Springfield,Mass wooden nickle

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mother-in-law asked me if these's were worth anything. Thought, I'd ask here where to find out. She has 4 and a part of another. They are approx. the size of monopoly money only longer. Made out of wood about the thickness of cardboard. They are celebrating the 300th anniversary of the founding of Springfield, Mass. from 1636-1936. They are redeemable at face value at the Springfield Natioal Bank, up till and including July 3rd,1936. They have a series number on the back of 17705. The printing and condition is excellent. I know it's not metal or found with a detector, but should have some historical value. Any help out there on their possible value?

Upvote 0

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
G'day, She has what is called a wood flat or wooden money. Some of these are valuable but the partial one is worthless. The biggest authority on values of wood flats is a man named Norm Boughton and he runs a newsletter called Norm's Woods. He is consistently one of the highest bidders on woods sold on ebay. Your best outlet would be to sell to him or post a scan and sell them on ebay. Be prepared to package very securely. If they arrive broken the buyer will demand a refund. Exanimo, SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread