Those Old Treasure Magazines

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
I'm going through my old magazines, hundreds of them dating back to 1969, noting what stories are in what issues because I plan on selling them.

I'm having a ball!

Old treasure magazine ads are fascinating, and they let you trace the history of the metal detector, from BFOs to TRs to TR-Discriminators to VLF to TR/VLF - each in turn being touted as the greatest detectors ever! And many of the brands are long gone.

You old-timers will remember Jetco, Relco, D-Tex, Gardiner, Gold Mountain, A.H Pro, Daytona, Compass (sob), and C&G with their cat-family names: Bobcat, Lynx, Wildcat, and Tomcat.

And the stories! Lost mines, sunken ships, buried robbery loot, ghost towns, and lots of people dying (naturally, or by the rope) before revealing where they hid their treasures....

Who needs modern-day thriller novels when we have these (perhaps) true stories to enjoy?

My latest podcast (internet radio show you can listen to on your computer anytime) is about old magazines. Listen by clicking the pink button at this site:

http://thetreasurecorner.com

---Dan Hughes

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Well, they are still under copyright and it would be illegal to copy and post.

Having said that, if somebody posted some of the older articles I wouldn't be the one to turn them in....

mcdpoor

Mar 14, 2009
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250
I have your podcasts on my favorites list.. I enjoy them very much and have listened to all the podcasts you have on your website. Keep up the good work..

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
yes the good old Days when you could walk the beach and find A - Lot - OF coins . but that the past, ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread