Detuning tip

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to pass on a technique I have learned. First, I use a 1980's Garrett Groundhog for most of my MDing. I like the solid tone (rather than motion-detect) and the way it subtly "talks" to me. I have six newer detectors (mostly cheapos) but old faithful is my usual choice.

One of its features is that you can detune it to a desired amount with one touch of the toggle thumb switch. One example of when I use this is in a favorite totlot that has solid 5" bars as vertical equipment supports and one horizontal bar as kind of a gymnastic pommel horse for kids to play on. That one is suspended about 14 inches above the woodchips and is about 15' long. The vertical ones have a little less than 3' between them. In both cases, it's hard to MD without swamping the detector.

When I use the detuning, it doesn't give a gradual signal increase, but goes to full strength at the distance I've chosen. With the horizontal bar, I set it so it won't trip the signal when scrubbing along the woodchips as long as I don't raise the coil. This gives me at least a 3 to 4" detection depth in the chips. Today I found the bracelet in the attached pic with this technique. When first running the MD around the area without detuning, the bracelet didn't show at all. I also used that technique when I found the diamond ring I posted a while back. I would not have found it otherwise. Just changing sensitivity isn't the same. It's not as effective as detuning. I've tested it both ways. On that day, a guy in the park told me someone had just detected the totlot an hour before. I said, "Okay but I think I'll go over it anyway." My best find ever was the only thing besides a piece of foil I found in there that day. The earlier MDer obviously stayed clear of all that metal.

With the vertical bars, I detune to where it doesn't detect them for about 4" out. This still gives me a little depth in the chips around and between the bars.

I don't know how well this technique will translate to all newer detectors, but I think there are detuning capabilities with most of them.

I also got a wheatie, small ring, and small silver pendant today. Wheaties are a rarity in my local parks. HH

scrubber

jewelry_9-11-09.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread