The key to getting permission... How do you ask?

SteveOnTheHunt

Jun 16, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, ACE 250, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
On private property, not necessary to offer a split of your finds, in my opinion (unless they say so, of course). Because to conjur up images that you are going to find something valuable of theirs might just work against you. I usually just say "you're welcome to anything I find", but I have YET to have someone take anything, even when showing them the coins at the end. Or simply, I will put coins, doo-dads, etc... in their hand (if the subject even comes up to begin with, but it usually doesn't).

The tactics to getting on to private land, vary with the type site and type person you're talking to. I mean, are you talking about the well-manicured lawn of an old house? A cow pasture with thousands of acres where you heard a stage stop was in the middle of nowhere? Are you talking about a coorporate concern (ag fields owned by nameless faceless entities, etc..) or grandma buffalos vacant lot? So you gotta be more specific. But generally, I find that posing as a "history buff" works good. (rather than "I wanna metal detect"). If you volunteer in local historical societies, or docent activities, name-dropping opens a lot of doors :)

As for public beaches, you don't need to "ask permission", anymore than you would need to "ask permission" to play frisbee, drink from the fountain, etc.... Unless it's specifically dis-allowed, just go. (be discreet of course, don't be a nuisance, don't be in the middle of holes when busy-bodies are watching, etc...).

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you have access to a sandy beach ... THAT is where you should be hunting for now.
You will need a long handled beach scoop but the beach is where you should be to learn your new detector.
Leave your pin pointer probe at home as you wont need it there.
Hunt early mornings or evenings when the beach is less crowded.
Always fill in any little hole you make ... yes even in the sandy beach ... no that kid digging a 5 foot hole with a plastic shovel dont matter cause he wont get banned for doing it.
It wont take you long on the beach to learn the basic skill required to use your detector elsewhere.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tom in CA pretty much covered it.

You don't have to mention splitting finds, if they don't bring it up first. :wink:

Heck who knows if you talk to them, they might offer new sites as well.
Especially elderly people enjoy a good chat, not just about history but generally.

History interested person makes on some a better impression then if you say you're a metal detectorist.
However they can feel a bit fooled when you then bring your detector along. :-\

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
NEVER, EVER, call them on the phone, always talk to them face to face, so they know exactly what kind of person wants access to his property

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talk to people at work and tell them about detecting and show them some of my finds. Tell them you are looking for older properties to detected and looking for older places where people gather. Be surprise how many will tell you that you can detect their place or tell you about places that they know about. Try it talk to them for a while at different times for the next month or so and then see about lining up places for the fall and winter. Good luck.....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread