AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New White's Spectra V3i ??

Thanks Spooky; I'd like to get the V3 but hate to buy it if it's being upgraded or replaced by a newer one...

Ang

binky711r

Greenie
Feb 23, 2010
buffalo, new york
Detector(s) used
white's spectra V3, eclipse 5.3, bullseye pin pointer 2

im not sure that they would do that just yet as the v3 just had its 1 yr b-day this march, but i could be wrong but i hope im not cause i just bought the v3 last month lol

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Spooky said:
And HONESTLY, I think the V3 is STILL on par with my DFX 300, and I have used one extensively..
I'm not THAT impressed with it yet.

Holy barracuda, Batman!

Spooky and I agree on something!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Spooky said:
bscofield6 said:
Spooky said:
And HONESTLY, I think the V3 is STILL on par with my DFX 300, and I have used one extensively..
I'm not THAT impressed with it yet.

Holy barracuda, Batman!

Spooky and I agree on something!

Lol..
It happens..

Seriously..
I don't own one yeat, but I borrowed one for a total or about 30 hours all together, and it was just "a pain"
I seriously think it's overrated.
i think they are trying to make it "flashy" and concentrating on the display and "cool factor" with NO APPRECIABLE increase in performance.
I didn't see an improvement over the DFX and a Minelab it is NOT.

A friend purchased one. He had been a lifelong White's user, and had a DFX for years. To me, it just seemed like a DFX with a color screen and some other fancy features that might help you in certain situations. But having several different ID screens will just slow you down. I don't care what the numbers tell me or what those three fancy lines tell me about the target. I want to HEAR what the machine is telling me is in the ground.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

4-H said:
Wow your inbox is full and I was going to try and talk you into buying a Minelab explorer or etrac... :)

Send a note to Minelab... I'll buy an E-Trac when they make it lighter, ha. Until then, I will keep on buying used XSes. And I have gotten a LOT of others to do the same.

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro

I have not heard of any upgrades on the V3, If anyone would know it would be Steve at AMDS. Is it thawing out up there yet, Anchorage looks like most of the snow will be gone in a week. Hope to detect on my birthday this year. (4-6)

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I will be up in the Palmer area for a little over 2 weeks in July. :)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

I think Whites is trying hard to regain turf lost to First Texas.

I still think the best machines made today for land hobby VLF detecting are the Minelab Sovereign GT and Tesoro Tejon (really all the Tesoros are great).

I have spend many hours with the Explorer XS (with original coil) and it's also an excellent machine and just as good as any Explorer in my opinion (maybe better).

I'm too old to play the brand loyal game anymore but honestly take a Tesoro to a good location and you'll most likely never use one of those heavy clunker gimmicks again.

My ideal for land hunting would be hit the site first with the Tejon and go over it again with the GT or XS.

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i

The v3 does take some getting used to, it reminds me of something I heard somewhere once "do 100 things 3 or 4 times each and you may pick up some knowledge, do 1 thing 300 times and then you'll know something"

I cant understand the v3 bashing ::) . I used to have an xlt, which is a pretty good machine, then moved into a v3, redid a private yard I dug every signal in, or so I thought until I hit it with the v3. Anyway yeah its got a fancy screen, but it still does have tone ID :o Now I haven't been able to compare it to a dfx yet, but soon, if my one buddy can borrow one from his relative we can try that. I certainly would not claim its the best thing since sliced bread ;D

ALOT of metal detecting is the user :o not so much the machine. There is a man on these forums I hunt with now and again using an older machine that is like a coin magnet, cause he knows his machine. There is a forum for whites through their website, there you may find the answer on a v3i if there is going to be one.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

I would take a Minelab over a Whites any day................

Attachments

• 73.gif
    73.gif
    35.7 KB · Views: 677
  • 73.gif
    73.gif
    35.7 KB · Views: 684

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Had a dfx for a couple years. It just flustered me out in the field every time I wanted to change programs. I kept going back to my 6000Di Pro. It kicked the DFX's butt in my hands.

Like someone said...I KNEW the DiPro...my brain just couldn't grasp all the changes I had to make with the DFX and I figured I lost a lot of detecting time playing with it so much.

I did buy the Vision...when it first came out. Now called the V3 but some minor tweeks were made and they had to change the name because of something else called the Vision.
I found the Vision a whole lot easier than the DFX and I was finding coins right off the bat.

I went out with a buddy and he had an E trac. I found more clad and he found lots more pennies. He had a greater coin count but I was passing over zinc in search of silver.

If I had used his E trac...I probably wouldn't have found a thing...which goes back to "Know your machine"

And btw...I still love using my DiPro....something about analogue...a needle instead of a display...more a tone guy myself. I trust my 6000...still working on that trust thing with the Vision...lol

Al

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your input, advice and testimonials...I do believe we need to know the machine we use and maybe stick with it...but I'm ready to move on to another machine and want to be sure I thow my $ in the right direction.

I've wanted the Minelab Explorer since it came out but it was too $$ for me, so I stuck with my XLT...I can now almost afford the Explorer/Etrac and I've seen where it's pulled deep silver out of a "worked over" area...maybe this is the machine for me, don't know. Two good detecting buddies of mine who swore by Tesoros finally broke down and bought the Explorer. They detected a park that was truly worked over and came up with more than 50 silver coins, all deep! It was enough to make me think about a new detector.

Happy Hunting and thanks for your input. I'm not partial to any brand, I just want to get a brand that isn't a pain to learn and can find the deeper silver coins.

Ang

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!

Just thinking here but it seems possible that Whites would do an upgrade since maybe the V sales haven't been what they expected compared to the competition? Anyway just a thought and an attempt to get this thread back to the OP's question. :laughing7:

nw1886

Greenie
Apr 5, 2010

Hey all. Brand new to this forum and looks to be a good place! I've been running a metal detector since the early 70's. Started out with a few Garrett's (Good stuff back then.) and have been with Whites products since the early 90's. (I have used others but keep coming back to Whites cuz that's what I'm used to and they have been easy for me to grow into.)

Before the V3, My DFX was my baby. That machine is a go getter and it did me well for a lot of years. Decided to try out the new V3 and as much as I'd come to learn and enjoy the DFX, the V3 is heads above. Did I feel that way at first? Not at all! My "old shoe" was already learned and the V was just way too hot and sensitive. It took about a month to relearn and understand how to make it behave like I'd done with the DFX. Now? I'm frequently jumping up and down like a fourth grader for what this thing is doing for me.
You can set it fast,slow and DEEP, adjust for EMI and nasty ground, set-up I don't know how many different programs to your liking and on and on. All with the most advanced and easily navigable interface on the planet,large color screen and wireless/instant response headphones. Bad eyes? Poor hearing? Color blind? Adjust it to fit your needs. People that say it is complicated really have me scratching my head? All that is just that way for just the first little bit and then....very little adjusting or an instantaneous jump to another similar program if needed. Plus...as much as it can do...there is still a lot of headroom (with the processor and memory) for future advancements.

Bird shot at 6" with a 6" coil! Tiny copper roofing nails @ 9"! Indians @ 10+! Seated dime @9.5"... almost touching a fist size chunk of iron! Trace the length of a gold chain.

I know I'm new here. I'm not going to slam other very deserving, well designed machines but...the V3 rocks and I know this 50 year old guy is going to continue "jumping up and down like a fourth grader".

I too have re-hunted places that I have hunted with my DFX. The DFX is an excellent box and I did get it all. But...it won't no way no how, do what this new machine does.

If I learned a Minelab, Fisher or a Tesoro.... like the V, I'd appreciate those too (you can bet) but...this machine is a major advancement for detectorists and once even learned a little...earns major "stripes".

Thanks and just wanted to get my thoughts down here too. HH

Master Sarge

Feb 23, 2007
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3 / 6x10" DD & 10" DD Coils / Bullseye II Probe

The Spectra V3I was going to be an International model that came in different languages. It has not came out yet. There is no difference.

M-Taliesin

Apr 22, 2009
Aurora, Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300/Sun Ray Probe, White's MXT Pro/Sun Ray Probe, White's Spectra V3i/Sun Ray Probe!

Master Sarge said:
The Spectra V3I *snip*
There is no difference.

Howdy Sarge!
Oh, yes there is!!!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread