Back into circulation they go

jsandin

Nov 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Somebody asked a couple months ago what to do with clad coins that have no collector value, but look so bad that they're not recognizable as legal tender. The poor guy said that he was only able to use them in parking meters.

I have a motorized buffing wheel impregnated with brown tripoli. I hold each coin with pliers and buff both sides. In a few seconds, they look like shiny dark-patinated legal tender instead of maroon Necco Wafers. Much quicker than any chemical bath.

Don't do it to a valuable coin.

Upvote 0

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
Save them up enough to buy US silver Eagles.

My E-trac has found enough clads to pay for over 130 US silver Eagles so far.

My other detectors I had in the past found enough clads to buy since 1986 over 3,400 US silver Eagles.

I strictly use the clads I find to purchase US silver Eagles. My first US silver Eagle bought in 1986 cost me $4.79. Silver was down fairly low for many years and just recently went up to over $15. It is now around $13.50. Still not a bad profit for the years of detecting.

When silver was low, I was able to buy 2 or 3 Eagles for each day of detecting. Now I am lucky to get 2 or 3 a week. Still, it pays to convert your clad to Eagles.

OP
OP
jsandin

jsandin

Nov 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't get out enough, I guess. I've found enough clad this year to buy me half a jar of homemade cherry jam at a farmer's market.

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take mine to "Coinstar", I've gone right from the field to the store, without even cleaning them. You get a reciept and cash it in or you could buy something with it. Rich.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread