Don need no stinking plugs

Rusted Nail

Jan 28, 2010
Nord Dakota Der A
Detector(s) used
Old Relic/Garrett -ADS Master Hunter- Deepseeker/ Whites - Coinmaster
Well I was concerned about my butchering of the plugs retrieving coins and decided I would go out and discriminate out foil,tabs,nickels and search the top of the ground ,did amazingly well, Moved the grass around with my foot and came up with 7 clad quarters in 2 hours at camp grounds near by. Between sloppy campers and drop happy swimmers at the near by lake it looks like my future in metal detecting won't be so grim :laughing9:

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try using a screw driver for a probe on those shallow coins and pop them out.
You will do less damage to the grass if the ground is soft.

OP
OP
Rusted Nail

Rusted Nail

Jan 28, 2010
Nord Dakota Der A
Detector(s) used
Thanks, I was digging so much trash and there is plenty of it that I figure I'll work on the shallow stuff first then get serious about the deeper stuff at an older site. But I'm liking my new Whites Coinmaster and getting better at what to dig :icon_thumleft:. Digging up the sand I have no problem 8). I'm sort of amazed at how hard mother nature is on coins that are in the ground, Missed silver on two of the quarters by a year , the rest were very late issues and very tarnished, if I keep up at this rate I'm going to need a tumbler ;D.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
rusted-nail, there are just some sites that are simply not worth it to "strip-mine", as you have deduced. You would end up with 1000s of tabs, foil wads, can shrapnel, etc... for each piece of gold :( In those cases, you're simply better off to find a better hunting ratio environment (ie.: swimming beaches), if gold jewelry is your goal. There are plenty of turfed urban parks where I strictly go for silver/copper. And in some cases, if those turfed urban junky parks aren't that old, and I'm just goofing off, I have, on occasion, just gone for the quarters. At one particular flea-market turfed lawn (that only dated to the late 1960s), I dug over 100 quarters in a little over an hour.

For those with a relic mindset who *bristle* at the thought of passing anything except iron, the sure-cure for them is to take them to a blighted junky inner-city park, and turn them loose. They will either start cherry picking a little (based on depth, or TIDs, etc...) or they will "leave for greener grounds" in a heart-beat.

OP
OP
Rusted Nail

Rusted Nail

Jan 28, 2010
Nord Dakota Der A
Detector(s) used
I'm starting to figure things out and plan on taking my time at this park as there are not many other places near by , and don't want to be digging up the country side. But I think this place will keep me busy for some time.

That video is right on and used that method on last outing with success, helps to have depth ID on MD'r to id how deep to start.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions