would leave the government out of it!!. We all know what happens when they get involved. Really, how many of us have been treated like crap by our government? I would definately store as much as possible and sell it off in small quantities. Nothing over $9000 per month. Let the fed take care of itself. HH! Chris

gunner6170

Oct 6, 2005
North Carolina
::)
Have to agree with the other postings, I'd keep my piehole
shut and sell it little by little. or look at it this way... you're
just being as honest to the government as they are to you! :D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul in WA said:
they refuse to give it to the finder claiming that it "May" be drug money .

Paul

SO How does that make the Money Illegal to own ?
(And if it IS Maby The Police Should Have sent it to the mint to be Shredded ;) )

Dosen't Every Bill Have a Statement to the Effect "This Bill is Legal Tender for All Depts Public Or Private" ?
(Sorry, I don't have any on me, The Wonders of Plastic)
any way, Isn't an Illegal Deal a "PRIVATE DEBT" ?

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, gov't can also squelch getting money, too. I have a friend in AZ who actually created a generator based on kinetic force. I may not explain this right, but it took very little power to initiate the rotations and the generator was self perpetuating with more output than input needed to function. He attempted to patent it and the gov't basically told him not to create it. They said it had too many military applications and would threaten national security. He was so angry, he went to Korea with it. Our gov't arrested him and put him in jail for just over a year. He is out now with his life savings gone. But I'm sure he'll eventually rebound with a new gadget. Too bad - someone in another country may create it and then the gov't will have to call my friend back...

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III
I always have permission where I dig. I would with a clear conscience walk away with it and keep it to myself. I know there are folks on here that have already done it, there just has to be with this many fine TH'ers here. It is tempting to reveal something like that to show off the goodies, but resist it if you can. Dig it and zip the ol' piehole! ;D

Rich

K

Kentucky Kache

Zeb said:
What if I knew where a Treasure Galleon was sitting on the bottom in 25 foot of water? What if I knew there was a pot of gold buried on Harold?s farm land?

I'd say, "Let's go treasure hunting, friend"

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich in Texas said:
I always have permission where I dig. I would with a clear conscience walk away with it and keep it to myself. I know there are folks on here that have already done it, there just has to be with this many fine TH'ers here. It is tempting to reveal something like that to show off the goodies, but resist it if you can. Dig it and zip the ol' piehole!? ;D

Rich

I agree ;
? ? ? ? ? ? If I hit it REAL BIG tho, I don't Honestly Know IF I could Keep it Quiet, Even Tho That is & will Always be the Best advice.
? ?I guess alot Would depend on IF I needed To Keep My Mouth Shut For Others Involved, Or Just For Myself.

? When It Comes To Myself, I tend to take More Chances. I guess It's The Thrill Of The RISK. And the ACHE to Brag to (Discuss With) Someone? ;D

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree ;
? ? ? ? ? ? If I hit it REAL BIG tho, I don't Honestly Know IF I could Keep it Quiet, Even Tho That is & will Always be the Best advice.
? ?I guess alot Would depend on IF I needed To Keep My Mouth Shut For Others Involved, Or Just For Myself.

? When It Comes To Myself, I tend to take More Chances. I guess It's The Thrill Of The RISK. And the ACHE to Brag to (Discuss With) Someone? ;D

Extremely well put, Jeff! I agree 100%

Treasure found is a real rush and I've been there myself and know first hand. But, after it's found, its just treasure. Exciting experiences are always alive and their shine never dulls. I love the thrill of the hunt!

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
? ? I would not tell anyone. The less the merrier in this situation. Being able to laundry some types of treasures would be harder than others. Finding Mason jars full of coins or a ammo box full of paper money would be a lot easier to spend than jewelry or gold bars. But after turning what you need into cash you spend it on looking for more treasure. Seems obvious to me. ;D

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I would lie about the size of the cache to make it seem not as big of a deal, course i would share ALL my finds on this site even if i was hiding them from the gov't :) If the government did come looking for my money i would simply re-hide it ;D

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I started this post but haven't stated my position yet.

What would I do if I hit the mother lode? I guess I'd have to say I don't know what I'd do in that situation. Many factors would have to be considered. If I knew my find was worth $400,000,000, a small fraction of the loot would buy a lot of lawyer time. If I thought for say $10,000,000 I could keep the rest of the booty and be free to pursue publicity, which would greatly increase the future market value of my find, well, in that case I may shoot-off my mouth.

It all would center on publicity. To gain publicity (and thus higher prices for your loot), one first needs to own the treasure. So, it?s all a matter of considering the current laws and chances of gaining ownership. One could simply remove the treasure, risk being caught, and sell it off bit by bit on ebay for about 1/10 the value it could have if people knew it was ?The Treasure of Cahuenga Pass.?

Gold coins normally worth $700 if found by the wreckage of the Titanic are worth as much as $40,000 ea.

What would I do? It would depend on many factors.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent Points ZEB

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jim, everyone loves a good treasure story. Since you've paid your taxes on it, do you feel free to tell us what you found? I'd love to hear about it :)

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
Darren in NC said:
Jim, everyone loves a good treasure story. Since you've paid your taxes on it, do you feel free to tell us what you found? I'd love to hear about it? :)

Ditto. Good treasure stories, in fact, is the reason I joined this forum.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
SWR said:
In addition to the above, I can state that I have found two caches of any significant size. The two of them totaled up to over $100,000. The government never tried to take any of the items found, and taxes paid were less than $10,000. I do not know if that qualifies as a Big Treasure.

HH, Jim

Very nice finds indeed! You had the best thing going for you--a landowner who was cooperative. You were honest with him and he reciprocated. Wish all the stories had this happy ending.

Look forward to reading your story.

K

Kentucky Kache

treasurekidd said:
The three S's of Treasure Hunting apply here - Search, Sift and Shut Up!!

If I found a big treasure, there would be an extra S involved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread