Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's the trick
Just get the neve to introduce yourself and ask.

No they don't want holes all over you are right.

Just don't leave holes all over.

You reassure them the way you remove a target there is no evidence you ever dug.
Make sure you can do it. They are curious and they might look and see what your doing through the windows.

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
And you're not "digging"...You're "recovering".

The word "dig" brings visions of the DOT crew on the corner with their shovels!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BARGuy said:
And you're not "digging"...You're "recovering".

The word "dig" brings visions of the DOT crew on the corner with their shovels!
Good detectorist don't dig........Period. Many retrieve the target with the use of a probe or screw drive only in someones lawn. Digging is for woods and fields and even then when your done nobody can tell you distrubed the ground. When You can get a coin out and even you can't tell where you took it out you are skilled enough to ask someone for permission to hunt their lawn.

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
twinsrule said:
Just wondering, but how do you get peoples permission to dig on their land? I'm sure they don't really want holes all over. I've even heard of them even getting permission for digging their front lawn, but how, and why would people agree to this?

Keep a watch on the place until it could use a mowing. Then offer to do it for them if they'll let you detect and keep what you find.

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never use the word "hole". Explain that most targets are only a few inches down and retrieved by lifting a small plug. Never ask right after someone has mowed. If the grass is a few inches tall the flaps go back and you can't even tell you were there. Leaving no trace is an art, practice in your own yard. If it's a dry day carry a water bottle and always water the spot you've detected. Be cordial and talk to them about the hobby and things that you have found. Explain why you think their yard would be a good detecting spot. I'm still hesitant and and get nervous asking, but I've never been denied. Put the 1916 merc. in your pocket and give them the old key that you found. Also show them all the trash that you've removed. They will be greatful for the relic from thier properties past and most likely invite you back to detect again. Good luck. Rich.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You've got good answers so far. The problem, as other's have alluded to, is your characterization of the question:

"I'm sure they don't really want holes all over."

Well SURE! ::) And if you intend to leave "holes all over", then you need to return to detecting 101 class, and learn how to leave no trace of your presence.

Sure, this involves some psychology, because while you may know you'll do no harm, leave no trace, etc.... the fact is, if you show up at someone's front door with a shovel, and throw out words like "hole", "digging", etc.... then what do you expect? I just say this: "you won't even be able to tell I was there", and leave it at that. In this way, no talk is made of any interim necessary evils (probing, prying, popping, digging, or whatever you want to call it).

And here's another trick: If you perceive that someone is watching you from their windows or porch (a natural for someone who's just granted you permission, of course), be sure to START with shallow pennies and tabs. Ie.: the signals that blow your eardrums off, and you know it's going to be a tab, or quarter, at 1/2". Just probe it out with your screwdriver (no hole) and hand it to them. Do this with about 5 tabs and a surface penny or two, and guaranteed they'll get bored watching, and go back in their house :laughing7: THEN you can do some of the more iffy deeper ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread