NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that I have your attention :laughing9:. Using a Minelab detector is not all coins and jewelry. Sure I post all my neat stuff and clad, but that's not fair to the nube's who come in here and want to know what kinds of things they could be finding with their machines. I have found all kinds of nasty things (not pictured) syringes, hand grenade (live!), broken glass, live ammo, real pistols, lead knuckles, brass knuckles, rusty nails, stick pins, you name it :laughing7:. Here is a picture of some of the tame stuff I have found in the last two months of hunting. If I am near a trashbin, I empty my trash from my apron into it, but if there is none around, when I get back to my truck I empty it into a plastic trash can I keep in the way-back by the tailgate. So, this is NOT all the trash I have dug in the past 2 months, just a small percentage........NGE Note: the pail is a five gallon bucket, it is half full.

Attachments

• trash.jpg
    trash.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,339
  • 5 gallon pail.jpg
    5 gallon pail.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,342
Upvote 0

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Thank you for caring enough to remove all this stuff from the ground. Every one of us should be doing this when we go out.
I still see folks detecting without an apron and I always wonder what they do with the stuff they find. Even good stuff, as well as good junk(saleable metals and such), are generally not clean enough to be putting into your pants pockets. :dontknow:

And thanks for showing the nubes that all detectors can find the same stuff, if you want them to.

Good luck! HH

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started in may of this year I try to dump when I can but if no can is around or its full I just bring it home ,I have a five gallon bucket for trash I've dumped twice since I started an its allready half full again.

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
They are probably all trash machines until they make one that can image in 3D. I guess you have to look at it as a game in statistics, you will statistically get a certain percentage of junk, and a certain percentage of good stuff, the more you hunt the better your chances of eventually finding something great.

I have been out in BLM a lot lately and find a lot of shell casings, and I do actually put them in my back pocket. I don't worry to much about getting dirty, that is going to happen anyway with all the dust and digging! If I look like porky pig when I get done, well, that just means I had fun rooting in the ground! :snorting:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just think about it if you have dumped the bucket 2 times already and they weigh around 10 lbs each time you could have dumped out 3 or 4 dollars each time. That is why I keep all my trash and bring it home and sort it out. Pull tabs is around .30 a pound. lead .08 a pound, scrap metal .03 a pound and copper is over a $1 a pound. So add it up it is all extra clad that can go into your pocket to help with the batteries and the gas money for your truck or car. If you are spending the time out digging make it wouth the trouble of digging it up.....Matt

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I forgot to mention, I do sort and save semi-precious metals of all kinds. I have separate 5 gallon pails for each...........NGE

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX-II, GTI 2500, Sea hunter, Eagle Eye two box
One day I was detecting in West Palm Beach with a guy that he owned an Excalibur. We started to hunt and I was detecting behind him. 15 minutes later, I found a gold ring exactly where he swept the coil,.............coincidence? did he ignore the machine's beep? I doubt it. Today I met with a guy in Puerto Rico that he own another Excalibur and he changed his mind to buy that machine.

Minelab machines are very expensive to give a cheap works. I bought my Garrett GTI2500 5 month before the "911" in 2001, still it's working like new, finding good finds.

I know people don't like post like this one because they loves those machine.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a bucket for aluminum, brass and copper, I sort it all out and will take to salvage yard when buckets are full, I have almost 40lbs of brass alone....lol

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've certainly dug alot of stuff. I bet the goody pile is pretty impresive also. I have an Xs also would'nt trade it for a new one. Well maybe. ;D

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi Unkown persons left the trash not minelab or any other md. ???

tinpan

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tinpan said:
hi Unkown persons left the trash not minelab or any other md. ???

Easy Tinny,I dont think he was slamming M.L.,he was showing the Newbies what else is found,maybe so they realize they arent the only ones finding trash. Hey NOWGITTN,if you consider those Brass Knuckles Trash I would love to have a set to put in my display case!!!!!!
tinpan

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Tinpan, I am not knocking Minelabs, only stating that they don't only find good stuff, they also find tons of undesirable stuff. I worded my post this way to get everyone's attention............NGE

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Great Post NGE!

I'm glad someone posted the trash!

I certainly go through enough of it to get to the goodies too. I'm just a little too lazy to lay it all out to get pictures of it.

As for the guy bashing the Excalibur. Every machine will miss things, none of us cover every inch when we swing.
Few weeks ago I hunted with a friend with his V3. I found most all the goodies with my Quattro. When I found a silver Washington at 12" the V3 didn't even show that it was there. Does that mean the V3 isn't a great machine? No. I'm sure it would find things my Quattro would miss too. Just the way it is.

Good Luck All,
Mark

Gator01

Sep 24, 2007
Northeast LA
Detector(s) used
XL Pro
MXT
M6
F75SE
ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
or, he doesnt know how to properly use that V3 yet,

the V3 has so many adjustments, gives me a headache just reading about it, and Im a Whites fan, I dont even own another brand. I read all I can on the V3, and most of the post I read relate to how to set it up and operate the machine. It does have preset programs. Dunno, I was up for a new detector and was really pumped about the announcement of the V3, think Im gonna wait another year or two,lol. Actually, Im leaning more toward an ETrac,seriously
Back to main subject,trash. You see someone cruising along, digging a plug now and then, they are cherry picking because of time or whatever,dunno what theyre doing or lazy. Ive dug tons of trash and deposit it in a trash container at home or whereever. Dont save mine for my reasons, have friends that save theirs. Its good to get the trash out of the way, no telling what its masking. Goes along with the phrase, The best discrimination is your eyes.
Some folks trash can be someones treasure,lol.
Best,
John

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Gator01 said:
the V3 has so many adjustments, gives me a headache just reading about it, and Im a Whites fan, I dont even own another brand. I read all I can on the V3, and most of the post I read relate to how to set it up and operate the machine. It does have preset programs. Dunno, I was up for a new detector and was really pumped about the announcement of the V3, think Im gonna wait another year or two,lol. Actually, Im leaning more toward an ETrac.

Wait until you see how many adjustments the Etrac has!! :laughing9:

Gator01

Sep 24, 2007
Northeast LA
Detector(s) used
XL Pro
MXT
M6
F75SE
ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right, ETrac has a few, nothing campared to the v3 tho. I never have used a Minelab, but its in the near future for me. For me, the jury is still out on the V3.
John

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a GTI 2500 and now I have a Minelab Safari, so I can compare the two. I loved the GTI 2500s size indicator, the adjustments were much easier to make and understand. It was a coin shooters delight. I even like that nice lady that came on and talked to me. I heard the talking lady had been taken off the new ones? But, the Safari seems to be much deeper and it is harder to learn because of the multitude of sounds it makes. My detecting club holds an open canned hunt every year and they have a deep hunt where silver quarters and dimes are buried at 9". In four hunts I never found one with the 2500. With the Safari, 9" seems easy! The Safari is much lighter than the 2500. I had to use a "swingy thingy" with the 2500 but I can use the Safari without having too many back problems. And I do have a very terrible back, having broke it twice in a year. So, that's how they stack up for me at least. Both are good machines but I prefer the Safari. And I miss my 2500 too. Monty

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
I like these posts because lots of newbies have a "only finding treasure" fantasy without any idea of how much time and work is involved in being successful at this hobby.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree about the newbie thing. When I first started I thought I'd find a gold coin or two just around some old buildings in town. Then I could just figure on a couple of caches of expensive jewelry or money that I would easily uncover. Then I found out it was really a hard work hobby and wasn't easy at all. Very few of us ever reach the real "treasure hunter" status. But then I became enamured with history and every old piece of junque I found became a treasure. I now hold them up and examine them closely and look at them as a part of the mystery of unknown history and examine them with awe. I wonder who last touched them, what they were like and why they turned up abandoned in the ground. That's the type of treasure hunter I have become and now I truly enjoy it. Monty

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
i failed U.S. History in High School miserably, but guess what I do now when I find stuff like Monty is talking about. I do the same.........NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread