Asking permission on private land?

swent1

May 17, 2007
NH/MASS
Detector(s) used
tesoro deleon whites idx pro
I am curious about your techniques for getting permission to detect on private land. So far i have only hunted on beaches and public forests but know of some promising farmland near by that i have researched. Has anyone tried sending a letter to the landowners to ask permission or is a face to face meeting a better option? Does anyone have a standard format letter that they send to each landowner? Also is asking permission from a realty company an option?

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
swent1 said:
I am curious about your techniques for getting permission to detect on private land. So far i have only hunted on beaches and public forests but know of some promising farmland near by that i have researched. Has anyone tried sending a letter to the landowners to ask permission or is a face to face meeting a better option? Does anyone have a standard format letter that they send to each landowner? Also is asking permission from a realty company an option?

Thanks in advance

Personally I would ask them face to face. If someone sent me a letter asking permission to search my property, I would just toss it, while if they knock on my door and ask in person there is a lot better chance I would agree.

I would simply introduce yourself and explain that you enjoy metal detecting, looking for old buttons, wheat pennies and old farm relics....I would not say anything about hunting for silver coins, jewelry, or civil war artifacts. I would not offer a signed agreement, if someone approached me with an agreement to sign to search my land I would say NO immediately....Put yourself in their shoes, knowing nothing about metal detecting....

by the way, welcome to TreasureNet and good luck...... :icon_thumright:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, this is a hobby which is all about fun, not a job, and that is very important to get across.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Treasure Hunter said, ask in person (without MD in hand.) Tell them it is a hobby with you and you just like to find stuff. Don't mention anything about digging holes (a real NO-NO) Offer to find something that they might have lost. Clean up any trash and pack out all the trash you uncover. Thank the people and offer to show them what you found (natch, you don't show them the CW articles or old coins) If they invite you to come back, bring a pie or six pack for the owner. Good game hunters do this with prime farm land all the time. It is the guy with the pie that gets to come back.

If they say NO!!!! thank them for their time and offer a card with your phone number to show you are legit. :coffee2: Never get PO'ed as it is their property and put yourself in their shoes.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
As Treasure Hunter said, ask in person (without MD in hand.) Tell them it is a hobby with you and you just like to find stuff. Don't mention anything about digging holes (a real NO-NO) Offer to find something that they might have lost. Clean up any trash and pack out all the trash you uncover. Thank the people and offer to show them what you found (natch, you don't show them the CW articles or old coins) If they invite you to come back, bring a pie or six pack for the owner. Good game hunters do this with prime farm land all the time. It is the guy with the pie that gets to come back.

If they say NO!!!! thank them for their time and offer a card with your phone number to show you are legit. :coffee2: Never get PO'ed as it is their property and put yourself in their shoes.

More great advice......

OP
OP
S

swent1

May 17, 2007
NH/MASS
Detector(s) used
tesoro deleon whites idx pro
thank you all for your advice i guess i just have to get up the courage to knock on some doors the worst they can say is no

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do it all the time, did it today twice, got told yes both times

1. be polite
2. introduce yourself, explain your hobby breifly
3. I tell them I like to look for old pennies, buttons relics etc.
4. I assure them I am VERY neat and will leave no trace I have even been there.

it is way easier than you think

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread