Do most people pull off the pull tab ??

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Every time I go hunting a park, I ask myselfe the same question. How did all these pulltabs get here? ??? Some places are literaly carpeted with them! It gets me to wondering. Do most people remove them from the can? I can't remember EVER removing one from the can! Why would you!? They are made to STAY ON THE CAN! ??? ???
I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years!
I guess the only good thing about it is that if it wasn't for pulltabs, everyone would be out detecting.
Anyway, I just had to vent. I feel better now. (not)

Upvote 0

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always wondered this myself. I can see the old style where you had to pull it off, but not the kind thats been around since I was a kid. So if your doing it wrong, so am I.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. Sometimes they throw down the whole can then some ground crew runs over it several times with a very large lawn mower. :dontknow:

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
Your definitly not the only one whose wondered that. I've always imagined it to be a kid thing or something, but I think its just a habit for a lot of people to do. BAD HABIT!!!! :dontknow:

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just the litterbugs!! They throw them, we dig'em, detectorist have to get permits or banned from hunting the parks all together.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pull them off cause the school saves them for hospitals and Ronald's McDonald's House. But I don't throw them down......Matt

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't find many of the newer rectangle ones. I usually find the rings off of the older ones. I've seen kids doodling and bending the newer ones till they break off. :dontknow:

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
richm said:
I don't find many of the newer rectangle ones. I usually find the rings off of the older ones. I've seen kids doodling and bending the newer ones till they break off. :dontknow:

You must hunt only older sites. Or they do things differently where you live! Every park I hunt around here that is still in use has modern pulltabs everywhere!! Heck, some places around picknick tabels for instance produce several modern pulltabs with every sweep of the coil! It gets to where I welcome the occasional ring type tab because it tells me the area may produce some older stuff. I often hear the old mantra "dig everything" so I try to, but its hard.

pezking200

Mar 17, 2010
Tulsa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
I once saw a child MD'ing and his mother took the top off of her soda can an threw it out into the field, she told her son to find it, i dont think he ever did

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I would like to slap the shiat out of anyone that does... It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Although I disagree with throwing anything down, at least it makes more sense if it is made to be detachable to use the product (gum wrappers, etc.).. But it must be some really nervous people that find the need to wiggle it back and forth 10 times just to throw it on the ground... People really are pigs... I asked a young girl and her friend once recently when they were inquiring about my MD'ing if they did, and why?
They both looked at me with really big eyes and said "I never do that", but you could tell by their faces that they did.... At least I may have planted a seed.. Especially when I stated what lazy pigs I thought the people were who did it... Yeah, I say it like I feel it...

stevefisher7767

Jun 6, 2009
Hampstead N.C.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5,Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Minelab Excalibur II 800, Excal 1000 blue, Excal II 1000, Sovereign Elite.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think i am the only one digging in wrightsville beach N.C. ...I hunt the beach three times a week ,2 to 3hrs each trip.I always get a pouch full of the pull tabs,foil,cancer :icon_thumleft: packs,just alot of trash.I guess its also {cool} to bury your drink cans.

DGDancer

Jan 13, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, DFX, GP3000
Guess I'm gonna go to hell :) I pull the tab to mark my drink in company~ helps to stave off indirect
kiss's from my buddies. However I do put the tab in the trash or my pocket because I reeaaallllyyy
dont need to be digging it up later. Honestly though most people pull them off out of boredom as
it gives thier fingers something to do. Its good practice, digging pull tabs, is my thought even if it
is fustrating. Cant say how many times a mondern or old beaver tail tab has turned into a ring or
kids toy while digg'n and digg'n those little jewels of annoyance. :laughing9:

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your post reminds me of my dilemma..... I have yet to find ANYTHING besides a modern tab with my MXT on VDI of 24-26.... All of my ring finds (nice and junk) have either showed as foil, nickel, 1cent/10cent, or up in the higher numbers (80 or >)...
If I had a DFX, I would certainly be programming it to disc out anything 24-26...
I wonder how many MXT users have actually found rings att 24-26??
I definitely dig all 28 and above VDI's though...

4Nines

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2010
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's said that these modern pull tabs that are supposed to be attached are still finding their way off the cans. I guess this is why the old school pull tabs are illegal to use :dontknow:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when they outlawed the kind of tab that pulls off because it was being worn by all kinds of migratory birds. They also outlawed lead shot because they said it was poisoning migratory waterfowl. But I have never found lead shot in a duck's craw. Now many ducks fly off to die with non lethal steel shot merely wounding them. Sometimes I think "they" are nuts. Monty

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Silver Surfer said:
Your post reminds me of my dilemma..... I have yet to find ANYTHING besides a modern tab with my MXT on VDI of 24-26.... All of my ring finds (nice and junk) have either showed as foil, nickel, 1cent/10cent, or up in the higher numbers (80 or >)...
If I had a DFX, I would certainly be programming it to disc out anything 24-26...
I wonder how many MXT users have actually found rings att 24-26??
I definitely dig all 28 and above VDI's though...

I found a 18k wedding band that a friend lost in a soccer field that showed a solid 24vdi on my MXT. But so far 22 to 24 vdi are 99% going to be a pulltab! I hate to not dig for fear that I am missing that 1% gold! It is sooo frustrating! I never would have imagined that that many people pull the tabs off their cans.. From the amount I find, seems like everyone does it but me!
Oh yea, Silver rings have always shown up in the dime range or quater depending on size.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spooky said:
Monty said:
I remember when they outlawed the kind of tab that pulls off because it was being worn by all kinds of migratory birds. They also outlawed lead shot because they said it was poisoning migratory waterfowl. But I have never found lead shot in a duck's craw. Now many ducks fly off to die with non lethal steel shot merely wounding them. Sometimes I think "they" are nuts. Monty

Not an environmentalist or "eco nazi" by ANY means, but the lead problem was from the lead leaching out of the shot itself, in a microscopic yet very damaging amount.

Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it wasn't harmful.

Like mercury in fish.
And I have seen my fair share of Roosters (Pheasant) we called "Loony birds" due to the crazy way they acted, chasing cars, etc., due to them ingesting lead pellets as gruel.... I have found a lot of shot in their gizzards while cleaning... Lastly, I never had a problem waterfowl hunting with steel shot.. I simply didnt shoot birds that were obviously too high, and got damn good at calling them within range...
But they sure as hell could come up with an idea to get rid of these pop tops.. I cant remember where I saw them, but they were "push button" cans, you merely pushed a dime sized "button" that went downward in the can.. No tab to break off and toss. I wish that would have been made the norm.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mxtman2 said:
I found a 18k wedding band that a friend lost in a soccer field that showed a solid 24vdi on my MXT.
Was that a big ring, small ring, simple, etc.... I would hate to miss a ring that was 18k, but I sure get discouraged with the amount of tabs I dig, and have yet to find a ring in that range....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread