Frozen Plugs

Gadget

Sep 10, 2005
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I probably shouldn't be asking this for fear that the answer may drive me out hunting when I should be XC Skiing. But it's something that's been bugging me. Sigh... :-\

If I do manage to chisel out a frozen plug, what does this do to that plug spot come spring time? We're all careful to not damage lawns in the fair weather, but you'd think yanking a cardboard-like plug up and hammering it back in would cause some damage to a dormant plant.

I've searched the forum and was surprised to see nothing relevant. Any northern lawn experts out there?

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't Search in Frozen Ground, SO? this is Completly an "Uneducated Guess";

? ? ? ? ?I would Think, since the ground will be moist once it's thawed, and would react like all
Spring planting does, and start growing.

? ? ? ? If it's Dead ground (No Grass) it would just reform to it's original condition, as it Softens & settles.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I know is that if your pinpointing is as bad as mine, you could cut a Barber half dollar into two peices.
(I did)!

T

tallpaul

i would say it would grow back ok ,,, come the thaw,, all things like that want to grow so they will,, try it and learn that way,, trial and error sometimes,,

panzermeyer

Jul 27, 2004
The Great White North
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum Tesoro Tiger Shark
I tried hunting frozen ground and smashed a perfect 1913 dime.Needless to say I don;t hunt frozen terrain anymore.The time can be put to use researching sites etc.Good luck Panz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread