24 Inches on a Coin

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005
There's a discussion on another forum re a Cibola supposedly detecting a coin at 24". That seems unlikely for any brand or model. Maybe what happened was the tester had the yardstick with the 36" mark at the coil (not at the control box) and moved the coin toward the control box. What he thought he read as 24" before the signal faded was actually 12". Seems more likely.

Upvote 0

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
places i go i could not and wound not want to dig 24''. i do know "PI" units will go that deep, in sand,

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second that digging that deep is work. This is recreation for me. I would use a backhoe on anything past 10 inches here.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As hard as the ground is here you would need something akin to TNT to dig that deep! Less than an inch of moisture in the past 70 days! Monty

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen my buddy who is a dealer do an air test on a quarter with a cibola and it couldnt find it at 7". It was pretty sad. He said he could never find a deep coin with that machine.

One time I dug down 18 or 19 inches for a tiny piece of iron with my minelab explorer with a 15" WOT coil. It was a WORK OUT, but the signal sounded so good that I couldn't help but dig it.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Over the years we hear stories about a certain brand detector finding a very deep coin. Usually what happens is the guy digs way past the coin and then the coin which is in the side of the hole falls to the bottom and presto 24" deep coin.

George

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
george will or may back me up on the NAUTILUS maybe going close to 18 on a coin what say george coins with the nautilus how deep? ::)

Z

ZumbroKid

Now i find that hard to believe after all these years of detecting that you never found one at anything deeper than 9 inches. But the coverage term explains that. Go slower!

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Zeb- Yes a lot of coin depth fish tales are out there. A lot of them are innocently believed but bogus neverless.

Dekalb 33
I have never heard of a Nautilus user finding a 18" coin. Now for certain Nautilus users find Minnie balls at 18" with the 15" coil but I do not know what is the maximum coin depth is for a Nautilus. To tell you the truth if I did find one with a VLF at that depth I would never post the depth as I would not want to be laughed at.

Remember the Nexus thread. Gary posted this on coin hunting in England.

"If 99% of all targets (coins) are less than 8" deep leaving only 1% of good finds deeper than 8"....what machine are you using ? We regularly dig Roman Sestersis at a measured 15"

So I guess it helps to dig in 2000 year old sites to find coins at that depth.

George

Z

ZumbroKid

Didn't you just answer your own question? Minie ball at 15 inches, a minnie ball reads lower than a coin. ;)

OP
OP
D

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005
One of the findmall forums was discussing the Cibola and the depth test in Tesoro's MDI booklet.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
This started on the Tesoro website in the Cibola field test. The airtest states something like it started beeping a couple marks away from 24" (whatever a mark is!!).
I still believe this is a real deep machine, and other owners have confirmed this with their posts. 24" ???
that I'd have to see!!!!
Greg

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
may shadow will air test a quarter at 2 feet, air test means nothing.......thankx george your reply what i was looking for more or less thankx :)

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"If 99% of all targets (coins) are less than 8" deep leaving only 1% of good finds? deeper than 8"....what machine are you using ? We regularly dig Roman Sestersis at a measured 15"

[/quote]

A Roman Sestersis IS A BRONZE COIN THE SIZE OF A HALF DOLLAR, SOME WITH A THICKNESS OF 2 HALFS
PUT TOGETHER....
Is there any suprise someone can pull a coin that deep with a target that size ?
Besides people lets be realistic about this, who carries a ruler every where they go, "just to see"
I'm with the "99% of all targets (coins) are less than 8" school of though, sure I've found some deeper
but most of what I have I did not have to dig that deep for...

and another story, I was selling a used detector at the flea market one time, and this guy asked me
if there was a detector that could find a coin 3 feet deep....
how stupid.... I straightened him out fast...

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"If 99% of all targets (coins) are less than 8" deep leaving only 1% of good finds? deeper than 8"....what machine are you using ? We regularly dig Roman Sestersis at a measured 15"

[/quote]

A Roman Sestersis IS A BRONZE COIN THE SIZE OF A HALF DOLLAR, SOME WITH A THICKNESS OF 2 HALFS
PUT TOGETHER....
Is there any suprise someone can pull a coin that deep with a target that size ?
Besides people lets be realistic about this, who carries a ruler every where they go, "just to see"
I'm with the "99% of all targets (coins) are less than 8" school of though, sure I've found some deeper
but most of what I have I did not have to dig that deep for...

and another story, I was selling a used detector at the flea market one time, and this guy asked me
if there was a detector that could find a coin 3 feet deep....
how stupid.... ? I straightened him out fast...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread