Some advice on detector?

epi-hunter

Nov 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Hi all -- I've been using an ACE 250 for a couple of months now, and while I think it's a GREAT machine, I am looking to upgrade to something that gives a little better discrimination and target ID for deeper targets. Also, I need something that I can ground balance.

I've done a lot of reading and research and have just about decided on the Fisher CZ3D. I've read what reviews I can find on this machine, but since it's relatively new there aren't that many. If anyone experienced with this machine could give me some feedback, that would be very, very much appreciated!

I'm in the midwest (so no beach hunting) and primarily am interested in detecting old homesteads and farms (for old coins mainly, but relics too). I'm a little worried because I've read that Fishers have an affinity for iron, and old homesteads tend to have a lot of that.... also, some of these sites can be trashy, even with relatively 'recent' trash like aluminum cans. The soil here varies widely from excellent, no clay and low mineral content, to high amounts of red clay and iron.

I had been thinking seriously about the DFX and Minelab ExpII but have pretty much eliminated those two, primarily because of cost (because I can't see a lot of advantage to the higher cost for my own particular needs, compared to the CZ3D.

Any input would be welcome. Thank you in advance :)

Upvote 0

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For your type of hunting the Fisher CZ3D would do well. The ones I have seen used seem to work well in fields relic hunting.

Ed

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
shoot leon a private message. he swings a cz3d.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Fisher CZ3D is a good choice for your area and it will serve you well. The other two choices you made are good also but the learning curve is high besides the cost. The Fisher also has a life time warranty which the other two don't. Try to get a sniper coil also. They get down almost as deep, but make up for it in getting between the junk an being able to detect near fences, etc. The Fishers don't have an affinity for iron and discriminate very well. All machines can read Iron halo's as a good target. They "see" a larger matrix and report it as good. If your after relics you want to find iron too.

HH,
Sandman

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used a Fisher CZ-6a for a few years and I think it's great. True, every now and then a coin sound will end up being a rusty nail but if I pay attention when I pinpoint, a nail will pinpoint longer one direction than the other. A coin-shaped object will give the "round sound". If I got a new MD it would be another Fisher.

Kent

T

tallpaul

dont know much about the cz, depends what your spending limit would be, if you were looking at the explorer ll then i guess the price is no object,, minelab are an excellent machine,, i use the new minelab x terra 50 middle of the road price at ?500, and its an excellent machine, manuel ground balanceing,, spot on pinpointing every time,, great on dry and wet sand and in the shallow too, its an all rounder, deep aswell, take your time on choosing try and see if you can test drive a few,, but yes your right you dont need to spend the higher end prices,, for great finds. HH Paul.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Actually the CZ 3D has been out for some time. At least 2 years so it hardly is a new detector. There should be more feedback on this detector out there on the Fisher or CZ 3D forums. Some Fisher fans think the CZ 3D was a market test of their enhancement concept which will be further expanded in their new Fisher ID edge which will be introduced next month.

The ID edge is set up similar to a Coinstrike in appearance. 4 tone, digital audio target ID.
They are? calling it a Multi-use, do it all detector, with 3 program modes.
http://www.ronsdetectors.com/fisher-id-edge.htm

I certainly won't buy a CZ 3D now but wait until I find out about the abilities of the ID Edge. Some folks think the CZ 3D will be made obsolete by the ID Edge. As the ID Edge has the old coin hunting mode and is $120 cheaper at $600 they could be right. Being an older guy the 1 lb less weight (2.7lbs versus 3.7 lbs) for the Edge compared to? the 3D would be the deciding factor for me. However, as the ID Edge hasn't be released yet this is all speculation.

Actually as winter is upon us I would wait and see what else will be introduced before spring as well as for feedback on other detectors. Usually initial reports on new detectors are glowing until a lot of users post their observations.

George

OP
OP
epi-hunter

epi-hunter

Nov 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Thanks so much everyone; that's exactly what I was hoping for.

I read the last response after buying a (used) cz3d, just today. I had actually tried to find out as much about the Fisher Edge as possible but from what I've heard it was supposed to be a lower end model than the cz3d, with less features, meant to bridge the gap between the excel and the cz3d. This is the first I've heard that the Edge might make the cz3d obsolete. I'm in the midwest but the past few winters it's often been above freezing and I plan to detect through the winter months when I can... therefore the desire to get something now rather than wait. Perhaps I made a mistake... but I'm glad for the feedback. Thank you again,

Epi

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
"Perhaps I made a mistake." WRONG!
You did your research and decided what you needed for your type of hunting...then you bought a very well respected machine.
Don't second guess yourself. Get out there and swing that coil. Learn your machine and you've got it made.
Anyway, even if you decide that this was a mistake, it's still a detector, you can still get out and hunt and come home and make up good stories for all of us.
Just remember to have fun.

grizzly bare

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i dont think you made a mistake.the cz3d is a high quality machine.you should do fine with it.

OP
OP
epi-hunter

epi-hunter

Nov 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Thanks everyone :) I've read the manual (twice) and pretty much everything else I can find on the Cz3d, and it sounds like a great machine. Can't wait to get it and try it out!

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
Good move Epi...

Epi,
I think you made a good decision and I can't wait to hear some reports. You had already decided that the Ace was not the detector that you wanted so you did the right thing, imo. I am in GA so I hunt through the winter also...those headphones help with the wind chill,,,heh. Hey. If I may ask, what does Epi-hunter mean?

Julien

epi-hunter said:
Thanks everyone? :) I've read the manual (twice) and pretty much everything else I can find on the Cz3d, and it sounds like a great machine. Can't wait to get it and try it out!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cz3d is a real good detector.You should never get skunked with that machine. I can not find a bad review about it.I have talked with a few people who own tham and they are all hooked! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread