need help with metal detector

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There is no such thing as setting it to find "just jewelry", as you say. Gold jewelry is a low conductor. Aluminum is also a low conductor. There's no getting around that. To pass the foil and such, you have to raise the disc. But yes, then you will miss small gold jewelry. If you knock out pulltabs and mid conductors, you will miss medium sized gold jewelry (bigger men's rings, etc...).

Your best bet, if gold jewelry is your goal, is to go where gold jewelry is more prominent, to begin with, especially when compared to the aluminum trash ratio. For example: It is true, that there are gold rings in junky parks. If you dig long enough and hard enough, and dig 1000 aluminum items (I'm talking blighted junky inner-city ghetto parks), you will eventualy find a gold item. But if you simply went to a swimming beach, or volley-ball pits, your ratios go up. The mere fact of people frolicking around while swimming, sunbathing (slippery suntan lotion, cool waters that shrink fingers, taking jewelry off for safe-keeping, etc...) makes the odds better. And digging is easier in the sand.

It also depends on the beach, whether your talking wet or dry sand, whether it's a swimming beach or just a junky fishing beach, whether it's worked to a frazzle already, etc....

OP
OP
C

clay14

Jun 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
BOUNTY HUNTER TRACKER IV
yea i know but was in a hurry

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
clay14 said:
the problem is when you set it to just find jewelry you find trash items and i know you will find pull tabs but i find all kinds of trash items any help will be appreciated

Clay, people are spending thousands of dollars on detectors that the sellers blantely advertise will find the treasure and not the trash.
Just read the discriptions at Kellyco ... every detector they sell is the best money can buy.
It is worse than the used car industry and the reports you read in the treasure magazines are just about as bad.
You cant be blamed for believing that hogwash.

Only experience will help you increase your trash to treasures ratio.
Even the best and most expensive detectors made today will lie to you about what is under the coil.
Your ears and brain are the best discriminator ever made but it takes practice to get skillful with any instrument and metal detectors are no different.

Welcome to the world of treasure hunting and metal detecting ... sorry you got sucked in by all the hype.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread