Does anyone know of a cheap microscope...

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check at garage sales, I see them there at least once a month.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Get a USB one from one of the discount stores, they´re cheap and give good resolution.

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
I was looking at the usb ones but they are running around 300 dollars!!!

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
lafatlife said:
From the discounters in Europe they run at about 40.00 Euros so would be about 40.00 dollars in the States. Try LIDL or somewhere like that, or on the internet.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Somebody posted in here a year or more ago about an inexpensive USB microscope

If someone that has search rights (that wouldn't be me) could do a little digging.................

Diggem'

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lafatlife said:
I looked on amazon.com yesterday and the cheapest one there was around $54. I have seen them a lot cheaper, I just can't remember where.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's what you do. Every city has a college right??? Now, I work for the State and I know for a fact that every college has a surplus store. I have bought some great items from these stores CHEAP!!!!!!! (Top of the Line) You have to contact the store on campus to see when the public can come in and buy these items...Yes they get Microscopes coming and going. I have bought them there. Along with magnifier lights. I have bought microscopes for as low as 30 dollars...Yes, they are used. But still work fine. When a college gets new equipment where do you think the older stuff goes? They sell it. Quite honestly, for this hobby all you really need is a jewelers Loupe. I have one attached to "zip strip" in my office always handy if I need it to see a date or to read a back mark. Cheers, Mike

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got a 10-X loupe and a good camera w/super macro. Have you thought about an overhead projector? Put yer item on the bed and project image on the wall.......NGE

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
I don't think a regular microscope would work as the light comes from underneath the item. That doesn't work for coins.

I remember someone on here mentioning one and showing some of the pictures he took from it but I can't find it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread