Hello everyone!

petro89

Dec 4, 2009
Hello folks!

So I just received my first metal detector in the mail and as such I am posting my first message on this forum!

I chose toe Garrett Ace 250 Pro Pack. I have never used a detector before and after reading many many reviews this seemed like a good starting point... an easy-to-learn detector that wasn't too much but had some good features.

It'll be a while before I go out as I am in Michigan and we were hovering around 15 degrees today, but I am definately excited.

Any tips for a beginner?

Happy holidays to everyone and happy hunting!

Alex

Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net Alex.

I hunted with a buddy that was using a 250 with great success. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Read through the forums here, you'll pick up many tips.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. Where in Michigan are you, I am in Pontiac. :hello:

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
Welcome ,I feel your pain ,Im in Indiana and its like 10 here right now...you still may have time to hit some fields and tot lots to get the feel!

digluv

Dec 7, 2009
Welcome to the forum and fun.

Congrats on your new cool machine.

The best advice is learn the machine and do research to find the sites worth hunting.

To start with you can't beat private yards around very old houses and hotels.

digluv

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Welcome to the forum. My advice is to take the time you can't hunt and learn your machine. I mean every little detail of it you can.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
Welcome to our 8) cyberworld 8) you will really enjoy the hobby great people and its fun.
I too have a 250 and learned plenty about my detector from watching the videos listed in the forum. Scroll down and you will see the listing for videos and in there a man has the best pinpointer video you could ever want I even took nail polish and painted the spot he did on his detector and it really helps. Another thing I just started using is the 10/200 latest post it is a great way to stay current. You could always come down south and detect the beaches of the Gulf in any state.

OP
OP
P

petro89

Dec 4, 2009
I am in Chesterfield, MI. Hello in Pontiac!

Thanks for the tips! I spent a few hours yesterday testing the detector out to see the different things it does with different coins and types of metal. Works pretty good and I get the basics.

I'll use that tip about the recent posts. Thats a great idea!

Thanks everyone! I'm sure I'll learn a lot and have a lot of fun doing this!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alex... just read a lot! I filled my brain with so much info. the month before my detector arrived I could hold my own talking detecting never even having swung one. The biggest thing is not to give up because it's like trying anything else that's new, it takes a little time. I've been at it ten years and I don't know a single person who has stayed with it and not found good stuff. Just to give you an idea of how strange it could be is my diggin bud detected the entire year finding hundreds and hundreds (probably thousands) of old targets but his keeper (rare token) for the year came in the last few holes on the last day of our year. When people say you never know what will happen in this hobby they truly mean it! I've seen some crazy stuff and have many great stories.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread