Techniques at How to Metal Detect a Beach?

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spooky said:
Start at the beginning... keep going straight through the middle and when you get to the end, stop.
:icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first thing I do when I approach a beach is OBSERVE. Look for areas where evidence indicates people have been recently. I look for areas of trash on the beach and start there. I have had luck around Life Guard towers, and areas around public showers/rest rooms. Definitely hit the high tide line.

Another words, be selective in where you detect...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
depends on if you are hunting dry sand random target hunting, or wet sand erosion/storm hunting. If dry sand random hunting, then ...... as thrillathahunt says.... you go where people congregated (doh!).

If wet sand storm erosion hunting, then the places "people congregate" becomes meaningless, because you don't care about that at all. You are looking for where mother nature places the targets, in her "natural riffleboard/sluicebox" effect on the beach. After a good erosion (swells combining with high tides) event, all the heavy targets can be concentrated into certain zones (irregardless of where they were lost 5, 10, 50, or 100 yrs. ago). You have to know how to read the beach to know where those spots are likely to be. Look for cuts, inverted scallop scour-outs, steep slopes, wet spots that extend further up into the dry than the surrounding areas, etc...

For wet sand erosion hunting, you zig-zag around sloppily and fastly, looking for any metal targets at all (even if just iron you hear rejected). Once you get one coin, (or iron you hear rejecting), then slow down and start to work circles around it, to see if it's part of a pattern/pocket. If not, then procede on further down the beach looking more......

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
Coins4Cheese said:
When you go metal detecting at the beach, do you grid the place, or do you just go hunting at specific area's on the beach?
Look for cuts where the sand is not as deep. Deep sand equals no finds for the most part.
Look for lower areas of the beach where water collects.
Go to the beach when the tide is low. Go to the waters edge or to at least knee deep when the tide is out.
Look for cuts. Always look for the cuts in the sand.
Also scout out the beach where the towel line is...where the people put down their beach towels.
Best bet to find the best stuff is in the water or in the wet sand in the cut areas.

cavador del oro

Feb 6, 2010
The first thing I do is research the history of the beach. Old photos from the 40's, etc. Then I try to locate those old hot spots in the modern setting. Next I hunt the places most THers ignore like the ditches, edges of parking lots now paved, etc.
--Snowy

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I hunt the paths and slopes leading to the beach where hikers, surfers, swimmers and walkers seem to lose everything imaginable. Then I hunt the areas where I have observed the beach goers congregate--referred to above as the towel line.
Good hunting,
Don.......

andrew96

Feb 7, 2010
Coins4Cheese said:
When you go metal detecting at the beach, do you grid the place, or do you just go hunting at specific area's on the beach?

I read the waves till I find something that looks good. throw a line in, pot my rod in a sand spike, and detect around the area.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Yep !
Norm Garnush at the Golden Olde is the man who wrote the book on beach hunting.
Someone is maintaining his site, since he has passed.

IMO, beach hunting is easily split up into two different components. Hunting the dry beach sand,
and heading into the water. Different tools advisable for each one.

Good luck !
rmptr

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depends on if you are hunting dry sand random target hunting, or wet sand erosion/storm hunting. If dry sand random hunting, then ...... as thrillathahunt says.... you go where people congregated (doh!).

If wet sand storm erosion hunting, then the places "people congregate" becomes meaningless, because you don't care about that at all. You are looking for where mother nature places the targets, in her "natural riffleboard/sluicebox" effect on the beach. After a good erosion (swells combining with high tides) event, all the heavy targets can be concentrated into certain zones (irregardless of where they were lost 5, 10, 50, or 100 yrs. ago). You have to know how to read the beach to know where those spots are likely to be. Look for cuts, inverted scallop scour-outs, steep slopes, wet spots that extend further up into the dry than the surrounding areas, etc...

For wet sand erosion hunting, you zig-zag around sloppily and fastly, looking for any metal targets at all (even if just iron you hear rejected). Once you get one coin, (or iron you hear rejecting), then slow down and start to work circles around it, to see if it's part of a pattern/pocket. If not, then procede on further down the beach looking more......

Well said- gold rides an iron horse. Find the heavy metal- and only then start to listen for the pulltabs.

Last edited:

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if the advice in "Norm explains it all" touches on this one.
I found in my limited experience at the ocean that if I zig-zag toward and away from the water between the surf and the high tide line, there seems to be a band of targets. I find it and work it parallel to the surf.

heybubbajay

Feb 28, 2012
SC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I hit the beach, I look for the 1st berms or sand dunes of off the beach and hit the low areas behind them. The tides will wash artifacts over them and deposit anything in the low lying areas behind them...I found a nice gold ring recently this way...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread