City Parks and detecting

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Are most city parks ok to detect in? I know most of the state owned parks are off limits here in Missouri, but I know many St. Louis city area parks are ok to detect. I live almost an hour away in Warrenton though, and would like to try my local parks. It seems if you call and ask, the first answer is always "no". How do you find out for sure if the person knows what they are talking about?

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first,who are you asking?second,ask for thier name and position.third,TELL them you would like to know the local statutes and/or ordinances preventing you from such said activities.when they can't provide you with specifics,demand to speak with thier supervisor.go through it again with the super.if you still don't get anywhere,contact your local chamber of commerce,tell them your story, act as if you are visiting thier town (like a tourist that's gonna be spending money.p.s.-it worked for me when i couldn't get a straight answer from anyone.)do it via e-mail and tell them to fax a copy,or provide you with local ordinance numbers preventing the use of metal detectors in city parks.if you get a yes answer,print a copy and bring it with you.GOOD LUCK DIGGUMMUP

Gretchen

Aug 2, 2004
Hi,
I have detected city parks and some school playgrounds here in the Southern California Mtns. I go early in the morning and detect only in the sand areas under the playground equipment and the seating at the ballparks. I stay off the grass areas. Digging in the grass probably has made many areas closed to metal detecting. I keep a low profile and pick up the trash - especially the paper, glass, and nails that I can show if anyone comes by. I have been on private beaches early - I do not dredge,
scuba - just walk the beach picking up what I can find as the water goes down in the drought. At this one lake beach (not used anymore) I have found areas in the rocks others have misssed and found silver coins. Wheat cents, nickels, dimes, quarters, halves. My best find so far has been a men's
10 ct wedding band, turquoise bracelet. Last week a 1900 Morgan silver dollar just laying in a partly floating log. I use a basic metal detector, Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Bounty Hunter) and dig almost on everythings. I have a couple hundred clad coins and about 1000 memorial cents. Also over 200 old soda pop bottles, knives, sinkers, oar locks, tokens, etc. Gretchen.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I am really thinking that if at a municipal level, somebody writes an ordinance against detecting, they really need to get voted out. Set 'em up with a hooker and get some pictures or something. I've never even asked if I could hunt a municipal park and have never had anything but police cooperation while doing so. The few times a beauraucrat has tried to demonstrate his "authority" to me they've had their lunch handed to them, along with a pile of rusty nails, aluminum shards, broken glass, etc. They always run off with their tales between their legs when confronted with reality in the street.

That's just one more reason I don't call, they are empowered while hiding in their offices, behind their receptionists. In the nearby counties where there are ordianances against digging in the FP's, only two actually enforce those rules. I stay away from those. On every attempt to try to contact anyone at the county board level regarding this it's always a rude brush off with a stern warning so I'll bide my time and dance/tinkle on their graves.

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
I live in the Waynesville area and have hunted several parks in the area and have never been run off. I never go to any city hall to ask permision because I too believe someone who is not sure of any particular city ordinance will say no, just to cover the bases. I figure if there is a problem, the sheriff or city police would inform me, and then I would gladly leave. In the larger parks, there are park rules posted, and I have yet to see anything referrencing the use of MDs. I also go on the military base not far from here, and have never been run off from there either. This is over the past eight years. Granted I don't go every day, due to my job, but again, never been run off. Infact, I plan to go on the base in the morning--day off. Go for it!

Scallywag

Sep 15, 2004
WHAT'S UP. I HAVE A PIONEER 202(B.H.) AND THIS YEAR I REALLY HIT THE PARKS IN MY HOME TOWN AREA HARD. I COULDN'T HELP IT THEY WERE LOADED!! IT JUST REALLY FOR ME, DEPENDED ON WHAT PART OF TOWN I WAS IN. I WAS IN S.D. NOT A BAD PLACE, BUT THERE ARE ALOT OF NOSY PEOPLE IN THE TOWN I WAS IN. I WAS CONFRONTED SEVERAL TIMES WHILE DETECTING. ONE GUY DROVE BY THE PARK I WAS AT, TURNED AROUND, PULLED ALL THE WAY THROUGH THROUGH THE PARK,STOPPED AND ASKED ME WHAT I WAS DOING. I TRY TO BE A NICE REPRESENTATIVE, SO I JUST TOLD HIM I WAS METAL DETECTING. HE LOOKED AT ME STARED FOR A SECOND, GAVE ME A DIRTY LOOK, SHOOK HIS HEAD AND LEFT. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? SO MANY PEOPLE SEEM TO FROWN ON THIS HOBBY. LIKE I SAID, I DETECTED THE DOG DOO OUT OF THESE PARKS, BUT , EVERY TIME I WENT, I'D FIND MORE AND MORE. THERE WERE SOME DECENT SIZE PARKS THERE. DON'T LET MY NAME MISLEAD YOU, I COVER ALL MY HOLES THE BEST I CAN, AND TRY TO KEEP THE GRASS AND DIRT IN IT'S PLACE. BUT YEAH, ANOTHER GUY PULLED ACROSS A LAWN IN A TRUCK TO WHERE I WAS AT, ASKED ME WHAT I WAS DOING, I ANSWERED AND HE JUST SAT IN HIS TRUCK AND STARED AT ME LOOKING LIKE HE WAS GOING TO GET OUT AND KICK MY ----. I DON'T KNOW, SOME PEOPLE JUST CAN'T STAND TO SEE IT I GUESS. I DON'T LET IT STOP ME FROM GOING, BUT I DO WATCH FOR THE SAME VEHICLES CIRCLING A PARK. I DON'T WORRY TOO MUCH, I HAVE A CELL PHONE. WHY DOES IT BOTHER PEOPLE SO MUCH? SO WHAT? A LITTLE DIRT SPOT. WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread