Gadget that holds coil at precise angle?

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can I get some comments on that little plastic thing that fixes your coil at one set angle and holds it there.

I find that I regularly adjust the angle of my coil, dependent on the terrain I am hunting. If going up hill the angle of the coil needs to be one angle to the shaft and down hill the opposite. Standing on say the edge of a ditch or swale and wanting to detect down the slope to the bottom is another angle. I don't mind the times that the coil shifts and gets out of angle for what I am doing, I just put my toe on the coil and move the handle a little to correct the angle. I don't stomp on it or mash it flat to the ground, I just use the toe of my shoe as a gentle lever point hold down.

If my coil was fixed then I'd have to contort my arms and body to accommodate the conditions. I could understand it being useful if you were a strictly flat land hunter, beach, city parks or what have you.

I'd like to hear (read) some positive comments on the use of the device.

Upvote 0

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mac In NC said:
Can I get some comments on that little plastic thing that fixes your coil at one set angle and holds it there.

I find that I regularly adjust the angle of my coil, dependent on the terrain I am hunting. If going up hill the angle of the coil needs to be one angle to the shaft and down hill the opposite. Standing on say the edge of a ditch or swale and wanting to detect down the slope to the bottom is another angle. I don't mind the times that the coil shifts and gets out of angle for what I am doing, I just put my toe on the coil and move the handle a little to correct the angle. I don't stomp on it or mash it flat to the ground, I just use the toe of my shoe as a gentle lever point hold down.

If my coil was fixed then I'd have to contort my arms and body to accommodate the conditions. I could understand it being useful if you were a strictly flat land hunter, beach, city parks or what have you.

I'd like to hear (read) some positive comments on the use of the device.

DON'T DO IT !!
I bought one of those things...
yes it holds it at a certain angle, but I found that it was not the angle I liked and you can not adjust
it to ANY angle, just preset angles..
I took mine off and now its a wasted piece of plastic in the floor of my truck...

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you need to do is get some extra rubber shimms at Lowes or Home Depot, and
tighten up that coil, you might even get a metal bolt and wing nut to hold the coil on
so you can tighten it up without breaking the threads on the plastic one.

Contrary to popular belief, a metal bolt holding the coil on does not affect the machine because
the metal must be moving seperate from the coil, since its bolted to the coil, it does not and the
machine is unaffected...

and yes, to all you nasayers out there I do use a metal bolt to hold a big coil on my DFX.
I still find the same stuff, at the same depth, just like I always have.

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
the best use for these are beach hunting in the water, wave action moves the coil alot, I made one myself for my water unit, but my land unit I don't use one..

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
I could never understand the concept of wanting a fixed angle for a coil. I also am continually adjusting the angle to accommdate terrain changes, especially in the water. :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread