Share Your Experiences Buying From Other Forum Members Here and Elsewhere

digluv

Dec 7, 2009
Generally I like to buy used machines. This gives me a chance to try the model and see if it's for me without losing too much money when I resell. If I really like it I may sell it and buy a new detector of the same model.

Most of my dealings with forum sellers have been good over the years. I've gotten burned a couple of times though.

What do you say?

digluv

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buying used from a member here on Tnet should be no problem if they have been here awhile and expecially if they are a Charter Member. It helps to ask a lot of questions of the seller so you know what you are getting. I have sold some detectors and always worried that the buyer would mistreat my baby so Now I don't sell any.

S

stefen

Have bought, sold and traded with numerous TN members and so far have not had a problem...

I'm sure, however, someday there will be that one person who will upend the stats...

So far, I have used my intuition in leiu of any set parameters or guidelines...

OP
OP
D

digluv

Dec 7, 2009
Good posts Sandman and stefen,

I've purchased machines from forum members other than from this forum. So I'm not saying what forum this account is from.

Probably the biggest problem I had was when I was on a Nautilus brand kick. Those machines are known to have issues with their coils. I got burned on a model IIb I bought with two coils. I tried one of the coils but not the other taking for granted the seller was honest. I decided to sell the whole setup to another forum member and ended up in one heck of a nasty situation. That member accused me of being a crook until I gave him much of his money back. He used the money and bought a new coil which made him happy, but I lost $$$.

This incident caused me to leave that forum. The buyer posted a good comment about me but the damage was done.

I learned a lesson and from now on everything purchased is carefully tested before reselling it.

digluv

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really care whether it's a forum classifieds or Ebay, if it looks good I'll buy it. ...and by looking good I mean both the detector and seller.

OP
OP
D

digluv

Dec 7, 2009
Iron Patch said:
I don't really care whether it's a forum classifieds or Ebay, if it looks good I'll buy it. ...and by looking good I mean both the detector and seller.

I agree, but the seller who burned me looked Lilly white (still does).

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
digluv said:
Iron Patch said:

There's always risk, it just comes down to if you are willing to take on a little to get a deal. I've done a very high number of transactions online and my losses are so small it makes me look for that next deal, not be afraid of it.

OP
OP
D

digluv

Dec 7, 2009
Iron Patch said:
digluv said:
Iron Patch said:

There's always risk, it just comes down to if you are willing to take on a little to get a deal. I've done a very high number of transactions online and my losses are so small it makes me look for that next deal, not be afraid of it.

I agree. My problem has always been I tend to take too many things for granted. Instead of asking precise questions I just assume.....NOT A GOOD THING TO DO!

I know I'd never cheat anyone and I assume everyone else thinks the same way.

And too, in the case of my bad deal, it is remotely possible the coil died in shipment. Nautilus coils are known to be delicate.

If I needed another machine (which I don't), I wouldn't hesitate to by used. But I'd sure do some research and asking first.

digluv

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had very good luck buying used. I have bought 2 new detectors, the BHID that I traded off, and my non-waterproofed Sovereign GT, the other 7 detectors that I have owned since I started were all bought used and everyone arrived in perfect working order. I enjoyed buying and playing with them.

One came off of EBay, 3 off another site's for sale board and 3 from the for sale board here. I sold 3 of the detectors I bought used and I am down to 6 detectors now. 3 Minelab water machines (2 Excals, one with a WOT coil, and the custom waterproofed Sovereign GT with WOT coil), 1 Fisher 1235X for competition hunts, a Minelab Sovereign GT with WOT and Whites 6000 XL PRO for land hunting.

I am a water hunter and I perfer Minelabs, but I personally will not buy an Excal detector new now, you lose too much value in deprecation, their warranty is only good for a year now, and they currently no longer sell the extended warranty. I would rather buy used, save the money and let someone else lose the deprecation value. All of my excals are the older Blue Headphone style, never owned the New Excal II, if I find one used at a good price I would buy it, but I am in no hurry, or have any big interest at this time to get the new Excal II.

My latest Excal I bought used off another site's board for $475. I bought a used WOT coil for it for $80 plus shipping, splice for the WOT $20, added a custom built straight shaft for $25, and it is my primary water detector, with another Stock Excal (Looking for another used WOT coil for it) and the custom waterproofed Sovereign GT with WOT as backups. I have $600 in this one now, and a new Excal is $1200. I bet I could sell it a couple years from now and lose almost none of the money I have in it.

Why have 3 water units you ask...MURPHY'S LAW. This past summer at the height of water hunting season my Excal coil cracked, I sent it into Minelab with a spare coil I had from my Sov GT to replace it with (one of only 2 trips I have ever had to make to repairs with an Excal.) A week after shipping it off I cracked the coil on my waterproofed Sovereign GT, when like an idiot I stood it up coil side up on the side of my van while unloading, it fell over and cracked that coil...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I did not notice it cracked till I returned from hunting at the beach when I noticed it had become unstable and I didn't know why. Got home started checking it over and found the hairline crack.

I let it sit for 3 weeks hoping it will dry out from any water that might have got inside before repairing it. I will most likely have to replace the coil one day as some salt water must have leaked in. For 3 weeks I had no detector to use, and had trips to Miami planned with my hunting partners. Luckly Clyp had a spare Excal and loaned it to me for our trips.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought an traded with quite a few Tnet Members an every single one of them have been more than great to deal with an I would again in a heart beat with no regrets . :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread