Upvote 0

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rando, holy crap man.......That is quite a collection...................

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That was my first Metal detector....everyone laughed at me....so I moved over To Garrett.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if you look at the big picture, there is a Red Barron sitting on top of the wall

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Very Cool
I had an RB5. When they first came out a couple of us didn't want anything to do with them. We thought it would take the fun out of digging to know if a signal was good or not before we dug it. A friend of mine let me use his and I started popping up buttons out of a trashy area and decided I needed one.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like Carl Morlands collection. Unfortunately many of them no longer work.

PPratt you hardly changed brands when you switched to Whites as George Payne (the father of SPD/motion) moved over to Whites to design their early motion machines. Its often better to follow a designer than a brand.
Major problem with all the early SPD machines was the need for such a high speed of sweep to get depth and discrimination which was why they retained a TR discrimination mode (with no ground exclusion) for so long.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Pprat, thanx for the trip down memory lane. That machine came out in 1977, the year before Whites introduced their first motion discriminators (original 6000, then the 6db, etc...).

UK Brian hits the nail on the head in everything he said. The only thing I'll add, is I remember when we first started to see a guy swinging a Red Baron, and then the 6000s. We thought they were nuts, because of their obvious lack of know-how on the proper way to swing. You see, for the earlier all-metal TRs, then the VLF all-metal and TR disc, it was just assumed that you needed to go slow and pay attention to whispers, etc..... Imagine what it looked like to see someone going along like they were practicing their golf swings! But believe me, we stopped "laughing" when we saw the silver these guys were bringing in to the club meetings :tongue3: Within a few years, there wasn't anyone who didn't have a motion discriminator of some brand or another ::)

OP
OP
ppratt

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
I just checked Ebay there is one in brad new condition for 450.00 They say is very rare

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I wish I still had mine just to have it. I dug a lot of good relics with that thing. I lent mine to someone and ever got it back. Stupid me. I'm dumb enough to have lent 3 different machines out. One came back broken and 2 I never got back. Never again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread