Stupid question ...

J

jlar

Maybe this is a foolish question but does anyone have "tricks" or tips on searching fairly large areas? When I find a place that seems like it will have potential I often wonder how to ensure that "every" inch is completely covered. The most obvious answer that comes to mind is to lay out a grid on the ground (I can't seem to walk a straight line with the detector to save my life :( On a beach if I have a small area to cover I will often drag a foot a bit so I have a line to guide me the next trip thru. Elsewhere I pretty much just wing it but then I wonder if I haven't been over it all. I do know that you can go back to a place multi times and still find stuff ...

Considering the size of a coin versus the size of a park or farm field, how does one maximize his odds? Just wander around and hope for the best? Does anyone besides me have this problem?

Upvote 0
A

ashton9

I've wondered myself how much of an area a veteran THer typically covers in a hour.

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
You could possibly try an application used by divers searching in poor visibility.? Stick a stake in the center of your search area, then tie a piece of twine to the stake.? Move in a circular motion around the stake, with each pass extend your area by letting out a little more string.? If you keep the string taught during your round, it should keep you on track.

Not sure if it would work well on land, or if anyone has ever tried it.? Obviously this would only be practical in an open area such as a field. From what I've read it seems most use a grid pattern of some sort.

HH

L

LEVERK5102

I know when I detect large areas I will sometime use something colorful and lay it on the ground? on each side. Then when I get to that side I will pick it up and move it over from where I just detected. I think I do fairly well, but I'm sure I miss a little now and then.
? Some of those little color flags will work great also.

? ? ? ? ? ? Kerry

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of things I have done is get a half dozen of those little wires with colored flags on the end. You can get them at a Home Depot, Lowe's or home improvement store. They usually come in a bundle of 25 or 50, but are about $10 for a 50 wire bundle. I've also seen them where they sell those electronic pet boundary systems to mark boundaries. When walking across a field or park or ballpark with an open area I go back and forth and have a couple of these markers at 6 ft intervals at each end. It gives you a point of reference where you came from and where you are going. When I get to the end, I just move one marker 6' on the other side of the other marker. If there are other people around, I just focus on some object beyond where your ends points are, like trees, buildings, fence posts in a fenceline. I too drag the foot on the beach to leave a line as to where I've been and I've done this in large playgrounds with sand or pea gravel.

Butch(DFXDude)

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In the old days of plowing, a farmer would not look at the ground or behind to check the row for straightness - or else. He would fix his eyes on a tree or post ahead of him until he got there. This always resulted in a straight furrow (try it walking in the snow - it works). For those not using flags, you could use the same principle. When you turn around, keep heading toward something (that measures about the width of your swing) just to the side of your last object. It's not foolproof, but very close :)

OP
OP
J

jlar

Thanks for all the replies. I have a couple of fields that I work on and off and have been trying to figure out ways to grid them so I know where I left off, etc. My family owns some of them so it is not a problem leaving a grid in place .... except for the horses. The flag idea is a good one and one that I will explore. Still doesn't help with keeping on a "line" but I would have the visual aid

For a smaller area that I really wanted to cover I suppose I could run a length of string between them. It is good in thought but I am lazy in practice. I read about the circle search concept in my diving search and recovery book. Should work good in the fields. Mowed lawns work good too ... i just follow the tracks :)

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It isn't a stupid question... but consider this: when things are lost, they aren't lost on straight lines.

One particular beach I like to work is about 100' from waterline to sidewalk, and a mile long. The richest part of it is about 1/4 mile. to do the calculation, it would take me a solid week (without breaks) to cover every inch of that beach. Trying to cover it all in a single night is impossible. I was recently approached by a girl who lost her ring there and asked for my help to find it. I asked if she had any idea where she lost it, and she didn't; she was running when she lost it. I've been up and down that beach 5 times since, and still haven't found it. But I have found other things along the way! So I just wander, trying to cover the beach thoroughly, but knowing I only get maybe 3% of the whole area covered in any given hunt. I'm sure I've walked by a lot of treasure in my searches, and I can only hope I'll find it next time.

If you are covering a park, it is easier to be more thorough, because you can mark it out, overlap all your swings, and come back later to start where you left off. But the beach is always changing, with sand washing in and out, and targets sinking down or being dug up by kids building sand castles.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to a store that sells rock climbing equipment. In it they will have a small bag that holds chalk dust.
Every few feet reach into your bag, grab a small amount of the dust and throw it on the ground behind you.
REI, Inc. (you can look them up on Google), sells stuff like this. 8)

Chiz

Mar 26, 2003
New Jersey....
I drag my shovel, sand scoop, or something tied to my belt or on a hook. Most times you can see your path to begin with, always overlap just a little....

HH
Chiz

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
On the beach I drag a foot. On land I really just do the best I can to grid hunt. No matter what though you can't get it sll. I've hunted spots that I felt sure were hunted out, but every time I go back I find something. Just hunt, I say. For goodness sake, just hunt. We may see some future tecnology that will give us the ability to find it all. But I hope it ain't to soon! ;) C ya.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread