Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah i do but to the ocean. what states are you talking about?

X

X5er

id love to, to spend my entire vacation detecting? oh man that would be so cool? 8)? :D

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try this, hear it's about $5000. Don't know if that's per person or double occupancy.
Many of the folks in my club have done this and found tons of rare items and even gold coins!
I'd love to have the $ some day to do it myself. Problem is, by then Jimmy will be long gone.

http://www.jimmysierra.com/tour_info.htm

8)

X

X5er

MMMUUUUHHHAAAAAA!! im all over that like a cheap sute, thanks coinshooter for the cool link. i can just here it now"were going where?"doing WHAT!! OH NO UH UH NO WAY................oh yeah baby!!!! hhhahahahahahahaahahaahhhhaaaaaaaaaa

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$5000 ??? for the kind of money you could have your spouse, GF, BF, family member buy some pretty nice coins and bury them for you right on your property. The whole family could have a hunt. Imagine digging gold coins etc.

I've heard rumor that 'some' of these guys are seeding these areas with cheap
ancient coins. people find them and think they've found something really old.
Sounds like a good biz to be in... hey maybe we should do this and invite Europeans over here to US for old colonial coins? Think we could charge that much?
::)

X

X5er

yeah i kinda got that feeling when looking at the photos, i could allmost read their minds like "stupid yank" LOL. anyway i was just thinking outloud as to what my other half would say to that ;D

OP
OP
A

ashton9

I'm not offering a vacation but if there was an interest or it has been done, I might look further into it. Of course you would have the burden of constant reseach for new "virgin" areas so you don't need to seed areas. A vacation for hard core MDer's who know there is no guarantee you will find something real good.

This state might be for you Ocean7, I'm in Maine. But I don't recommend getting you feet wet, brrrrr.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going in August,wife's doing the worlds longest yardsale (127 corridor sale) bit,i'm going hunting.Got a friend or two in KY.,Scott co.near Great Crossing,Stamping Ground.Already have permission to hunt area where old post office and old school was located. Both closed around turn of the 20th century and only remnants remain of these sites.I wish I still lived up there, as there are many other locations I am aware of in KY. that I would love to hunt.Time won't allow it this year,so maybe next ???Let ya know how it goes.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The link is totally credible. I am not 100% sure of the costs, but people in my club continue to go back year after year and LOVE it. What they do is go to England/ Wales/ etc. They will put you up in nice hotels. If your wife or husband doesn't detect they have other arrangements made for these folks who want to travel with you but not detect. They take them on tours of the old castles and historical places and shopping areas. The TH'ers are taken to farm fields that are secured ahead of time with the farmer. After their harvests are over they give permission to this group to come out and hunt (I'm sure they are paid for the rental of their field, but that is not your problem). In England, there are laws relating to treasure, so a group of experts sets up a tent on the sidelines of the field and anything found has to be turned into them to authenticate and appraise. I think this is explained in more detail on the website, but you can keep some of your stuff and some may be returned at a later date. Apparently you don't have to donate it. These fields are the same fields that the Crusades were fought on or soldiers have marched on for 1000's of years. What you find is mideavil stuff. One of our guys found a Heraldic Shield Crest that could be traced to the very soldier who wore it into the Crusades! The museum kept this item (I think he donated it), but the guy who found it got a very nice plaque to hang on his wall that had a real nice photo of the piece and an explanation of it's signifigance. He also got credit for the find in the local museum.
Others in our club have found hammered gold and silver coins and artifacts. One day I would love to have the $ to go and do this. Unfortunately by the time you have the money you are 65+ and don't have the energy! 8)

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, they really don't seed. These coins are deep and you have to dig down in the muddy fields pretty far in hard pack to get them out sometimes. The finds these folks have made have increased many of the local museums knowledge of things that went on in those areas. ALso, if they do take your stuff, they have to pay you fair market value for them.

X

X5er

My apologies for thinking it a bit shysty, im definatly looking into it. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread