Advice, please about metal detecting in East Texas

henrysmom

Sep 24, 2009
I live in the East Texas Piney Woods. Can anyone familiar with Texas or this part of Texas tell me what laws I should be aware of before I pack up and go hunting? What kind of parks are off limits, etc, or how do I find out where hunting is and isn't allowed? What about possession of finds in Texas?

What say you all on the advice to start in your own backyard (which happens to be mere yards from a river, of which all I ever find on the riverbank are lead weights ??? )

Also, any tips on where to hunt would be great. Health conditions mean I cannot hunt for extended periods of time but I would like to do what I can.

Love this site, have been reading posts all day lol.

:hello:

Upvote 0

Miningtown

Apr 22, 2009
Argyle, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 DI PRO sl, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Texas State Parks are off limits to detecting...check out the local schools and playgrounds when school is not in session and remember to fill in all you holes and take your trash with you!

Have fun and post your finds! Good luck.

rogerconley

Jan 2, 2013
GILMER, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
GARRETT 250, GARRETT 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't seen one person on the Yamboree grounds with a MD! If you're close to Gilmer, Tx you might think about it. Like you, I can't hunt for long periods of time either, but I plan to check out the Gilmer parks as much as I can. Good luck.

dallanta

Greenie
Sep 15, 2012
East Texas
Detector(s) used
An old Whites 500D and a newer Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yamboree Grounds

I haven't seen one person on the Yamboree grounds with a MD! If you're close to Gilmer, Tx you might think about it. Like you, I can't hunt for long periods of time either, but I plan to check out the Gilmer parks as much as I can. Good luck.

Been a few years since you posted this. You still around? I am nearby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread