An old fire road is it worth it?

thing

Aug 8, 2009
I dont have a metal detector. I was talking with my grandfather and he told me about an old road (which i managed to find) that was actually actually used as a highway back in the 20s, it was paved but it hasent been mantained since the 20's. Anyways he told me that the road was closed because people kept driving off the edge. Anyways would it be considered morbid to get a metal detector and poke around in the ditches and ravines along side the road. Anybody know how likelyI might be to find some coins around there? There was also a burned down cafe/gas station about 10miles down the road you cant find it unless you know where to look.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
worth a try.

Go for it :thumbsup:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'd start with the parking area around the old cafe, then around the garage, then do some research and MD-ing on other deserted structures that may be on that stretch of forgotten highway BEFORE I went ditch hunting.
Don....

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Not morbid at all. I've done that before, only looking for iron along old roads. I have also found old bottles doing the same.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those old roadways are places to look for old homesites and dumpsites. The roadside ditches and near bank areas are where old soda bottles were tossed out through the windows of moving cars.

OP
OP
T

thing

Aug 8, 2009
Is old iron worth anything?

I was thinking that maybe I could use a metal detector to look for old gold coins. I cant be the only person who knows this road is there. what is the likelyhood that others have already combed the area?

S

stefen

Too many variables to consider for making an unrational guess regarding the likelyhood that others have already combed the area...we call this as making an 'Anal Pick'...

Many times you read on TN that someone has detected a site that has been hit hard by other, yet they have made a significant find.

Obviously you haven't provided a length of the remaining roadway...so its hard to make a sound approach...

The first thing I would scope out is the location of all building sites inclujding those that have been removed, then locate all mail box clusters, possible bus stops, and any farmer's produce stands, stores and gas stations. These are all areas which coins may have been dropped.

The old mail boxes use to have tin cups where coins were placed for postage stamps...its not unusual to find dropped coins in and around a single or cluster of boxes...

As to finding gold coins...the early part of the 20th century was a poor time economically...pennies, nickles and dimes may be what is found...

You know, cars driven in the early part of the century had a lot of mechanical problems...wonder how many coins were dropped while changing a tire or scooting under a car...I'd scope out the shoulders and pull-outs...never know

OP
OP
T

thing

Aug 8, 2009
I know about the depression and everything. But gold was still used for currency in the 20's. I would find that it would be just as likely to find a 2.5 dollar gold coin as finding 10 quarters or 3 silver dollars. They were all equal.
I mean why would someone not have a gold coin in their pocket and instead have 3 silver dollars.

The road is 17 miles long. there were no homes along the road as far as he could remember.

Is old ironn or coke bottles valuable in some way?

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
thing said:
I know about the depression and everything. But gold was still used for currency in the 20's. I would find that it would be just as likely to find a 2.5 dollar gold coin as finding 10 quarters or 3 silver dollars. They were all equal.
I mean why would someone not have a gold coin in their pocket and instead have 3 silver dollars.

The road is 17 miles long. there were no homes along the road as far as he could remember.

Is old ironn or coke bottles valuable in some way?

You're right, gold coins didn't disappear until after the 1933 Gold Seizure Act. You may find something good.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thing said:

I think silver dollars are pretty rare to find also. They're pretty easy to spot lying on the ground by someone passing by. Whereas pennies and dimes are much smaller and harder to spot on the ground. Even if you know a dime just fell out of your pocket it' sometimes hard to find where it went. A silver dollar would be pretty easy to spot and retrieve if you knew you dropped it.

-Swartzie

teddy

Nov 7, 2009
I've found some of my best coin finds in ditches.

The hottest spots are ditches in front of old schools, train depots, or any place where people might be congregated.

teddy

B

BIG61AL

you might even find a few wrecks too. they might have valuable collectable components - licence plates, stuff with logos or personal items - watches, coins. look for spots that may have been picnic/rest areas and places where they would stop to take a picture or look at the view. 17 miles of over grown roads - wow that might take you some time.
I'd get a good map of the area, start at the beginning and mark every mile with some day glow orange paint all the way to the end on your return trip high light every structure and high target area. Do the best places first and the you can walk the other areas and look for wrecks or relics for other target areas. I would die to find a unsearched 1920's road. remember that people often just stopped any where to eat lunch or stop for the night. Good luck and please post pictures even if you find nothing. the real treasure is in the hunt!

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
have hunted an old unused for 50 plus years highway (299w) and found everything would be along a modern highway.lead wheelweights get me exited,old cans,oil cans,pull tabs,trash galore.would look for nice turnout places, preferably w/view of something.found a few coins,nothing great.people have always littered I suppose.

SteveP (NH)

May 19, 2003
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thing said:

You are thinking of coins in terms of present day values - in 1915 the average worker earned $13.21 per week. In 1925 that went up to $23.76. Most people wouldn't have carried a $2.50 around with them in any form gold or silver. Remember a breakfast cost 10 cents, you could get a pound of beef rib roast for 39 cents, a dozen eggs were a quarter, 5 pounds of sugar was 37 cents. You just didn't need to carry around that much money for everyday purposes so the average Joe didn't carry around a $2.50 gold piece, or 3 silver dollars, or 10 quarters either.

Although having a gold coin as a detecting goal is a worthy one, don't be disappointed if you don't find one. Few detectorists have found them as there just weren't that many carried around and dropped. Also they were worth so much that if someone did drop one, it was really worth their time to look really hard to find it.

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Hey Thing: Always listen to your Grandpa, son, If he said old cars were running off the road and probably rolling down into the ravines and gullies you should be dreaming of coins, jewelry, and any other relic from the 20's that would be scattered along the wreck route. A hint.. look for broken glass and small car parts. I'll include a picture of a recent wreck that I marked for locating come spring. I'ts not morbid to me and if I find personal items like rings they would be returned to the person or family. Go for it.

Attachments

• note to hunt.jpg
    note to hunt.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 284
  • note to hunt.jpg
    note to hunt.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 265

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
17 miles of road and no buildings? Perhaps granddad just doesn't remember exactly.

There had to be houses and buildings someplace along that road. Look for an old map of the area, county soil map from the 1920's would be a good one. Look for driveways and branch roads going off from it. You may just have a lifetime of places to hunt there. Well worth doing some research.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread