Best detector for $2-300?

Silversound

Jul 11, 2009
SoCal
Hey guys! Newbie here coming over from the coin roll hunting forums. I've been in the market for a detector and was hoping for some experienced advice as to the best ones in the $2-300 range? I'm sure this question has been asked ad infinitum, but I'd appreciate any help! I'm mostly looking for coins and gold in dirt and sand.

Thanks,
George

Upvote 0

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will get many replies to this post. Personally I would keep checking the classifieds. Awesome deals pop up there all the time. You can get more detector for your money that way.

If you you want new, then my opinion would be either a Tesoro Silver umax or an ACE 250.

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Tesoro................. New or used... life time warranty

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GibH said:
You will get many replies to this post. Personally I would keep checking the classifieds. Awesome deals pop up there all the time. You can get more detector for your money that way.

If you you want new, then my opinion would be either a Tesoro Silver umax or an ACE 250.

There are many that like the Tesoro's, but if you want to watch a screen blow smoke up your pant leg, get the Ace 250. It is a nice detector for the money you just can't rely on the screen being right 100% of the time.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
The Little Yeller Feller is a snappy looking, very liteweight, computerized graphic notch machine that set the world on fire when introduced. I got one for my bride to encourage her to metal detect with me.
That didn't go as planned even though she found a bit of clad so I began using it to see how it worked.

It does work !

It is no where near as sensitive as a fifteen year old Tesoro Silver Sabre, has slower response and recovery , gives you absolute FITS when pinpointing (after using a Tesoro which pinpoints EXCELLENT), and the Bong Bong when you find a coin drives me crazy.
I could not consider the Compadre or Silver uMax or the Ace 250 to be particularly deep machines. YMMV

Some folks do quite well with them.

I would personally buy a brand new Tesoro Compadre if I did not have the cash on hand for a Silver uMax.
I traded off my Little Yeller Feller, in nearly brand new condition, for an experienced Silver Sabre uMax.

If you look around the board, TABDOG has done spectacular work with the Compadre.

Best
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
mcgearhead said:
Well I'm still just a newbe to the metal detecting thing myself. But I got an Ace 250 and simply love it ! All I can tell ya from my experiance, is with that one machine, as I haven't used any others yet. For the price tag on an Ace 250 and the ease of learnin' the machine I just can't see how ya could go wrong with one !

Hey Mac,

Please, don't anyone think I would say it might be wrong to buy an Ace 250.
That's just not the case.
In particular, the Tesoro Compadre and Silver uMax at the low end of their competing line are far superior machines, and, simpler to operate.

Response and recovery time is very important with detectors, as it may cause one target to mask another.
If one target is notched out, or discriminated against, it could cause a good target to be missed.

Easy to conduct a test, yourself.

Place five nickels upon the ground surface, perhaps 6" apart, in a shallow arc so you can sweep over them from one side to the end, easily. Use your normal sweep speed and note that you get five separate triggers with the Ace... Well, maybe not ! It's going to be BONGING for a coin alert, isn't it ?

....Just try, anyway....

Then, compress that line-up by an inch, with only 5" between each, and try again. How'd it go ?
Compress the line one more inch so there are only 4" between the coins....
At a normal sweep speed, will it identify ALL the individual coins ?

...My own Little Yeller Feller, bought brand new, would not.
And it was a dandy, and I have no reason to believe it was any different than any other Ace 250.

All my older Tesoro machines were noticeably more sensitive and with a normal (much faster) sweep would detect each individual coin until they were 3" apart and make a short duration "beep". Not a BONG BONG !
And this is with a fairly brisk sweep which I normally use.

Please note this is only one simple, quick test that exhibits the capability of each machine.
Not even any need for a comparison test for you to note the capability of your own machine for your own knowledge.

As this is a surface test, you might note the circumstances would be made even more difficult if the targets were actually in the ground. It's an indication of how the tests will go for that scenario.

There's plenty of other differences that could be discussed, yet this is the simplest to describe.

All told, by far the best way to discover buried treasure is to do research for the best spots, spend as much time as you can with one detector so you can learn it's capabilities, and blind outhouse luck !

I'd rather be lucky than know what I was doing !

Best
rmptr

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Whites Classic ID with the Mr. Bill mod in sweet condition for $275 plus shipping, check it out, IM me if you have any questions about it. It is a sweet detector, I bought it as a backup for my Whites 6000 XL PRO, only selling it to purchase another one down the road. I have a Sovereign GT for land as well so I don't need the Classi ID.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,256446.0.html

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey rumptr...
Garretts don't go "boing" on nickles. I think someone is trying to bestow unknown knowledge.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digginman said:
I own a Ace250 and a Tesoro Cibola. I like both machines. The Cibola will cost a little more, but to me was worth it.

DM

Easy enough to find a used Cibola for his price range, and you're right. It is worth it.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Short and sweet; a Tesoro. If you can find a used Silver Sabre or, better yet, a Golden Sabre you'll be VERY satisfied after you practice with it and learn it's "speak".
You don't want the uMax versions. The older Silver Sabre II and Golden Sabre II are the best. I have a Bandido II that I'd NEVER trade for a Bandido uMax. There's just something about the II's that produce better results.

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Ace 150 or 250 is nice. Any basic machine... White's, Fisher, Tesoro is decent. I started with a White's Classic II. Lots of good used machines out there too. Personally I would highly recommend a used Fisher CZ. It's a solid machine, gets great depth and is easy to use.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
there is also 1 more important tool you need to go with the machine and that would be the garretts propointer pin pointer it is the best i have one and somtimesi take just the propointer and my lesche dig tool and do side walk edges when i get bored and no one says you messed up my side walk they ask you who edged my walkit needed it :icon_thumright: :headbang: :icon_thumleft:

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
kenley said:
hey rumptr...
Garretts don't go "boing" on nickles. I think someone is trying to bestow unknown knowledge.

OK OK
...from my Ace Manual... (I forgot to mail it to the buyer !) and this clip is online...

9. Tone ID—The Tone ID feature produces distinct
audible tones based on a target’s conductivity:
• High conductivity targets (such as U.S. coins)
produce a unique belltone signal.
• Medium conductivity targets (such as
jewelry, nickels and international coins),
produce a standard-pitched audio signal

Really... You try it with yours... you will notice the signal blend.

and the "unique belltone" drives me crazy ! :-)

OK, I will say the absolute best thing about the Little Yeller Feller that I possibly can in hopes of making up for that mis-speak....

The CRACKBADGER uses an ACE 250.

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Surf PI, Ace 250,Excal 1000,PI Dual Field, Sand Shark
I've been tearing up the clad with the Ace 250. I bought the Treasure Hunter Special that comes with an extra coil and some other freebies from Garrett. The price was $276.20 shipped.

I've been having a blast and I just found my first piece of gold, an 18K charm white gold elephant. :hello2:

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silversound said:
Hey guys! Newbie here coming over from the coin roll hunting forums. I've been in the market for a detector and was hoping for some experienced advice as to the best ones in the $2-300 range? I'm sure this question has been asked ad infinitum, but I'd appreciate any help! I'm mostly looking for coins and gold in dirt and sand.

Thanks,
George
Something used from White's, or Tesoro. That nice Classic ID would be an excellent choice. Perhaps you can luck up on a DeLeon, at that price.
If you can find a Garrett GTP1350 at $300, snag it. That is the only Garrett I would recommend in any price range... run from those who would suggest an ACE 250.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dahut said:
Something used from White's, or Tesoro. That nice Classic ID would be an excellent choice. Perhaps you can luck up on a DeLeon, at that price.
If you can find a Garrett GTP1350. That is the only Garrett I would recommend in any price range... run from those would suggest an ACE 250.

It depends on what you're hunting. I picked up an old GTAx 400 and that thing is killer on coins. It surprised the hell out of me. I think it's a great detector and can be had dirt cheap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread